National Park trip at the end of March?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our kids(ages 11, 9 and 8) have 2 weeks of vacation from school at the end of March. Is this a good time to go to Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon from Vegas or will it be too cold?
Also, will our kids be able to go into the rim or are they too young?
Thanks so much!!
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 09:12 AM

What do you mean "go into the rim"?? Does that mean Below the Rim? They could certainly go down a bit, IMOP. Bryce is likely to still have some snow, but that makes it even prettier. I doubt that the Lodge is open then, though. The Narrows is a "must hike" IMOP at Zion and it would be to cold and likely to be running to high, so that hike would likely be out. I also think Angels Landing is a must. I wouldn't think about hiking it if there were snow or ice. One slip on this one and your gone. I think kids are fine one it. However, if they are not mature, well behaved, and take things seriously, then no I wouldn't take them on that trail.

But, in answer to what I think your real question is. Yes, you are to early. I think you would be better off at Saguaro, Death Valley, Carlsbad, Guadalupe, Big Bend(this would be prime time for those). That said, you would likely have an awesome time and each park is unique at different seasons of the year. But, I don't think you would get the full experience. (We are doing Saguaro ourselves the first week of April next year).

Btw, I think Bryce deserves 2 days, Zion 2-4 depending on what your are doing. Grand Canyon 1-perhaps 2 if you are hiking down a bit. Then even more if you ever consider doing some serious hiking or rafting. The more time I spend at each spot the more I tend to enjoy them.

Finally, another option might be Arches, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef. These would likely be cool, but snow/ice would be far less likely to be a factor. If you go to Arches, then check out www.deserthighlights.com in Moab. This is canyoneering and you kids would love it. Took my daughter the first time when she was 10. Very Safe.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 07:31 AM

If you are planning on coming towards the end of March, one place that is a must see that many people living in AZ have never heard about is The Grand Falls. Google pictures of it. Its bigger & better than Niaagra Falls. Stunning place. Bit of a rough ride the last 7- 9 miles but well worth the trip. We went in a 4 door Lancer & did fine. Its only available during a certain 1.5 mth time frame approximately & end of March is perfect time. Definitely more than worth checking out & you wont be sorry you did. Directions can be found here: http://www.waterfallswest.com/waterfall.php?id=22
Have a great time wherever you end up going.
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 05:05 PM

Spiro gave a good summary.
End of March in Zion, for example mid-60s to 70s
At top of Zion, colder. Upper elevation is 8,000 feet = snow. Elevation increases as you drive north to Bryce/Cedar Breaks - cooler.
This site gives the town of Springdale temperature which adjacent to south Zion park entry.
http://www.usa.com/springdale-ut-weather.htm

This is snow thaw season making Zion Narrows hiking undesirable as noted by previous comment. Cold + high water = danger! Hiking in lower canyons is OK.
Mid April, overall, would be preferred.

Check this site for guide books
http://www.southutahparks.com/
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 05:28 PM

We went to Bryce, Canyonlands, and Arches this past February and loved it. No crowds and the parks are even more gorgeous with snow. We went to Zion last year in January and that was fabulous, too. And the cost of lodging was dramatically less than it is during the summer.

That being said, it is a bit of a crap shoot. We lucked out with the weather - no storms while we were there. But there's no guarantee that you would be as lucky. However, if the weather cooperates you can have a fantastic time.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 09:39 AM

We were at the Grand Canyon the last week of March. It was a great time to visit.

You could also consider an open jaw flight. Fly into Vegas, visit the Grand Canyon, Sedona and then Scottsdale/Phoenix. Fly out of Phoenix.

If you do an open jaw--we have done this route, start in Las Vegas. Car rental rates are very high out of Phoenix.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!! Very helpful information...
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 06:06 AM

I regularly hike in the southern UT NP's each winter, and March is my favorite time for Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce and Zion. There can be lots of old snow around, some years, but driving isn't usually any problem. It isn't unusual to drive into one of the Parks and be the only person there till almost noon.