Bryce Canyon National Park - hot spots?

Old Feb 12th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryce Canyon National Park - hot spots?

I will be in the area just long enough to spend a little under a day in Bryce Canyon National Park. I'd get there late in the evening and then get to spend the next day until around 4p, sometime in the beginning of March. I know people can easily spend a week there so I'm wondering what activities would be the most rewarding so I utilize the little time I have well. I know weather will obviously be a factor. Would it be better to go to another park in the area (UT) because of the closures?

Any help is help nonetheless! Thanks!
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Hiking into Bryce Canyon might not be possible in early March because of snow. Zion might be a better option because it is at a lower elevation.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 10:57 AM

I think they do offer snowshoeing there too.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 03:59 PM

I have hiked Bryce in March on several occasions. Sometimes there is snow on the trails and it helps if you have something like yaktrax to grip. Other times it is just a little muddy and icy in places, but otherwise fine. You could also have some trail closures due to rock fall that time of year.

But even if you are unable to take a trip down into the hoodoos you should still go. It is a beautiful park and actually very easy to see in a short amount of time and is beautiful in snow.

If trail's are in good shape and weather is not an issue this would be my suggestion:

First evening walk the rim trail,,, You might have a couple hours before sunset and just walk the trail and enjoy the different views.

Then the next morning head down Navajo to Queen's Garden loop. That shouldn't take more than 3-4 hrs.
Then drive over to Bryce Point

Then you could drive down the scenic drive to the end, hike bristlecone pine and then stop on the way back at all the viewpoints.

If you have time after that go back to your favorite place to see it one more time.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 06:56 PM

As others have mentioned there could be snow on the ground in March. You can rent snow shoes at Ruby's Inn and there are weekends when the ranger have snowshoes for free, so check if there is snow. The first time we went and there was snow, we just walked along the rim without snowshoes from Sunrise to Sunset point and it was challenging but WONDERFUL! There were others using snowshoes to go on the trails. You might be limited to what is open, so you will have to see what the conditions are once you get there.

Utahtea
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 03:43 PM

I'm guessing you're going to Zion right after Bryce based on your 4pm departure time and 5:30 arrival at Zion??

It really depends on what time in the evening you arrive. I liked the Bristlecone loop, great views from there. I thought sunset was underwhelming at Bryce, basically the canyon just got dark. Sunrise is way better. But if you get there with enough daylight then definitely hike along the rim trail and take in the views for awhile.

I'd get up early and watch the sunrise from a viewpoint, then hike down into the hoodoos and check out some other viewpoints after that. Do Bristlecone unless you did it the day before, check out various viewpoints and head to Zion earlier if you can (assuming that is your next destination). For me Bryce has a big wow factor because of the views but Zion has more to offer the longer you are there, so if you can get to Zion earlier by leaving Bryce earlier it would be for the best.

2 things: the roads in Bryce might be dicey if there's been recent snow, in fact they may even have the road to the far end (Bristlecone loop) closed down. Also, Bryce Point is the southern end of the main canyon with the hoodoos - as you head to the southern end of the park towards Bristlecone, there are still some viewpoints but they aren't as spectacular or 'must-sees' like the ones at the northern end. So if the road is closed beyond Bryce Point, don't worry you've already seen the best views.

http://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisi...Hoodoo-web.pdf