gettysburg and Lancaster?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are interested in going to Gettysburg and the Lancaster area. We were wondering if 1 day is enough time to spend in Gettysburg and 2 days in the Lancaster area. We will be traveling from Pittsburgh with two children, ages 10 and 13. Any suggestions on places to see or things to do?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 04:08 AM

For a first visit to gettysburg, i would spend two days. See the lighted/electrical map at the visitor center. The audio tour or private guide are excellent for a first timers.

Just returned from the area -- i will 'top' my report for you.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:23 AM

I think you can do the visitors center and the audio tour in Gettysburg in one day with no problem. I'm not sure why you'd want to spend a second day there.

Two days in Lancaster would do it for me, but I think a lot depends on what you want to do and how much you want to see. For a basic taste of Lancaster, I'd say two days can cover it.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:48 AM

Try to rent bikes and tour the battlefields, as that is the best way IMO to see them and I think your kids would enjoy it much more than sitting in a car or tour bus. Most of the roads are flat, other than going up to Seminary Ridge. There are guided bike tours which would probably be the best combination. Take a look at http://www.battlefieldbicycletours.com, or http://www.gettysburgcvb.org.

The National Park Service also has walks lead by rangers. Take a look at http://www.nps.gov/gett/index.htm and http://www.nps.gov/gett/gettevents/events[5].htm

Try to go up to the Seminary Ridge area, it is very peaceful, has great views and not a lot of tourists get up there. Very nice at sunset.

The countryside around Gettysburg and Lancaster is really beautiful rolling hill country. There are apple orchards in many of the outlying areas, esp out toward the Eisenhower Farm (which is not worth a visit, IMO, but the drive out is pretty).

What dates are you going? The battle of Gettysburg was July 1-3 and there are usually re-enactments each year with troops dressed in uniforms, cannons blaring, horses, etc. The kids may love it or not. It may also be a lot more crowded at that time.

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 12:43 PM

With children that age, I'd sacrifice a day in Lancaster to spend it at Hersheypark amusement park. Your kids will be forever grateful.

In the Lancaster area, your children might like Strasburg, which has the Strasburg Railroad and several railroad museums, both regular-sized and miniature. The Amish Farm is a little hokey but a good way to introduce them to Amish life. So are some of the attractions near Intercourse.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 06:50 AM

A week in Gettysburg wouldn't be too long for me, but you can get by with one day to see the battlefield and the visitor center. I agree with the HersheyPark idea for a few hours one day.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 07:58 AM

The National Park Service offers educational programs throughout the day that might be of interest to your children and I've attended a fireside program in the evening that focused on a soldier's life that would be excellent if it is still offered. The electric map at the Visitor's Center would provide a good introduction before driving out onto the battlefield, but there is also another electric map that would probably be of more interest to your kids. This diorama, featuring miniatures, also gives a sound and light show of the three day battle. It is located at 610 Taneytown Road a mile south of the Visitor's Center and under private ownership.

The Strasburg Railroad would interest your children and you could stay at an Amish farm where your kids could milk a cow and gather eggs for breakfast. Do the Hershey Park if you must, but it's just another amusement park in an area that can offer so much more. Why not check out the following website for information on activities available in the Lancaster area with a link to Gettysburg too. www.800padutch.com
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 07:16 PM

I have heard some wonderful things about Sight and sound living waters. It's for all ages. I know people here in Columbus, Ohio who went over just for that.Check out www.padutchcountry.com