Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

"Nine" starring Antonio Banderas in NYC-tix on sale yet?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Kevin

We will be in NYC the last weekend in March and my wife wants me to buy tickets for the play "Nine". We always seem to get shut out of all the good plays that come along. This one is suppose to be HUGE (like Producers and Hairspray). Anyone know if or when tickets go on sale. Don't want to be shut out as we usually are. Thanks, Kevin

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Arlene

I believe the pre-sale tickets for Gold AmEx holders are on sale now. You should call Telecharge to inquire. You're right, I'd bet my last dollar that this will be sold out every night so you're on the right track to get your tickets NOW. I think it previews March 12 (I recall this date because it's my daughter's birthday).

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Anthony

Phone Sales starts Nov. 24th
Check the link to the theater company:
http://www.roundabouttheatre.org/season_2002.htm

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Frank

Kevin: Tickets were offered to subscribers in August. Subscribers are those who ordered a 4-Play series. Therefore, the best seats are probably already spoken for. As others have indicated, phone orders go on sale later this month.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Bruce

You can order the tickets now if you are an AMEX gold/platinum customer by calling
1-800-292-9465.
I called and bought my tickets. I paid $100 each for 2 ticket but I was able to get in the center orchestra section (not as close as I would have preferred). Yes, this will be a huge seller. Tickets will obviously go quick so if you happen to have a gold Amex, call now. Otherwise you'll have to wait until 11/24.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Will

Hairspray and The Producers...move over!!

Here comes the best musical yet from what my theater friends are predicting. Buy as soon as you can!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Ellen

As a subscriber, I can confirm that a good deal of the seats are pre-sold. However, a Friday night may be easier to get than any other night. Most of the people we speak to (regulars we have gotten to know over the years) are like us. We get our subscription tickets for weeknights so that there is less of a chance for a conflict with weekend family obligations. The tickets are purchased in the spring, and sent out in the fall, for all 4 shows. You don't know what dates you are getting in advance, just the day of the week.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Carla

Curious about this play. What is the plot? (I'm a real novice huh?) Someone said it is a musical. Any web site I can read up on it? We too would like to go to NYC this spring and always take in a play or 2 or 3...
Thanks,
Carla

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:16 AM
YouAsked

Carla: Song titles are in caps.

NINE, the Tony Award-winning Best Musical of the 1982 Broadway season, concerns the travails of Guido Contini--a forty-year-old Italian movie director-- and the twenty-one women in his life, who first appear as an orchestra he mentally conducts (OVERTURE). Guido, whose last three films have been flops, is suffering from a mid-life crisis at the worst possible time-- in the middle of his life (GUIDO'S SONG). He is vacationing at a Venetian spa and trying to repair his crumbling marriage to his wife, Luisa (MY HUSBAND MAKES MOVIES). But his mistress, Carla, is also in Venice and provides considerable distraction (A CALL FROM THE VATICAN).
Guido is also enamored of his fomer protegee Claudia Nardi, the actress, and is hard pressed to choose from among the three woman in his life (ONLY WITH YOU). To make matters worse, his Parisian producer, Liliane La Fleur, insists that he create a movie musical for her (FOLIES BERGERES) though Comtini, as yet, hasn't the slightest idea for a film.
Tormented, Guido is haunted by three earlier moments in his life when, as a child of nine, he was fawned over by his mother and aunt (NINE), intrduced to sexuality by the exuberant whore Saraghina (TI VOGLIO BENE/BE ITALIAN), and punished at his parochial school for having gone to visit Saraghina on the beach.
When almost all seems lost, Claudia comes to Venice and inadvertently inspires Guido's idea for his movie (UNUSUAL WAY). The film begins rehearsal immediately but, while it is in progress, Guido violates a trust with Luisa and alienates the other women in his life (SIMPLE, BE ON YOUR OWN).
Abandoned by Luisa, Carla, and Claudia, and with his film doomed to failure, Contini becomes seriously disoriented (I CAN'T MAKE THIS MOVIE), and fantasizes suicide.
He is saved by the spectre of his nine-year-old self, Little Guido, who urges him toward maturity (GETTING TALL), after which Guido abandons at last his orchestra of women and sets out in search of his one true love-- Luisa.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Patrick

This American Express deal sounds like a bit of a rip-off to me. I called and tried four different performances the end of May. The best seats they could offer were either the very last row of the orchestra center section or the two extreme side seats three rows from the back. They offer no mezzanine seats at all -- was really hoping for lst row mezzanine. In other words, they must not have a whole lot of seats that were given to them. I expect this to be popular also, but will just have to check to see what opens up with regular sales on November 24. The last time I tried one of these American Express presale deals, it was the same story. I later got great seats from Ticketmaster for the same dates than Am. Express said were sold out.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Howard

Patrick, your comments about the Amex offer are pretty accurate. They only get x number of tickets per performance. I ran into the same thing in getting tickets for Paul Newman in Our Town. The clerk quite candidly said that the Amex allotment was gone, but he could still take my order. It didn't make sense to me, but I got some fairly decent tickets, so I didn't really care. However, later experiences of friends made me happy that I had the early Amex opportunity to get the tickets. When friends tried a mere week later, there were slim pickins'!

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Tim

Yikes, I guess this will be a best seller! I tried two nights in late March and both were virtually sold out. I'm working on chaning my NYC dates, if not I'm SOL. I feel like this play came out of nowhere and in a blink, tickets are gone. I called a friend who works at Radio City who seems to know so much about "Broadway Buzz" and he agreed with the rest of you....this will be just as big as Hairspray and The Producers! I hope things work out for me but now I must wait until Nov. 24th. As all have said before, if you can zero in on some dates, GET YOUR TICKETS YESTERDAY! I'm already shut out! Tim

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Frank

The predictions that "Nine" will be another Hairspray or Producers are premature. It's rare that a revival becomes a mega hit, particularly a revival of a play that is not a standard like Music Man, Oklahoma, etc. Also, how long do you think Antonio Banderas will be in the cast? My guess is a few months. Than the question will be who is his replacement and will he have the same name recognition? The star power is driving sales now, but it will be interesting to see if it lasts beyond Antonio. Also, since this show is part of a subscription, it gives the impression that it has enormous pre-opening sales. It's really front loaded by subscribers, who subscribed to the entire season's offerings by the Roundabout. It may turn out to be a hit, but it's doubtful it will equal the aforementioned shows. JMO.