Search

NOLA in Feb!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOLA in Feb!

Hi all-

A friend and I will be going to NO from February 11-17. I'm reading reading reading, but now I've got some questions.

We're renting a car because we'll be working with Habitat for Humanity about a half hour outside of the city, and I want to make sure that we get to see some of the sights at night. Our workday ends at 3:30, so we should be able to get some stuff in, but anything that's strictly daytime is out because of our time constraints.

Here we go....

Ghost tour vs. cemetery tour - Stupid question perhaps, but is one better than the other? My friend got a recommendation to go to the cemetery tour, but I'm sure it's better with certain companies. Comments, recs?

Preservation hall - worth it to go when the "preservation hall jazz band" isn't there? Other recs for music?

Swamp tour - Any company particularly good?

Parking - HELP! All I'm hearing are horror stories, but since we're a half hour outside of the city, it seems silly to not get a car. Where can we park?

Plantations - ANY chance we can see one of these towards the evening hours? Maybe having the car is helpful here?

I think I can fake it on the food from reading the other threads, but I'm happy to hear anybody's particular favorites.

Thanks SO much for any advice!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:17 PM

I assume you are talking about parking when you come into the city? That being the case, and being new to the city, I would valet - park at one of the large hotels right downtown off of Canal street...then all you have to do is cross the street to the Quarter and have good security for your car and when you get back it is well travelled and lit up. Cost is about the same as the outdoor lots.

I dont know what your budget is for food, but if you want something on each end of the scale.....ACME Oyster House is always a great place to get a little of everything, and convenient. They tend to have some of the best oysters in town...and the characters behind the counter are always entertaining. It is always a busy place which adds to the ambience.

On the other end of the scale....I would do Emiral's ....as I keep saying...right now it is ON FIRE...new chef new menu and it is the best I have experienced since it opened.

Sunday Brunch or weekend lunch/dinner Commanders is always a great choice.

Not sure where half hour is outside of the city but there are lots of great neighborhood haunts.

Plantation tours should not be a problem especially if you have a car....if you are into historical things, then you should try to get to NOMA..their collection is incredible for a city the size of New Orleans

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Can't offer any real advice about parking still live there can do better - but remember that you will be there in the week leading up to Mardi Gras. GREAT GREAT time to be in New Orleans, but a little more chaotic than usual, especially with parking and traffic.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Wow...my mouth is watering just looking at the menu for Commanders!

I have to admit, the timing isn't accidental. We're definitely going to be catching a few parades while we're in town.

The traffic doesn't concern me so much (coming from NYC) but I just feel completely lost with the parking. Will probably take Mark's advice and valet so I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks guys...keep it comin!! : )
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:52 PM

I'll try to quickly reply to your questions:

Cemetary tour is preferred to ghost tour.

If Preservation Hall is open, then you need to go there.

Swamp tour - since you're letting out at 3:30 PM and it takes a good 30 - 45 minutes to get out to the swamps, by the time you got out there, you'd only have an hour and a half of daylight so it's probably best to skip for this trip. Note also that you won't be able to see alligators this time of year.

You can always find parking at Canal Place and sometimes the lots right near the French Market and along the river. You can always park at Harrah's garage as well...

I wouldn't recommend seeing plantations at night as you'll miss their true beauty.

Hope this helps and Enjoy New Orleans!