Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY with 12 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my son to Buffalo and Niagara Falls, New York in June for 4 nights and wondered if anyone has suggestions for educational experiences in that area. We plan to do the Maid of the Mist, perhaps the locks, etc. Any suggestions for clean hotels in the area with a pool would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 06:33 AM

Do you plan to stay in Niagara Falls (USA or Canada?)or Buffalo? There are many things to do and see in Niagara Falls. In addition to The Maid of the Mist I would recommend the Cave of the Winds, Journey Behind the Falls, the jet boat ride and the Butterfly Conservatory. In Buffalo there is the Albright Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo Science Museum and Buffalo Historical Society. There is also a minor league baseball team with a great ball park. Depending on what dates you are in Buffalo, you may also catch the Allentown Arts Festival.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:00 AM
cd

We journey to Niagara Falls often and drive THRU the US side, always STAY in Canada and usually at Embassy Suites in a fallsview room where you can see the fireworks at night over the falls: http://www.airlineindustryreview.com...es-and-status/ They offer packages and the complimenty breakfasts are wonderful.

I agree with the above poster, for a 12yr old, Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds, and the Jet Boat Ride would be the cat's meow! You would enjoy them also
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. We would love to go to the Canadian side but my son doesn't have a passport so will confine ourselves to the US side.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 01:23 PM

You still have time to get a passport for your son if you're interested.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 01:46 PM
cd

Hotels on the American side leave a lot to be desired. None have a Falls view and the area is not that great. However, Goat Island is a wonderful park on the US side with great water views! This is where you will go to Cave of the Winds and you can also catch the Maid of the Mist there. They have a sit-down restaurant that I hear is very good.
http://www.niagarafallslive.com/goat...s_new_york.htm
Old Fort Niagara is about 15 miles from Niagara Falls and a fort we enjoyed touring.
https://oldfortniagara.org/
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 04:04 PM

A 12 year old only needs a stamped birth certificate so you could cross the border... on the US side theres also Fort Niagara State Park if you like history... Consider Canada for your stay due to the excellent falls views and Clifton Hill... its an assortment of arcades, activities, and cheesy museums that 12 year olds dream about... for the maximum stay with water, have a look at Great Wolf resort and waterpark...

theres another post with all the birth certificate info...
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 05:04 PM

My 3 boys (23, 21, 17) and I flew into Buffalo summer '08 and immediately went to the Anchor Bar for lunch...home of the original buffalo chicken wings. It's a fun place to eat, decor was a trip down memory lane, and the wings were great. Headed to Toronto for 3 days and then to Niagara Falls for 3 days before ending at Letchworth State Park.

I agree w/ the previous posters to stay on the Canadian side of NF and use your son's birth certificate to go across the border. We followed others advice and had a wonderful falls view rm at the Embassy Suites which included munchies and drinks in the afternoon and breakfast. We purchased discount passes through AAA which included most of the sights including Cave of the Winds, Maid of the Mist, IMAX, Journey Behind the Falls, walk along the river, etc.

Our FAVORITE activity was the jet boats into the whirlpool which we did in Niagara on the Lakes. It was worth the extra trip there and the expense! Just be prepared to get SOAKED! We laughed so hard it was hilarious!

Our 2nd favorite activity was walking across the Rainbow Bridge into the US (have to go through customs both ways so be prepared) to enjoy Niagara Falls State Park and the Cave of the Winds. Again, we thoroughly enjoyed the hurricane deck.

My youngest son thought Niagara Falls would take "15 minutes" to see and leave. We filled 3 days and it was a wonderful trip!