Newark Airport terminal question

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Newark Airport terminal question

hi
My daughter and I are flying into Newark from London and then transferingonto a Jet Blue flight to Tampa.

I had left 2 hrs 20 mins but for some unknown reason Jetblue have changed the flight schedule on me leaving exactly 1hr 30 mins.

The good news is we will only have hand baggage but of course need to clear immigration (i willo be the first off the plane!!).

My international flight arrives at terminal B and my domestic flight leaves from Terminal A. Does anyone know how far that is please? Is it a short walk or do we need to get a bus?

Many thanks
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 05:16 PM

Are these on one ticket - or separate tickets? If the latter I would try to reschedule JetBlue to a later flight now - since if you miss it on the day - neither airline is responsible for fixing the problem for you.

If you'll make it depends on arrival time of your flight (how often is it late?) and how many international flights land at once (lines at immigration can be short or tedious if several planes empty at the exact same time).
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 05:21 PM

Checked baggage is usually the delay when coming in on an International flight because you have to collect it then recheck it after customs. So, that shouldn't be a problem for you.

I'm not sure how long it takes for a non-US citizen to get thru immigration. Those lines can be long. Other than that, you will probably breeze right thru customs.

Once you leave customs, look for the signs to the AirTrain which travels about every 3-5 minutes between terminals. I remember it not being that clearly marked, so ask. It's a couple escallators up.

Depending upon whether you will already have your Jetblue boarding passes and the security lines aren't that long, you should be able to make the connection. Those are the only two things that might hold you up.

Hopefully you will have alternate plans just in case.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

They are on 2 seperate tickets.

Problem is there is only 1 flight per day from newark to Tampa.

I will only have cabin luggage so should be able to get off and through pretty quickly.
I will also print my boarding cards ahead of time.

It looks like the only alternative if i miss the flight is the 5pm flight from JFk but getting to JFK will be a pain from Newark i assume.

Anyway thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:32 PM

I agree with mytraveler. If you can change to a later Jet Blue to Tampa, I would switch. I am a frequent international passenger through Newark. A couple hours of delay on an international is routine. If you can't change, good luck. 90 minutes should be plenty, but the possible reasons for delay are almost endless.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

I spoke to jet blue and they sdaid its only once a day flight from Newark to Tampa. They offered to fly me out the following day!! Real pain as they decided to change their schedule.

All i can do is hope its not late.

Just out of interest how long would it take me to get to JFk from Newark lets say at 3pm on a friday?

Thanks
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 10:06 PM

3pm on a Friday, you are going to be in a nightmare traffic situation. The "fastest" way would be over Staten Island, and then on the Belt Parkway to the airport and the traffic there will be awful. I'd suggest if you don't make the domestic flight, find a hotel by the airport and fly the following day.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:07 AM

would it be safer to let jet blue reschedule you the next day now, and you rush and try to get on same day if you do get there in time?

otherwise, seems to me there is a big possibility of your losing the ticket, (any delay WHATSOEVER) PLUS having to re-book and re-pay, and not be guaranteed a seat the next day at all, (unless it is not a big travel day).