Visiting Niagara Falls

Apr 26th, 2019, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Visiting Niagara Falls

I will be in Toronto at the end of September this year and would like to view Niagara Falls from both the Canadian side and the US side. Is it possible to do this in one day via a tour perhaps?
Your input would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Apr 26th, 2019, 05:06 AM

I'm sure it's possible to get a tour to Niagara Falls. It's less than 2 hours from Toronto to the Falls. What I can't tell you is if there are tours that actually cross the border (which takes some time) or give you enough free time to do it yourself, but since Maid of the Mist boat tours begin and end on the US side, if you look for a tour that includes a boat ride, you can be assured of crossing the border. You'll need your passport and a valid ESTA to enter the US.
Apr 26th, 2019, 09:51 AM

<< You'll need your passport and a valid ESTA to enter the US.>>

lol, Doug, that was NOT my experience last August. My lovely Toronto GTG hosts had proposed a day trip to Niagara which would include a visit to the US falls so I duly packed my passport and ESTA and all went swimmingly until we tried to cross over the US border. The guard at the border post was distinctly unimpressed with the ESTA, retained all three passports. and directed us to park up and attend at the immigration office in the nearby building. After about an hour sitting with all the other waifs and strays who were waiting to be seen, we were called up and explained that all we wanted to do was to cross over and see the other side of the Falls plus for my hosts to do a bit of shopping which they had done dozens of times without incident. The immigration official explained to me that the ESTA card was valid only for entry into the US by air, and not for land travel. He did however graciously permit me to pay $6 for a 3 month entry permit as I told him that I was planning on travelling into the US by train the following week. [That went without incident, BTW] We were then allowed to continue on our way. No-one I spoke to had ever had this happen to them before and my search of the US gov website dealing with the ESTA says nothing about its being valid only for entry by air. However a further search showed that if you are a citizen of a country to which the visa waiver programme applies [as a brit I am] there is no need for an ESTA as you will be dealt with at the border as I was. Nowhere does it say this on the ESTA page however SFAIK.

That is a very long way of saying that the OP does not need an ESTA to visit the US Falls as long as s/he is an Aussie citizen as the Visa waiver programme applies.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r%20progreamme
May 9th, 2019, 06:52 AM

Personally, I would not bother about the US side of the Falls. The Canadian side is far superior and the Maid of the Mist will show you all you need to see
May 15th, 2019, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. I have decided to book a full day tour that takes me to the Canadian side only.
May 16th, 2019, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by almcd View Post
Personally, I would not bother about the US side of the Falls. The Canadian side is far superior and the Maid of the Mist will show you all you need to see
While the Canadian side is more developed and does provide for a panaramic view of the Falls, the US side has its charms too. You can get a lot closer to the actual Falls on the US side. Goat Island is a more natural way to view the falls and is worthwhile to visit.
May 16th, 2019, 01:19 PM

Hi Aussiefolk,

I hope that my story didn't put you off going over to the US side.

Have a great time.
May 17th, 2019, 07:19 PM

The US side is fascinating: this is where you come close to the Falls, feel, touch and hear its mighty force... The Canadian side offers commanding views of the Falls, but it is the US side where you understand what Niagara Falls are all about. Luckily, I spent plenty of time on the US side of the Falls when I lived in Buffalo (went to grad school there) - the beauty of Niagara was my much needed escape from this boring and gloomy city.
May 21st, 2019, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I’ve booked a 9.5 hour toNiagara tour.
May 23rd, 2019, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by vinonobile987 View Post
The US side is fascinating: this is where you come close to the Falls, feel, touch and hear its mighty force... The Canadian side offers commanding views of the Falls, but it is the US side where you understand what Niagara Falls are all about. Luckily, I spent plenty of time on the US side of the Falls when I lived in Buffalo (went to grad school there) - the beauty of Niagara was my much needed escape from this boring and gloomy city.
When did you go to grad school in Buffalo? The city has been undergoing somewhat of a renaissance. It's not as boring and gloomy as it used to be. Well, the weather still sucks for the most part but there is a lot going on.
May 23rd, 2019, 07:30 AM

Oh, I was 20 years ago, Tom😊. I am very happy to hear that Buffalo is getting better now... still remember those days when I was in downtown all alone at 6pm! Crime was not a joke there...

I wish Buffalo all the best and still keep fond memories about SUNY Management School.

Thank you very much for you post and I gladly stand corrected.