nightlife in Washington, DC

Apr 11th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

nightlife in Washington, DC

I should have put "family nightlife in Washington." We'll be in Washington 4/19-4/23 and are wondering what family nighttime activities there are - local theater, dinner theater, something like that. The kids are 11 and 16. We will be in Baltimore for a Red Sox game one night. We're staying in Dupont Circle and I've read about that area. Are the night tours of the monuments worth it? We will have a car or we can take the Metro or a cab. I'm just seeing what else is out there.
Any other help about Washington is greatly appreciated!
Apr 11th, 2005, 01:46 PM

I always thought the monuments looked beautiful at night but will the kids be interested - probably not. Walking around in Old Town Alexandria or Georgetown or Dupont Circle area might be preferable. I see that there is a Haunted Houses tour on www.culturaltourismdc.org that will be on the 20th...look around I bet you will find more. Pick up some of the free entertainment papers when you get there and let the kids pick something out.
Apr 11th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Free concert each night @ 6pm at Kennedy Center Millenium Stage. Maybe stay afterwords for some other concert/play. "Shear Madness" is hilarious. Take the free bus from Foggy Bottom Metro Stop.

I like Alexandria (King St/Old Town) more than Georgetown. There was a small theater on King St, not sure if it's still in operation.

Apr 12th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. Please keep the help coming.
Apr 12th, 2005, 08:34 AM

The theater on King Street reopened briefly and then shut down again. But I haven't been to OT since November, so maybe something's happened since then. Not sure if this is your thing, but a restaurant on Duke Street does opera performances once a week. Someone else may have the name of the place.

Try Signature Theatre in Arlington, and Wooly Mammoth in DC.

I think your kids would enjoy walking around the monuments at night. Obviously, you can't make it to all of them by foot, but you can do the Washington, Lincoln, WW2, Vietnam, Einstein, and possibly Roosevelt depending on how much you like to walk.
Apr 12th, 2005, 08:45 AM
E

Go to www.washingtonpost.com and click on Entertainment Guide on the topmost banner. It allows you to search by date and type of entertainemnt--music, theater, exhibits, etc. and inlcudes free stuff, too. It's an excellent resource.

I would recommend attending an evening performance at the Kennedy Center--really, it almost wouldn't matter to em what the performance would be! The interior is so gorgeous at night, the atmosphere so glamorous...and don't miss the views from the rooftop.

Enjoy!
Apr 12th, 2005, 08:45 AM
E

Whoops! I meant, it wouldn't matter to ME what the performance would be.
Apr 12th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll do the searches.
Apr 12th, 2005, 12:51 PM

The Old Town Theater on King St. in Alexandria is open again -- http://tickets.oldtowntheater.com/ for the schedule. My family loves the monuments at night.

Search this Thread