Hershey Lodge and Park

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:04 AM
JCV
Original Poster

Hershey Lodge and Park

I read through the messages posted about Hershey Lodge - any recent comments about the Lodge? I have reservations which were made several weeks ago for a trip this weekend. I am concerned about the negative comments - other than the Hotel what other options are there in the area?

There would be 2 adults and two boys (7 and 3). We will arrive late Thursday and departing Sunday. Any suggestions on what to see? We are planning to go to the Park on Friday, Zoo and Tour on Saturday. Shopping at the outlets on Sunday???

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:44 AM

Change your plans. The park is lame. The tour is a trolley ride and a automated ride thru the factory to see different videos of how we make the chocolate. And everywhere, all the time a little jingle is playing...Hershey's choc-o-late. Hershey's choc-o-late, oer and over and over and over. We did the factory tour and aftr 2-3 hours of the same jingle (it was even on the touring trolley that went thru town) we had to leave, we felt brainwashed. My son ,who was 9, and now is 15, still considers this the worst tip ever. What a waste of time.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 04:46 PM

HersheyPark is not Disney World and it's not Cedar Point, but it's a lot better than many other theme parks in this part of the country (mid-Atlantic). My kids love it and yours will too. The thing I really like is it's exceptionally clean, and the ride operators are super-safety conscious. Your boys will like Chocolate World too...my kids loved it at those ages...just brace yourself that you exit into the world's biggest Hershey store where it would be cruel not to buy them a candy bar!

The zoo only has animals indigenous to America, so no lions, tigers, elephants, giraffes, etc.

Check for the current exhibits at the Hershey Museum...they can be very good.

Just outside of town (south on 743) is a nice miniature golf course.

The outlet mall is new and not terribly big.

Lancaster is only an hour away, so if you run out of things to do in Hershey, there's plenty to do there.

Hershey is a major family vacation destination, so there are plenty of lodging options. I haven't stayed in any recently except the Hotel Hershey, but an AAA book or Mobil Guide would give you plenty of good recommendations.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:50 PM

Do NOT change your plans. Hershey Park is great. They have added some wonderful roller coasters. The park is a great family vacation. The tour of the chocolate factory is interesting. I haven't stayed at the Lodge in a couple years, but it was fine whenever I was there.
Relax and enjoy!
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 04:17 AM

I live about 15 minutes from Hershey and I think the kids will love Hershey Park. It's packed all summer. The zoo isn't very big and the Chocolate World tour isn't very long, but it might be just right for kids the ages of yours. If you want a longer day, you might consider the Baltimore Aquarium (about 90 minutes away)instead.
The Hershey outlets are right next door to the park, and although there aren't a lot of stores, I wouldn't subject the kids to Lancaster outlets instead -- very spread out, and awfully crowded on weekends.
Next weekend in Harrisburg is the Kipona Festival and they have lots of food, games and stuff for kids. More information here:
http://www.harrisburgcity.com/parksR...Events/kipona/
Good Luck!
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 05:01 PM
JCV
Original Poster

Just got back from Hershey Park - the kids loved it and had a great time. The rides were just right for my 3 and 7 yr old. We were able to ride on their favorites more than once in a row because there were no lines! They enjoyed the free miniature golf and pool. I was surprised that they enjoyed the Hershey Garden - the kids garden was great and they enjoyed the freedom to run everywhere.

The Lodge was overpriced for what it was - I would probably never go back. I have stayed in budget motels where the quality of the room was the same and more than half the price. It was convenient to take the shuttle - but if we stayed at another hotel and had to drive our car - it might have netted out cheaper. I never did look into other hotels in the area - next time we will.

Thanks to the responses to my first message it was very helpful, so glad we didn't change our plans.