Reload this Page >

Newport Beach Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:49 PM
sna

I recently returned from the Four Seasons in Newport Beach for a weekend getaway. I'm from the east coast and was in LA on business prior to the weekend, so I stayed over with my wife. The hotel is phenomenal, based on it's location I gather it's fundamentally a business hotel, but the pool rivaled any I've ever been to in the US including Bellagio in Vegas. Great poolside dining, attendants bringing cold wash cloths and popsicles, excellent drinks, and also a wonderful jacuzzi area. There's a huge fireplace poolside that's actually lit at sundown and the area becomes tremendously romantic. Rooms were large and tasteful with DVD players and the usual splendid 4S amenities. Also enjoyed the bar area and gym. The location, while not at the beach, is a short 5 minute drive to the quaint Balboa Island with fun shopping and dining and a quick ferry to the Pacific Beach. At $250 a night, I thought all in all a bargain. Also visited Laguna Beach while were there, less impressive than I recalled from a visit 20 years ago: overrun with tourists and t-shirt shops, though obviously beautiful. We'd heard Javier's was the place to eat but couldn't get in so we settled for an average Greek place. My one dining recommendation for this area is El Ranchito in Newport, a no frills Mexican joint with tasty authentic food, the kind you can never find on the east coast.

Best of all, the hotel is 10 minutes from the Orange County Airport which made for a quick and easy trip home. I'd recommend the 4S in Newport as a great weekend getaway for anyone that can catch a direct flight to SNA.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:58 PM
cc

Well, the plane tickets are non-refundable so, even if you have to downgrade your hotel and dine frugally, go! Maybe you can make it a business trip - a search for a new job - and deduct it from your taxes.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:00 PM
cc

sorry, hit the back button and posted on the wrong thread!

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:37 AM
Rick

Yes, sna, it is a wonderful hotel, but the new St. Regis Monarch Beach in Dana Point makes it seem quite pale in comparison (ditto for the Ritz-Carlton)! And the Laguna area is still far nicer, in my opinion. I also don't find Balboa Island "quaint" in any way, shape or form!!

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:50 AM
sna

The Ritz was booked so we couldn't get in there but I've heard it's great. I am not sure how you could describe Balboa Island as anything but quaint...lots of charming smaller houses overlooking the bay, with nice walkways, shopping, lots of yellow labs, etc. I didn't say "stunningly beautiful" just "quaint"--a pleasant tourist town that's fun to visit and walk through. I'll have to check out the Ritz the next time I am down that way.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:43 AM
celine

I love Balboa Island. Cute little homes, a main street with Balboa Bars and frozen bananas, and a ferry to the ferris wheel.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:46 AM
xxx

The amazing thing is, those "cute little homes" sell for at least $1.5 m!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:04 AM
x

cost doesn't take away from the "quaintness".

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:07 AM
hummmh

Well - it does take away a little from the quaintness.