NJ to NYC Train Question

Search

NJ to NYC Train Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJ to NYC Train Question

I'll be taking a train (one way) from Cranford, NJ to NYC Penn Station in April. Seems I must take the Raritan Line from Cranford to Newark Penn Station and then transfer to one of two other lines, Northeast Corridor (NEC) or North Jersey Coast Line (NJCL)to go on to NYC Penn Station. My question is, will the $5.50 fare ticket I buy in Cranford take me all the way to NYC's Penn Station, including the one transfer? Or, will I have to buy a second ticket at Newark Penn Station when I transfer to the other line? And, for anyone familiar with Newark Penn Station (this is NOT the Newark Airport stop, but rather one stop closer to NYC after the airport), how hard will my transfer be to figure out once I'm there? Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:01 AM

Hi Eliztrav,

The $5.50 fare includes going all the way to NY Penn. I live in Union, two stops closer on the same line and paid $4.55 fare to NY Penn on Thursday last week.

It is correct that you have to change trains in Newark to continue on to NY Penn Station, but you just buy one ticket from Cranford to NYP and they check it on the first train and you take the ticket with you onto the second train.

The Raritan Valley Line, which is the one Cranford is on, terminates at Newark. As the train arrives at Newark they announce what track the NY train to transfer to will come on. Sometimes it's even on the same track. It's easy, and many people will be doing the same thing.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

tpatricco: Many, many thanks! Now that worry over an unfamiliar travel route is completely put to rest. Hopefully, it will be a speedy & uneventful trip, because I may have to repeat it 5 mornings during the week I'll be there!
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Hi eliztrav, glad to help! No worries...LOTS of people will be doing the exact same thing as you, especially at rush hour!

Do you have to park at the train station? Parking is sparse & primarily for permit holders in that area. If you do I can find out for you. I'll be near there tonight.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

TPATRICCO: Thanks for your offer and the warning. Fortunately, I'll be dropped off at the train station so I can go play in Manhattan while my friend goes to work and then joins me later. I think I have the better end of that deal! But I really appreciate your offer to help.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:03 AM

Great...just wanted to make sure you were prepared if necessary! Have a great time visiting NJ/NYC
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:16 AM

Another way to go in is by bus, which goes to the Port Authority Terminal in Manhattan at 42nd St and 8th Ave, close to Times Square. No changes required. The bus stop is at the Cranford train station, buses run roughly on the hour and half hour, but check the schedule at njtransit.com. The trip takes about 45 minutes, less if you go off rush hours. This would be a good option if you go in AFTER rush hour, say after 9 am and before 3 pm; although even at rush hour traffic is generally not too bad, and the buses get a special lane at the Lincoln Tunnel so there is no waiting there.

Also, if you take the train and you want to go downtown to the Wall Street/World Trade Center area, you can change in Newark and take the PATH subway to the World Trade Center stop in lower Manhattan. You can get to China Town, etc from here as well as Wall Street and South Street Seaport and ferries for Ellis Island, etc. Costs $1.50 (going on memory here, may have been raised). If you do that, you would buy a train ticket from Cranford to Newark only, you pay for the PATH by cash at turnstiles before you enter. Website for PATH is http://www.panynj.gov
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cicerone, for the additional information. Nice to know there are good options.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Nice posts....that's what this site is about!

Have a great trip....and thanks for helping another...