relatively cheap parking in Nola?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been looking around for ways to avoid the extreme parking prices set by the hotels in the downtown area... is there an alternative that is still fairly safe and cheaper? will be going to orleans for valentines so would appreciate any suggestions... thanx
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:33 PM

Try the lot over by Jax Brewery.
There is also a tiny lot over on Conti, near Burgundy.

*MINA*
New Orleans
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Dan

Elysian Fields and Chartres is the site of a Park One lot that charges $5 overnight. It's near the French Market.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

thanx for the tips... does anyone have any suggestions for the nighttime as well? $30 a night is going to kill me if i dont find an alternative .....
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 08:14 PM

stefami - just curious - are you driving to NOLA? If not, why rent a car? New Orleans is a great place to get around on foot and parking is outrageous or unsafe. I wouldn't leave a car overnight near the French Market on a dare.

If you want to make some side trips - rent a car later in your trip. Good luck.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 04:36 AM
OliveOyl

Agreed..first I wouldn't have a car in NO if there were any way to avoid it, and secondly, no way on earth I'd leave a car out overnight in the Quarter..especially my own! gt;

Old Feb 7th, 2003, 05:13 AM

There is free parking under the overpass approach (U.S. 90) to the Greater New Orleans Bridge over the Miss. River. Best and safest spot is anywhere under the bridge between St. Charles Ave and Camp Street. I often park there and walk to work on Poydras. Many who work downtown do so. During the day its absolutely safe, however I can't speak for the night, though around St. Charles there is always traffic. You can also catch the street car from there to get into the Quarter. I am not saying I would recommend this but it is one option. Another option would be to check into your hotel then drive up St. Charles Ave. preferably past Napolean Ave. closer to Tulane Univ. and park on the street and then catch the street car back to the Quarter, assuming you are staying in the Quarter. Just leave your car there until time to leave (though someone will have to go retrieve it). I live uptown and do not have off street parking (i.e. I have to park on the street, no choice) and have never had any problem with vandalism.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

thanx guys .. your suggestions were much appreciated.. unfortunalely we are driving to new orleans from tx so we have to have a car.. oh well.... thanx again
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Dan, FYI, the Elysian Fields/Chartres lot is now $8 for 24 hours. Not sure if it's permanent or just a Mardi Gras-season price adjustment! Still a good deal overall.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:50 PM

Hi Stefami, I didn't know there was such a thing as cheap parking in the French Quarter! Good luck! Respectfully, Leslie