Search

Newport, RI Lodging

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newport, RI Lodging

For those of you who know Newport, RI, which inn -- Spring Street Inn or Marshall Slocum Inn -- offers the best location vis a vis restaurants, shopping, walks etc...?
thanks for your advice!
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:08 AM

i am not familiar with either of the inns as far as accommodations, but the location of the spring st. inn is better for walking to restaurants, shops, etc.
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:22 AM

Location wise i's give a slight edge to Spring Street in. One block up from Lower Thames St.

Spring Street is a busy street that gets alot of traffic, but if you're just leaving the car and not driving, it won't be an issue.

Marshall Slocum is just off Bellevue on Kay Street and in a residenttial area, but still walking distance to Thames and Bellevue (Though a bit of a hike to the Mansion Area)

Both locations are fine though...
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:31 AM

I agree with the above poster. Although there are attractions all over Newport, most folks think of Thames Street as the "epicenter" and seem to congregate here, as there are plenty of restaurants, shops, and wharves to keep you going.

At the Spring Street Inn, you would be a bit closer to Thames Street...just a block up.

From Kay Street, it would be a bit more of a walk but doable. If you have no car, I would pick the Spring Street location. But, if you have a car, it may be quieter at the Kay Street location.
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Keep in mind you can also find great places to stay by renting apartments through vrbo.com or homeaway.com. Better deals than the B&B's.

And I vote for Spring Street Inn, unless street noise might bother you (Kay Street is quiet). Although there *is* plenty of restaurant/bar action within walking distance of Kay on Broadway -- Salvation Cafe, Pop, Fastnet, Pour Judgment, One Eighty....