Search

Niagara falls visiting the Canada side

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niagara falls visiting the Canada side

Hi,
Iam traveling with my husband to US from India, we have the US visa. We want to visit the Niagara falls, both the US and Canada side. Any idea if i can get a Canada visa at the border? or what process is it to visit the Canada side?

Also any pointers on cheap hotels and flight booking is most welcome. We are traveling from LA to Niagara.

p.s. Thinking of covering Washington and New york enroute.
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 03:33 AM

LA to Washington(I assume you mean Washington DC), New York, then Niagra. That is a long long distance.

You would need to find out about the Visa from the Canadian government as well as reentry from the US. I don't know the laws on foreign travel.
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 03:37 AM

You would have to check with the Canadian embassy/consulate but I think it likely that you would need a visa to get into Canada - also you may need a multiple entry visa into the US - since border formalities are much stricter getting back into the US. For flights have a look at kayak.com - it will list all of the options. You can fly into Buffalo, NY or Toronto (th latter is about 1.5 hours from the falls).

But - getting to the Falls is not really convenient to either NYC or DC - and you will need another flight to get to either one (taking the train is very inconvenient - often taking more than 10 hours) and car is equally time-consuming, esp since many car rental agencies don;t want you to take their cars across the border.
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 06:18 AM

Hi Sridevi_g

If you end up deciding that it's too much hassle to deal with Canadian visas, etc..., I think you would get a decent-enough view of the falls particularly if you do activities like the Maid of the Mist and the Cave of the Winds on the US side of Niagara Falls. The "view" is said to be better from the Canada side but I have fond memories of and think the activities on the US side give a worthy-enough vantage point of the falls.

Have fun deciding! DAN
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 07:10 AM

The view from the Canadian side is more expansive and panoramic, but I agree with Daniel_Williams that the US side has much to offer. You can get very close to the Bridal Veil Falls and the US side of the Horseshoe Falls, and you can walk along the rapids.

Both the Maid of the Mist and the Cave of the Winds are well worth doing. CotW is my favorite Niagara attraction.

So, while ideally it would be nice to visit both sides, if you really want to see Niagara and the visa business gets to be a hassle, the US side still has plenty to offer.
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 07:41 AM

Having done Niagara Falls from both sides several times I agree That you will get satisfaction from viewing from the American side. The Maid of the Mist will get you as close to the Horseshoe falls as you could ever imagine. Cave of the Winds will get you right up close to the Bridal Veil Falls. My personal favorite. The US side had an observation deck that will get you a great view of all the Falls.

Best advice is to check with both embassies anyway so you know what is possible no matter what you decide.

Are you flying from LA to the east coast?
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 08:04 AM

I expect that you would find that fares from LAX to Buffalo are lower than LAX to Toronto. You can get a good price on a one-way LAX-BUF.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 05:24 AM

I love the Canadian side of the Falls best so I would recommend seeing both sides if possible since you are traveling all the way from India.

I've always drove across the boarder. Maybe someone else can confirm that you can walk across and what the boarder patrol process is like when you walk?

We are staying at a bed and breakfast later this summer. It's not so expensive, but it is on the Canadian side - www.tworiversniagara.com. They are located just up river of the falls in a quieter neighborhood. The area around the falls is very "touristy" and hotels will be more expensive.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 07:49 AM

If you go to the Canadian side, make a day trip to Niagara-on-the-Lake. It is a delightful, historicl town right on the Niagara River at Lake Ontario.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 08:10 AM

>

We walked from the Canadian side to the American side and back. Our passports were checked on both sides upon entry and the process was quick and easy. Unfortunately, two young men arrived on the American side at the same time as us and did not have passports or ids. I heard the irritated immigration official ask - What were you thinking entering the United States without a passport?! - before they were directed to a sitting area. I'm sure they were there for quite awhile.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM
cd

RE hotels: If you get to the Canadian side I always recommend Embassy Suites. You can buy a package which offers room, made to order breakfast, $40.00 toward dinner with a Fallsview view and two drinks in the evening in the lounge. We think it is a good deal and have stayed there twice. Ask for a Fallsview room http://www.embassysuitesniagara.com/

There are no hotels on the American side that offer Fallsview rooms with a view.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 08:46 AM

Cave of the Winds (on the American side) is a wonderful way to get up close to the falls. You will get wet, even with the ponchos they provide. It was my favorite thing to do at the falls, much better than Maid of the Mist.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites on the Canadian side. It was a few blocks away from the falls, so it was less expensive, but it was still perfectly nice, and within easy walking distance of the falls. It's also very close to the Clifton Hills area, which is a lot of restaurants and shops.