Reload this Page >

New York wedding location

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Joanna

I'd like some thoughts on where to get married in New York without much fuss - a nice civil registry office preferably. There will be the bride (me) the groom and a couple of friends and that's it. So no huge hotels for us! But that's all I can find on the net. Also recommendations for romantic restaurants for the meal afterwards - nothing as grand as a reception - and the hotel. We are British and this is a second marriage for both of us. Many thanks

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Jim

Here's a link that tells you how to get married in NY (http://www.nyc.gov/html/doris/html/faq.html#Wed_in_NYC). You could tie the knot in lower Manhattan or Brooklyn then celebrate at the River Cafe. Best of luck!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:01 AM
lisa

Well, you can always get married at City Hall. Lots of people do. It's where you get the marriage license and then you can arrange a time for a civil ceremony, too.

Another option is to find a judge who will perform the ceremony in chambers. This may be tougher for you if you don't know any judges to ask. I do believe that there are commercial services that will find ministers and/or judges to perform non-denominational ceremonies.

As for a restaurant for after the ceremony, assuming you get married at City Hall or a courthouse in Manhattan, you would be downtown. There are lots of GREAT restaurants in lower Manhattan and Tribeca that would be perfect for a fancy luncheon. Ecco (Italian) on Chambers street comes to mind, as does Danube (Austrian), Tribeca Grill (a little more casual and I *think* they have a private room). You can look up info about these restaurants (and others downtown or in Tribeca) at www.zagat.com.

Best wishes to you!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:02 AM
lisa

Actually, if it's just a couple of people for lunch, Duane Park Cafe might be just the ticket.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Merilee

Hi Joanne...there's a very beautiful non-demoninational, interracial, international church named The Riverside Church located on Riverside Drive (facing the Hudson River) on the upper westside...they perform on-site and off-site wedding ceremonies by a diverse group of ministers...afterwards, I suggest lunch or dinner at The Boathouse Cafe in Central Park...lovely setting and you can even rent a canoe with your new husband...there's a small boutique style hotel on West 55th Street named The Gorham which may suit your needs...it's very nice and it's ideally located...they have a website...you can also e-mail Riverside Church at [email protected]
All the best to you and the groom.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Alex

My mother chose the Boathouse as the location for her second wedding and not only was it picture perfect, the food was fabulous and the service was great. She and her new husband took a lovely photograph of themselves in a canoe on the lake just as the sun was setting.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Dallas

World Yacht Cruises offers a multi course dinner with live entertaintment and it sails around Manhattan.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Melania

I attended a close friend's wedding that was held in a building (maybe on Worth Street in lower Manhattan)? where we waited in an overcrowded and hot room. When their names were called we were shown into a smaller room that was ice cold. It was carpeted and I remember alot of dark wood and books on shelves. A judge in a robe stood at a podium in the middle of the room and conducted a short ceremony. I think it took about 5 minutes if that. After that we went back out into the hot and humid area where lots of other couples and their family and friends were waiting for their turn. I also remember that the building and the area was very crowded and we waited a long time for an elevator that wasn't too overcrowded.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Lindsay

I agree with the poster above that paints a bleak picture about exchanging wedding vows in a civil ceremony in New York City. It's dreary. Maybe in another county it would be nice.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Ann

Friends were married at the Bethesda Fountain in Central Park. Lovely spot.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Sue

Congratulations, Joanna

You may like to stay at a hotel called Park South. They have absolutely rave reviews from people who have stayed. We are planning a weekend in NYC and I just called them to see about availability and they were charming - really helpful. They sound like they'd be nice people to be around on your wedding day.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:21 AM
kim

I believe you can actually get married on one of the decks of the Empire State Building!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Joanna

Thanks for your helpful responses to my query. I have a lot to think about. In the UK we can only get married in church, in a registry office for a civil (non religious) ceremony, or, just here and there, in a country house or hotel. One of the reasons for getting married in the USA was, I thought, a wider choice of location for a civil ceremony. So, supposing we want to tie the knot at the Bethesda fountain, how does it work? Do I have to grab a judge or can only a minister go to other locations? Do I have to check the location is 'official' or will anywhere be OK. How far ahead will I have to book the person marrying us?
A lot of questions, I know. I have looked at the goverment faqs but they don't answer my really dumb questions!Please help me out.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:17 AM
karen

Joanna, try to call or e-mail county clerks office for New York County (Manhattan is located in that county). They can tell you what official things you have to do (ie. license requirement, permits need etc.). I'm sorry that I don't have an address for you but go to Google.com and type in County of New York and you should get some good hits.

Congratulations.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:29 AM
rqf

For information on getting married in Central Park go to
http://www.centralparknyc.org/

On left side of the screen under
"Highlights" scroll down to "weddings"