NH White Mountains- hiking

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be spending a few days in the Lincoln, NH area and I am looking for a few easy-moderate hikes in the area. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 10:21 AM

Go east on the Kanc and hike the Pemi.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 02:23 AM

Or Lonesome Lake Trail.

Easy to moderate hiking, a beautiful destination with an AMC hut at the end.

"The Pemi" (above) is the Pemigewasset Wilderness off the Kancamagus Highway ("the Kanc").

You can google these trails and others in the area. Do not be fooled by the infamous Pemigewasset Loop, which is endless and hard.

Or ask locally.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 09:41 AM

Lincoln is a great location for hiking. A lot of the popular hiking is strenuous, but there are plenty easy to moderate hikes in that area too.

- Park at Layfatte Campground and hike to Lonesome Lake Hut - this is a "moderate" hike. It will have elevation but isn't as rocky as some others. The view is beautiful and you'll have access to bathrooms at the hut before heading back down. I have photos on my blog here: http://thefreelanceadventurer.blogsp...mountains.html

- Drive down the Kancamangus Highway and there are lots of hikes. A nice easy one that takes you to some falls is Sabaday Falls hike. It's short and easy, but the falls are beautiful. I wrote about it here: http://thefreelanceadventurer.blogsp...cool-down.html

- Also on the Kanc - Hedgehog Mountain is on the South side of the Kanc and provides views but is moderate.

I recommend picking up a copy of AMC's maps. The set has all the hikes on the maps and also gives mileage. The first post I pasted "5 Best Family Hikes" can be a resources since all those are easy to moderate.

Good luck and have fun!

- The Freelance Adventurer -
http://thefreelanceadventurer.blogspot.com/
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 08:04 AM

My family always loved Mt Chocorua by the Champney Brook Trail. It is at the far end of the Kancanagus from you, but the distances aren't long in that part of the country. We did it every Columbus Day from when the kids were little until maybe college got in the way.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 04:46 PM

You mentioned the necessity of getting a National Parks parking pass for the day. Where can this be purchased?
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM

When you enter your first National Park, get a pass, it will be good for a year for all the parks and if you are an old geezer like me, it is only $10 and is good for life and lets the others in the car in free too.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 06:44 PM

Stopped too soon, I don't think you need a NP pass for most of the areas you will be going to in any case.
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 05:23 AM

I don't think you need a NP pass for anything in the White Mountains, but you used to need some kind of NH thing for a few parking areas. If you want slightly strenuous but not too long hikes, Chocorua is great, and if you can do Chocorua, you can do Mt Washington via the Ammonoosuc Ravine. The Ammonoosuc is one of the prettiest walks I ever take (at least up to the hut).