Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM
njs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newyork in 5 hours??

Reach Penn station at 10 am.
Take cab to Empire state building.
Go to observation deck. Take the ride and come down.
Take cab to rockeofheller center area and cathedral.
Walk to timessquare.
Take cab back to penn station from times square at 3:00 pm.

2 questions:
1. Are 5 hours enough for covering all these? We will mostly be taking pictures and not spending too much time at any place.
2. What is the cab cost for the trips from Penn station to empirestate, empirestate to rockofheller center and timessquare to pennstation? Was wondering if it was cheaper for us to drive.
thx
-njs
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:12 AM

It depends on how long you have to stand in line to get into the Empire State Bldg.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:13 AM

You need a map, not taxis. That's a walkable square less than a mile on each side.

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:14 AM
GoTravel

Agree walk and yes, you have plenty of time to do this.

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:16 AM
njs
Original Poster

I know it is walkable and have walked there before. But I would be travelling with couple of elderly people who are finding this place a bit cold.
That is why I asked the bost of taxi trips.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:22 AM

As another poster said, your Empire State visit might throw off your timing because you never know what the lines will be. If it's cold, the lines should be quick, but it's always hard to predict.

Another option if you just want a nice view and a nice experience is to go to Top of the Rock - you will be going to Rockerfeller Center anyway, and you can reserve your time at Top of the Rock so you would be more efficient. Although, I understand if you really want to see the Empire State Building in particular, there's no substitute.

I'm not sure where you're coming from, but consider at the very least tolls coming into the city in your driving, and parking in a lot in any of those areas is likely to be around $20 I think. And getting your car and driving yourself to the next destination would be another parking lot, which you have to spend the time finding and is an additional cost (although some lots of cheaper hourly midday rates). You also have the hassle of driving in a very trafficky square - it sounds like a big headache to me.

The cabs for the routes you suggest, assuming there is no outrageous traffic (but some traffic) should be (roughly and guessing on the higher end):

From Penn Station to Empire State: $5
Empire State to Rockerfeller Center: $9
Times Sqaure to Penn Station: $7

I'm sure other people will have a variety of estimates and it's certainly possible for it to be cheaper or more expensive but I've tried to give you a decent estimate. Good luck!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Times Square is roughly 7th Ave from 42 to 46th Street; Rockefeller Center is on 7th Ave. starting at 48th. Are you seriously going to take a cab 2 blocks? Likewise, Penn Station is at 33rd St and 7th, the ESB is at 33rd and 5th.

Take a cab from the ESB to Rockefeller Center and then a cab from Times Square back to Penn Station. Less than $10 each including tip.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:29 AM

First, a correction: Rockefeller Center is not on 7th Avenue. The main (i.e., tourist) part is off Fifth Avenue.
As others have said, you may spend a lot of time waiting in line at the Empire State Building. The Top of the Rock is a better idea for anyone with limited time. However, if you going during the cold weather, be forewarned that it is cold at the Top of the Rock.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Lines at ESB can be very long. Do the Top of the Rock instead. That way - you take a cab to one area, tour around there and then a cab back to Penn Station. Be aware that when it's very cold/bad weather it can take quite a while to get a cab back - so allow time for it - don;t assume you can get one in 3/4 minutes.

Cab cost from Rock Center or Times Sqaure to Penn Station will be minimal - less than $10 including tip.

Driving is ridiculous - since it woud cost you at least $20/$25 each time you put a car in a garage - so $75+ - or a lot of walking.