Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans - Kids, Hotel, Restaurants and Parking

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is planning on going to NO for the first time in July. My husband and I are travelling with our kids, ages 12, 6 1/2, and 4. I am debating between staying in the French Quarter and near Six Flags. It seems parking in the FQ is around 15-20 per day per hotel. The Six Flags hotel has a shuttle, but it is limited and possibly unreliable. My question is, would I be better off to stay near Six Flags at a much lower price and either use their shuttle or drive into the FQ and pay for parking (would I just find a parking garage there???) or pay a little more plus the parking charge but not be inconvenienced with the shuttle/driving into the FQ and finding parking? I just don't know how difficult parking is there and also how the prices vary. If we are going to do the touristy thing, is there a better place to park and do so? We could always use public transportation while in there, too.

Also, are there restaurants that are great food that are also kid friendly? Is the dress pretty dressy most places?

Thanks so much.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

How do I post this message in the New Orleans area?

Thanks,

Kelly
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:46 PM

Six Flags is not in the best part of town. Be VERY careful booking out there!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 01:17 PM

I would stay in the Quarter. I don't know what hotels you are looking at near Six Flags, but agree with John - that is not a "desirable" area. I have not been out that way in a while, but unless there is a new hotel on the Six Flags property, pay more and stay in town. Another option might be to stay in the Garden District and take the streetcar to the FQ. You may find better parking rates there.

Are you driving here or renting a car? Depending on your plans, you may be better looking into options of getting to Six Flags from the FQ and not having a car at all. If you are driving, consider that parking for a full day in the FQ would be about the same as at the hotel (around $15). Parking can be difficult, though not as bad as some cities. If you do plan to drive in everyday, park on Decatur near Jax Brewery.

I think you will find all types of dress in restaurants - especially in the Quarter. I wouldn't go to Galatoire's in shorts, but it is HOT in July and it is a tourist area so most places will be pretty laid back. Sorry, I can't really help with kid-friendly restaurants - just tell me where you're going and when so I can go somewhere else. Just kidding...
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 01:22 PM

It depends where you'll be spending most of your time but my advice is not to stay near 6 Flags. That area is not the best. Going to the park is fine but hotels are cheaper there for a reason. It isn't the most attractive area of town & there's not much else to do there.

There are many places to park in the Quarter but they are not free. Some of the hotels may offer a discount rate. We usually park in the huge lot behind Cafe Du Monde (by Jax Brewery) when we go to the Quarter. It is open parking though. There are several parking garages in the Quarter near Canal.

Here is a site with a list of different parking options. You might want to call some of them & see what they would charge for you to park there during your stay.
http://www.neworleansonline.com/newo...fqparking.html
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 01:43 PM

A bit off topic, but since you'll be with kids, I highly recommend the Homewood Suites on Poydras. Found it via tripadvisor.com. Their Two bedcroom suite would be perfect for a family of 5. The location is about a 4 block walk from Fr Quarter, and 2 blocks from the St Charles Streetcar which will take you intot the Garden District. Don't know about their parking situation, but check the website for info.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. This is what I needed to know. We are not actually going to Six Flags at all. I just wondered if staying out a way might be better. I see that's not the best choice though.

As far as restaurants, I don't mind dressing up a bit, my kids don't mind dressing up a bit, but my husband does! LOL! He likes to wear a baseball jersey and shorts.

It seems that most of the hotels in and near the FQ offer parking by the day for anywhere between $20-25.

I will check out Homewood Suites and also the parking URL.

Thanks again for the useful info.

By the way, are there other areas that are not in a good neighborhood (FQ, garden district, convention area, etc.)?

Kelly
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 02:44 PM

I'd try to find a hotel within the city. Try the usual Expedia/Orbitz/Travelocity sites for some good deals at the Hilton, Marriot has several places, Sheraton and look at Fodor's reviews on lodging, which is usually pretty reliable. City buses and trolleys are the best way to travel around the city by getting multi-trip passes. It seems the majority of restaurants don't have a "dress code". Be careful of the area from Rampart St. and on Canal St. as you go out towards City Park! The Garden district is very nice to walk around, we stayed in the Warehouse District, which is okay, too. Make sure to take your kids to the Zoo--you can take a boat to get there or take the St. Charles trolley.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 03:18 PM

If you don't want to pay for parking, try looking at Bed and Breakfast's in the Garden District, which is a safe neighborhood. There are also some hotels that have free parking in that area such as Hampton Inn on St Charles. You can take the Streetcar to the French Quarter and Audubon Zoo, etc. Honestly, it's so hot, you may want a hotel in the FQ with a pool and just pay the parking.
Some restaurants my kids (8 & 11) enjoy are Cafe Du Monde, House of Blues, Muriels, WOW (near the Zoo on Magazine), Cheesecake Bistro (St Charles) and Nacho Mamas.&.Rocky's Pizza (on Magazine in Garden District).
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:37 PM

I agree with Uptowngirl that B&B's in and around the FQ might be a very good choice if they have their own parking. There are a few inside the FQ, and several in the Garden District. And along Esplanade just a few blocks outside the FQ are a few nice B&B's. My choice among those is Ashton's B&B, www.stayatashtons.com. From there, with private parking inside the property, you can either drive to places you want to go, or you can catch a cab for a reasonable fee. Good luck.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:48 PM

Take a look at the Hotel Dauphine . . in the Quarter one block from Bourbon Street . . nice pool and decent rooms. We never take a car to NO but I did notice a large parking area near the entrance.

http://www.dauphineorleans.com/index.html

Rich
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:55 PM

Another option would be to stay in the Metairie area. Parking is usually free and a lot of the hotel chains have shuttles that run to the FQ. They also have many good casual places to eat out that way. Enjoy!!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:58 PM

Le Richelieu is located in the French Quarter and has free self-parking - no tipping valet each time you want to use your car. Also, I've stayed there twice and think it's a great place to stay.

http://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:44 AM

With children, you MUST have a kitchen/kitchenette available. I would look into the Homewood Suites suggestion. July will be very hot and humid. A pool is also a must, especially for exhausted children! You may want to also check out Hampton Inn near the Convention Center or the one on St. Charles Avenue. Mulate's is within a block or two from the Hampton Inn/Convention Ctr. This is a fun cajun (casual dinner) restaurant where the family can hear a cajun band and learn to dance! Have fun but you'll need to pace it slow with little ones in July.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:00 AM

The Chateau hotel on Chartres also has free parking & a pool but I didn't stay there with 3 kids only one. I would also suggest staying in a chain hotel on the fringes of the FQ in order to get more amenities. Isn't there a Hilton at the Riverwalk?

We ate at Cajun Cabin (Food & live music with dance lessons); Cafe Pontalba (Creole); Maximo's (Italian): its hard to get a bad meal in NOLA!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:14 AM

Casual dress is fine in most places. I wouldn't where jeans to the better restaurants but you certainly don't have to dress up. The lower priced restaurants are for the most part kid-friendly, many of children's menus. Keep in mind though that these places get very crowded, with long waits at prime dinner time (usually after 6:30ish). These lower end, crowded places usually don't take reservations either.

Your kids may enjoy City Park. Besides the art museuma dn sculpture garden there's a kiddie amusement park, playgrounds, and a botanical garden with model trains. Also the acquarium is a must.

A car is more of an inconvenience in the FQ. It'sd congested, and parking would be difficult. Most areas outside of the FQ are accessible by the cable cars.