Reload this Page >

Sanibel/Captiva Islands Fla

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Avalon

My husband and I are planning an April 2003 trip-(Easter week). Last year we did Disney and loved it (especially the weather). We usually vacation in California Easter week but would like to try Florida again. We are looking into Sanibel and Captiva and would appreciate any info. Thanks.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Beachbum

Hi Avalon,
I'm sure you'll get lots of responses, as many people seem to ask about Sanibel/Captiva. Make sure to do the search for pages of info. We were there in May two years ago, and it is lovely! If it's just you two, there are good resturants, you can bike everywhere, but don't know if the beaches will be very quiet..that's a prime school vacation time. Weather will be much like Disney was, and the beaches should be full of shells!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Avalon

Thanks Beachbum
I guess I should have mentioned my kids (ages 6 and 10) so the kid filled beaches won't be a problem. I figured kid's would be assumed because who would go to Disney if they didn't have to.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Polly

My husband and I went to Captiva a few years ago and said then, we'd love to return with the children some day. I think your kids would love it. We stayed at the big resort (what the heck was its name??) and they have an open air trolley that goes through the property and lots of fun stuff for the kids to do. I don't know about the crowds though.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 07:07 PM
jo

It's a grea time of year to go to Captiva. The big resort is South Seas resort. They have programs for children and golf and tennis plus pools and the gulf. Might be pricey at that time. Tween Waters on Captiva is an alternative.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Debbie

I lived in the Ft. Myers area 25 years, and we went to Sanibel pretty often. My kids and I both enjoyed the bike trips up and down Periwinkle...lots of little shops along the way and don't overlook a visit to the Dairy Queen there. There's a little picnic area on the right side of Periwinkle soon after Dairy Queen where you can park and look at the alligators nearby in a little inlet.(there's a fence)

There are several public beach areas thru-out the 2 islands. And of course Ding Darling wildlife preserve.

We always parked at the lighthouse-theres a great path back thru the woods there-all tropical lush and green and nice and cool...the kids loved it! You'll find the public restrooms tucked at the end of the path. Beautiful beach, but do be careful of the local currents...they can be very strong and unpredictable if you do take a dip.

You'll find an assortment of cozy restaurants and gift shops everywhere...even local theatre and
little grocers.

Just one other suggestion...while there try and get to Farmer's Market restaurant off Edison In Ft. Myers...not too far off the island(you're gonna be there anyway).The food is generous and southern and the folk are locals.

Have a heavenly time...I'm homesick now.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Elaina

We have been to Sanibel several years in a row with our children. Usually rented a condo at Sundial. Rent form the owners if you can, much cheaper than renting form Sundial. Last year we rented a house on Captiva right on the bay. It was great! You will love this area.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Eva

Here are some websites for you to try :
gulfcoastrentals.com (look for Sanibel)
vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner)
sanibel-captiva.org (Ch. of Commerce).

I agree that it is less expensive to rent direct. We've done it for years.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Duane

Great idea about renting a condo. We try to do that anytime we are staying a week or more. Sanibel is great. We were there this last weekend. When you live here, you tend to take it for granted. I keep telling my wife "and to think, people pay thousands of dollars to visit here" I need to take more time to enjoy it.
Have a great trip,
Duane