Reload this Page >

Need wedding rehearsal dinner location in Finger Lakes area, Skaneateles, NY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Victor Criswell

My son who lives in Syracuse is getting married June 2003 in Skaneateles, NY. My wife and I need to host a rehearsal dinner in Skaneateles or someplace in Syracuse or Auburn or in between the two towns. We live in New Mexico and have never been to Skaneateles. We are considering Dinosaur Barbeque to cater but that’s not set in concrete, as we have not found a location in Skaneateles that will let us bring in outside catering. Does anyone have a suggestion for charming, inexpensive place for a rehearsal dinner for about 65 people? Our budget is very limited. All suggestions are appreciated.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Merilee

You may want to consider renting a room in one of the local firehouses (believe it or not many have a "party" room that they rent), American Legion Hall, VFW Hall, or one of the social clubs such as Sons of Italy. It may not be luxurious, but it is a more affordable option. They have large kitchens, tables, chairs, (almost always) a bar, and you can bring in any kind of food you want. Usually you have to supply your own tableware, flatware, paper products and decorations. Again, I know it doesn't fit your charming criteria, but keep it in mind.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Fran

Hi Victor, Skaneateles is a lovely area, but dining and catering facilities are expensive there. However, there is a nice park in the village called Austin Park, they have picnic tables, etc. and MAY allow you to have the Dinosaur bring in the food. There is another park on the ege of the lake, but you can not bring in a caterer. Merilee's suggestion of a Legion post etc. may also work, check the American Legion Post 239 Jordan Rd Skaneateles, NY 13152 phone # [315] 685-7614, or if the wedding is in a church, can you have the dinner at the church hall, with the Dinosaur catering it?

Also, this site may be of some help: http://www.skaneateles.com/index.shtml

As I'm sure you know, this will be an extremely busy time of the year in this small community, try to book a place as soon as you can.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Lois

Since I don't live in that area, I can't offer advice for other locations, but if you find a place that allows you to bring in your own food, Dinosaur's is great for barbacue, as is attested to by the crowds there at all hours, from opening to closing.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Loredana

I held my wedding reception at the Italian American Club in Haverstraw, New York (Rockland County) and it really couldn't have been nicer. Very affordable and it gave my parents (I was the bride) to a big break. So much so thay they gave us the down payment on a house as part of our wedding gift. Food was catered by a very good local Italian deli. I imagine you can host a very nice rehearsal dinner at a local social club or firehouse.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:44 AM
Victor

Thank you Merilee ([email protected]), Fran ([email protected]), Lois ([email protected]), and Loredana ([email protected]) for your responses.

Does anyone know about a firehouse in Skaneateles or nearby town that would have facilities for dinner?

We don't necessarily have to have the dinner catered if someplace is reasonable.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:54 AM
Fran

Hi Victor, Skaneateles is an expensive area, especially in the summer, the catering idea actually might be your best bet. Here is the phone number for the Skaneateles Fire Department's business line (315) 685-3496, maybe they can help with info about renting a hall etc. Also, try "The Hilltop Restaurant" in Skaneateles, (315) 685-0016, they are not fancy, but the food is good. They have the restaurant, do catering, and maybe they also have facilities available that you could use for the rehearsal dinner. Keep us posted!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 08:06 AM
Owen O'Neill

What church will the wedding be at? there's a small Catholic Church in Skaneatles called St. Mary's of the Lake that has fairly good sized and pleasant church hall. I have been to a reception there that was catered and also tended bar there for a reception when I worked for a Syracuse area caterer. I think a Legion Hall or VFW would likely be a better choice than a firehouse only because they may have a larger or more comfortable space that is set up specifically for banquets or catering. Dinosaur is a good choice for catering if BBQ is your thing. I will suggest that you ask (may be a nominal extra charge) to have the ribs cut into individual portions of two ribs each rather than left in half rack before they are tossed back on the grill to finish cooking. I find their ribs to be a bit on the fatty side and doing this helps to cook off some of the fat.

If by chance you're looking for a spot that is more directly in between Syracuse and Auburn, you could look for such facilities (Legion Halls etc.) in Elbridge - it's on Rte 5 midway between the two cities about 10 miles north of Skaneatles. In any event please ensure to have some sort of ride or shuttle arrangments available for those guest who will be having more than a few cocktails. Access in and outr of these areas is on two lane state and county highways and DUI/DWI enforcement is very stringent for all the right reasons. This is not a commentary on your guests but a recognition of the reality - it's a very DUI conscious area with strict enforcement and it's best to be aware of it.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:27 AM
Victor

Thanks Owen O'Neill ([email protected]), The wedding will be at the Presbyterian church in Skaneateles. The church has a fellowship hall available; we were hoping to find a different place for the rehearsal dinner.

Great tip on the DUI. I'm all for them being extremly strict!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:46 AM
Owen O'Neill

If it's not already reserved for a church function or someone else's reception, St. Mary's be perfectly happy to make their space available for you even though you're not having a wedding there. Like all small parishes, every extra bit of revenue helps and they will likely be glad for a chance to rent it out on an otherwise unoccupied night. If the weather is going to be good you might consider Lordes Camp. It's owned and run by the Diocese of Syracuse and when camp is not in session they rent out the grounds to foplks who are having private functions such as company picnics or receptions. It's in a fantastic spot on the water on Skaneatles Lake and may be reasonable enough to suit your needs. For the number of people you mention, you might even get a local group to do a barbecue for you and just bring your own side dishes or contract with them. Pig Roasts are popular in the area and lots of fun (and tasty!). The Borodino Fire Department serves the Lourdes Camp area of the lakeshore and might be able to help by doing a pig roast or recommending someone who does them - many local fire departments do them every summer as fundraisers.

For info - Lourdes Camp Information 1654 W Onondaga St Syracuse, NY 315-424-1812. It's located at 10 Mile Pt Skaneateles, NY 315-673-2888

Borodino Fire department
2500 Nunnery Road
Skaneateles, NY 13152
Phone: 315-673-3735

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:43 AM
Victor

Thanks Owen O'Neill ([email protected])for your suggestions.