Nice but affordable hotels in New York City

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice but affordable hotels in New York City

Hello all,

I know it's been asked a zillion times but here goes;
I'm planning a trip for me and my girlfriend to New York City in May. I've already booked a ticket, we'll be flying with KLM from Amsterdam to JFK, and now I'm looking for a nice but affordable hotel. I'm thinking about $250 - $300 per night, is this reasonable?

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Very reasonable! Mariotts in Manhatten are less then that. So you have a good budget!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply!
Besides my question about the budget I also would like some advice about the hotels (that question was missing I think after re-reading my post).
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:54 AM
MaureenB

Try the Affinia group of hotels. They are each different, well-managed, and a good value. Some have suites, like the Affinia Gardens on the upper east side. I think your budget is probably reasonable for a double room. We've also stayed at Embassy Suites, in lower downtown, by the Statue of Liberty and Ground Zero and Wall Street. It's a nice, big, chain hotel, nothing fancy, but with a very good complete breakfast buffet included. All are suites, with refrig., microwave, sink, two TVs, and a front room. Less expensive than your budget, I think.
>-

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Check http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/

They have deals on NYC hotels.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Ike

I vote for the Helmsley Park Lane because of it's location on Central Park South where cabs are plentiful and shopping on 5th Ave. is close by. I see weekend rates of $290/night but $340/night during the week. They may have a special on some websites. I like the location, rooms, atmosphere, etc. Have a nice trip.

http://www.helmsleyparklane.com/
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM

If you prefer a real NYC neighborhood why not stay on the upper west side? Mid/upscale residential with an incredible array of good inexpensive restaurants of every possible ethnicity. Good subway access (2 lines) so you can be midtown in 10 minutes and South Ferry in 25. You're only a couple of blocks from Central Park and the Museum of Natural History and right across the Park - very pretty 15 minute walk or 5 minutes on the bus - to the Met and all the others on Museum Mile.

The area is busy with lots of shops, outdoor cafes and busy street life - without being as frenetic/noisy/tacky as Times Square - and not as quiet at night as the business districts.

Check out the Lucerne, One the Ave or the Belleclaire.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advise!
@nytraveler; that's a great idea. I checked out the Lucerne, but the rates where 450 a night. One the Ave and Belleclaire where fully booked according to quickbook. Quickbook has other hotels on the upper west side, does anybody know if they are any good?
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Dear Sebastian,
I suggest that you try the hotel website instead of Quikbooks to check prices. We just booked the Belleclaire for a week in May - through the website and there seemed to be a lot of choices for us. The website is:
www.hotelbelleclaire.com

or email at [email protected] (and ask for Jenny in the subject) Jenny is very helpful and pleasant.
Good luck!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Check out the Marriott Courtyard brand, should be in the $250 range or less. Several locations in the city and very nice lodging.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:27 AM

Prices change drastically depending on dates so whether your budget is reasonable is largely affected by when you're planning your trip. The Excelsior is another good option on the upper west side and usually more affordable than the Lucerne. Compare prices on quikbook.com vs. the hotels' own websites. Agree travelzoo.com is a great site but specials are generally 1-3 months in advance to your stay. Also agree the Courtyards by Marriott are good value as are the Affinias. If you're coming at a very pricey time, Radiocityapartments.com is a great budget option but gets booked quickly.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 08:35 AM

We got a 3X2 (room upgrade also) at W-NewYork-the Court on E. 39th (nice barrio) $518.US.
M
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help!
I've just booked the San Carlos Hotel, good reviews on tripadvisor and on the forum.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:10 AM

The San Carlos is great. YOu should enjoy your stay!