Nice Restaurant in Key Largo?

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Restaurant in Key Largo?

I've never been to the Florida Keys, but I am taking my boyfriend as a surprise for his 30th birthday. We are staying in Key West for a day and a half. We'll be waking up there on his birthday, but heading to Key Largo before dinner time. Does anyone know a classy place I can take him for dinner that won't be too touristy during Spring Break week (his birthday is 3/19)?
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:13 AM

Sundowners on the Bay is nice. If you could swing a reservation during sunset you will be in for a treat. I believe the mile marker is 103 or 104.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sue! I'll try to do that this weekend!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
njc

We just returned from the Keys and a surprise trip for my husband's 60th. Only had one meal in Key Largo and I wouldn't recommend the place. I don't remember the name but it's in the center between the four lanes of Hwy 1. Two places in Key West that were good were Billie's downtown and Sands Beach Club (I think that's the name) on the Atlantic side. Great food and staff at both.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:24 AM

I second the suggestion of Sundowner's. Not sure if it fits the "classy" description (actually not many restaurants in the Keys fit that description) but the food is excellent and the view, particulary for sunsets, very nice. One problem is that 3/19 is a Saturday and everyone in town will be trying to reserve a table for dinner during the sunset period. Add the fact that not every table in the place has a decent view of the sunset, and if you plan on going you need to make reservations early, and show a bit early and be perpared to relax over a few drinks while waiting for a good table to become available.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:15 AM

How about places to watch the sunset and have dinner that aren't classy - Can somebody please tell us of any good local restaurants or bars on that side?
We've eaten regulaly at Mrs. Mac's, Mandalay, Ganim's and Hog Heaven in Islamorada but would like to try something different. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the tips. I made an outside reservation for 30 minutes before sunset, and I'll make sure to arrive before then.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:45 PM

Two places we enjoyed in Key Largo that weren't "classy" are Hobo's and the Crack'd Conch. Both offered great food and service without the high prices for the sunset view.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 04:04 AM

I completely agree about the food at Hobo's and the C' Conch. But for a special dinner, I don't know why someone would chose a view of traffic on US 1 rather than a bayfront sunset just to save a few bucks. I'm a local and eat at Hobo's all the time because I've seen plenty of Keys sunsets; but when I have relatives or friends in from out of town we head right to Sundowner's.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 04:17 AM

Larry1: So Hobo's isn't located where we can see anything except the traffic? Shoot, I was up for sitting outside watching the sun go down and tipping back a couple.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Ccolor- picture a strip of property with one end being on US1 and the other Florida bay. Hobo's restaurant is located on the US1 end while boat racks, marina, etc make up the space up to the water. I'm not saying you can't even see the water, just saying the restaurant is not ON the water. Hobo's is a big fave of the Key Largo fish/dive crowd. They come for the great food but since they've spent the whole day on (or under) the water, a water view isn't particularly what they are looking for.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Larry1: Got 'ja - I think we'll pass on that one and look for another low-key bar to try out. Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Happygirl - I'd delay the departure from Key West by 20 minutes and eat at Morada Bay in Islamorada. Sit in the chairs in the sand and have a drink as the sun goes down. The only problem? You won't want to go back to where you are from!