Lancaster Next Weekend -- Suggestions.

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancaster Next Weekend -- Suggestions.

We are headed to Lancaster next weekend with our two kids ages 4 1/2 and 2. We are planning on Dutch Wonderland on Saturday and would like some suggestions for Sunday. Any suggestions would be great. Is there a pretzel factory you can tour? Also, we are staying at the Eden. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:30 PM

http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/

Strasburg Railroad is a good family thing to do. Herr's has a factory tour. Potato chips and things, it's a short tour and fun.

I don't know of any pretzel factories that still have tours.

I would take the kids to Hershey Park. It's a great way to spend a day. Lancaster has a walking tour, but that might be too much with little one's.

I would lookup Lancaster. I'm sure that they likely have a visitors site to help you better than I.

My MIL lives there and we still find plenty to do after visiting regularly for the past 15-16 years. My son is eleven and his grandma always plans all kinds of fun and interesting things to do.

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:33 PM

Two more links for you. The first one is a link to the Lancaster Visitors Center. The second is the Herrs Factory Tour.

http://www.padutchcountry.com/

http://www.herrs.com/SnackFactoryTours.html
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 04:39 AM

If your children love Thomas the Tank Engine, your timing is excellent as he will be at Strasburg RR from June 16-24. Here's the link to buy tickets online: http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/thomas.htm

Dutch Wonderland is a good choice for young children; save Hersey Park for when they're a bit older. My only other thought would be to consider a farm stay where your children could experience the animals. For more information, go to the following website: http://www.afarmstay.com/
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Strasburg railroad is a fun place for the kids and across the street is the railroad museum they would probably enjoy that too they have a section where they can play with model trains and sit in a locomotive and pretend they are driving the train. We took my 6 year old grandson and he enjoyed it. I know you said you have a room already but as the previous poster said a farmstay would add to your trip.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:54 AM

There's also a great place across the street and down about half a mile from the RR for lunch. It's called Isaac's Deli and has a great/fun kid's menu and good sandwiches for parents. Also check Tripadvisor's Lancaster forums. There's a wealth of information there and the PA forums there are more active than here. I'm pretty sure there's a pretzel factory you can tour but I just can't remember the name. I'll see what I can find. Oh and you'll love the Eden, it's probably our nicest resort and is very centrally located...again check the Tripadvisor forums, the place gets rave reviews!
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM

The Intercourse pretzel factory offers tours, but they are not open Sundays.

intercoursepretzelfactory.com for details and tour schedules on Saturdays.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:31 AM

For what it's worth, I never recommend the Eden for kids. Definitely not bad and usually filled, but it does not have the friendly, outside atmosphere of the Bird in Hand or Willow Valley.Lancaster closes on Sunday for most of the stores. Can you consider doing DW on Sunday and hitting the pretzel "factory" in Lititz on Saturday?
It's a small town where you could wander.Try for Thomas tickets now,they sell out quickly.