Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

No Carry-on Luggage Allowed UK-US flights!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Terror alert elevated to critical in UK.
*UK to US flights under scruntiny for terrorists activity
*All passengers will be hand searched.
*Expect long delays at all British airports.
*No carry-on luggage will be permitted.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

"The current threat level is assessed as critical as of 10th August 2006 - this means that an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK." BBC News.

"Security at all UK airports has been increased and additional security measures have been put in place for all flights.

With immediate effect, the following arrangements apply to all passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and to those transferring between flights at a UK airport.

All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.

Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items. Nothing may be carried in pockets:

Pocket-size wallets and pocket-size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags)

Travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets)

Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg, diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic

Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases

Contact lens holders, without bottles of solution

For those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags)

Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes)

Tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs

Keys (but no electrical key fobs). All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be X-ray screened.
Pushchairs and walking aids must be X-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate.

Extra time

Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.

There are no changes to current hold baggage security measures.

Regrettably, significant delays at airports are inevitable. Passengers are being asked to allow themselves plenty of extra time and to ensure that other than the few permitted items listed above, all their belongings are placed in their hold baggage and checked in.

These additional security measures will make travel more difficult for passengers, particularly at such a busy time of the year. But they are necessary and will continue to keep flights from UK airports properly secure.

We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place for a limited period only.

In light of the threat to aviation and the need to respond to it, we are asking the travelling public to be patient and understanding and to cooperate fully with airport security staff and the police.

If passengers have any questions on their travel arrangements or security in place at airports they should contact their airline or carrier."
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:46 PM

Thank you Speedbuggy, I think this is already posted on the Europe forums.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

It is, thanks! But it is something I believe we should all be aware of, and not all posters on the US board go to the Europe board.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:18 AM

Thanks Speedbuggy. Agree with you--this situation is something we all should be aware of, on any forum, or part of the world.

Also, no cell phones, ipods, etc allowed.

WOonder when/if the US will follow suit?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:30 AM

Carryon threads have a whole different meaning this morning.

Congrats to Scotland Yard and the great detective work that foiled a massive plot.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:50 AM

In London right now -- flights are being cancelled, airports may close later today. Chaos as flights can't leave or land. Most airlines are allowing re-booking for no penalties. Might be worth considering.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:13 AM

CNN just said anyone flying anywhere out of the US should arrive at the airport more than 2 hours ahead of time for the extra security here.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:16 AM

The FOX News guy just said no liquids on US flights as well - do not know if that is just international or domestic as well (for those following threads on Airline board - that should solve all the bathroom issues posted lately!)
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My sister is due to fly back to the US from London tomorrow. She is in Prague right now.I hope her flight can get out of London since our 94 year old father is not well.
I will be a nervous wreck until she is here safely on US soil!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:57 AM

Not just the UK airports have big problems, but also many european airports had to delay or even cancel some flight to/from the UK.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:13 AM

UGH!
Well at least the plot was foiled! thank God!!
I am headed to Turks and Caicos on SAt. morning. I have a 6am flight I am going on--now I ll have to leave around 1 am!!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:23 AM

The same liquid restrictions apply on US flights as well.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:15 AM

I truly undertstand security precautions, but please, please dont' tell me we can't use electronic devices like portable DVDs and laptops? What will I do with my kids?!

My husband will be bummed, too. He doesn't read, so he heavily relies on ipods and his laptop to keep him occupied on long flights.

Can anything else go wrong in our world??? (This last comment is more global, and does not refer to the mere fact that my son won't be able to watch a DVD on a plane).
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:21 AM

What will the future hold in store??

It's gotta be one or the other. Meaning, liquids will need to be checked from now on or electronics will not be allowed on board.

How they (TSA) will be able to keep up with this one is beyond me.

Karens, I understand what you mean. But what concerns me more is the fact that we unfortunately have to explain to kids the reasons for these exclusions. A frightening way to have to grow up now-a-days.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Suerich68

Is anyone else worried about the partial group of Arab students who "disappeared" I think in Colorado a few weeks ago?

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Karen-
I hear you but what did we do when we were kids> I am 40 so I had no computers or dvd's when growing up..we used to use our brains more lol back then!
I am off to the Caribbean SAt. and I have 19 mo old twins.Should be interesting.....I better pass out the earplugs on the flight!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Sue-I hadn't heard that one! ay ay ay!! Scary world we live in today isn't it? Thank God Scotland yard foiled their attempt at this crap.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:35 AM

As the Madagascar penguins (and Beavis and Butthead) would say...

this s*&ks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -