Harbour Island Beach Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I'm planning a trip to HI and am planning on staying at Romora Bay on the bayside of the island. I know we can walk over to the beach but does anyone know if there are chairs we can rent once there? Or does Romora Bay give chairs?

Also, can anyone give the pros/cons of staying at Romora Bay vs. The Landing? The Landing looks very charming on-line.

Thank you!
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 05:27 PM

I think you might like Romora a little better, since there is a nice pool and waterside bar, and excellent food at the resort. The Landing is also quite nice, but you would have a little less privacy there, and you are on the bay side of the island and would have to walk to the other side of the island for the beach, the harbour side does not have a beach area at the dock.

Another nice option harbourside is The Rock House (www.rockhousebahamas.com) with a lovely pool/deck/restaurant and also overlooks the harbour. Also staying there you are close to the Harbour Lounge, The Landing and Valentine's (for dive, snorkle trips).

I don't think there is anywhere you can rent chairs on the beach, so you might check Romora to see if you can borrow chairs there.

Have a GREAT time and let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 05:45 PM

hey Wantsomesun, I never heard about your recent trip to Harbour Island? What were your thoughts on Runaway Hill? Still the same/better/worse? Would love to hear. Considering a return visit this summer.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 08:15 PM

wantsomesun,
I second the Trip report request! Hopefully with pictures too

Question :
You said, <i>&quot;The Landing is also quite nice, but you would have a little less privacy there&quot;</i>.

Can you please explain that statement? What kind of privacy issues are there at the Landing?
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 08:23 PM

jenny19,

Here's a lovely little trip report with really nice pictures by a blogger named Pinknest. She visited Harbour Island in May 2006.

She didn't stay bayside though...she stayed beachside. But it's still an excellent report.
Hope you enjoy your trip!

http://tinyurl.com/y5lt3l

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 12:14 AM

The Landing is nice and is really a hotel/B&amp;B set up. All the rooms are very nicely appointed and some have balconies overlooking the bay.

Romora Bay is villas separated by beautiful landscaping, hence the bit more privacy.

I didn't get to go this summer to Runaway the week I could go, they were in the process of closing so I'm hoping to get down sometime in 2007.

Runaway has gotten very good reviews from friends of mine that have gone down for many years and the improvements to the rooms and grounds are quite nice I have been told.

The website is being updated so you might check a bit later. (www.runawayhill.com)
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM

We stayed on HI May 2005. We rented a place on the ocean. Search my name and you will see the trip report. The only place I would not recommend is Runaway Hill. We wnet for dinner and it was terrible. They were begging us to stay the night even though we told them we had a house down the beach. I would avoid that place unless management has change. The other places were wonderful.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your advice. We did book Romora Bay for 4 ngts and A Stone's Throw Away in Nassau for our last 2 nights. Romora Bay even upgraded us to an ocean view room. I'm soooo excited, it's less than 1 month away!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 07:40 PM

Never heard of &quot;Stone's Throw&quot; on Nassau what and where is it located?
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

A Stone's Throw Away is on Nassau on a hill above the water (astonesthrowaway.com) and it's a small bed and breakfast which gets great reviews on tripadvisor.com. It looks very charming from the website.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 12:49 PM

I hope you will come back and post a trip report, Jenny...with pictures please!

I'd like to see some pics of Stone's Throw as well.