Informal Wedding in NY?

Search

Informal Wedding in NY?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Informal Wedding in NY?

Hi Everyone - Does anyone have any unique ideas for an informal wedding in NY? I am open to anywhere in NY (NYC, Long Island, etc.) I am trying to plan something different, hopefully INEXPENSIVE, but something that our guests will really remember and enjoy. I am not looking for the "traditional" type of reception hall...Any ideas? I've tried researching various sites online, but haven't come up with anything. Appreciate your advice!! Thanks - Laura
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:28 AM

I always get this impression that people equate informal with inexpensive -- I don't believe that is so.

When would you like to get married? Are you open to having a Friday or Sunday wedding -- they are sometimes less expensive than a Saturday wedding. Are your guests local?

Give some more information to help us.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 10:25 AM
sks

Laura,
I don't have any specific NY place to recommend, however I planned a non-traditional wedding (we dispensed with the bouquet toss, garter nonsense, etc etc) for my own wedding and the whole thing took place at a restaurant in an old stone mansion in a beautiful location
- it was day time(which saves money as people drink less....) - ceremony at 12:30, folowed by lunch (salmon with lobster sauce, roasted veggies, salad, homemade bread).
We were careful to find a place with fabulous food and cake and people loved it! It's 8 months later and people still comment on how they loved the place and the food.
So my advice to you is to look for an interesting restaurant with great food that does weddings. You save money this way because when you rent a location you pay lots of $$ just for the place and then hire caterers on top of that - at a restaurant you don't have so many fees. Plus an added bonus of finding somewhere thats already beautiful (as opposed to boring drab reception hall) you can save on decorations and flowers. The only flowers we had to buy were bouquets and boutineers since the restaurant was so lovely and they had fresh flowers on all the tables.
Also during the day there's no need for a bar - we served champagne during toasts and (good)beer and wine the rest of the time.
Another good way to save money is to limit your guest list. It adds up when the cost per person can easily be $50 or more.
Check out some websites like 'the knot' for regional ideas.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 10:51 AM
sks

Oops - I meant to add that our location also had a grand piano and included a pianist in our fee for the whole time we were there. So it saves money if you don't have to hire a dj or other musicians.
I'm not sure what you have in mind for 'inexpensive', but the wedding business is quite a racket. We kept ours simple but elegant and less expensive than the average wedding. Just a rough guess - but I think ours was around $15,000 - (more like $35,000 including rings and honeymoon).
Hope this helps!
Sara
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:18 PM

I think Sara has given you really good advice. The number of guests obviously affects both the cost and the venue. You haven't mentioned what you define as inexpensive or given us an idea of size of wedding.

The various yachts around NYC and the suburbs can be rented for a wedding. I've heard good things about Bateaux NY (bateauxny.com)

You can have a ceremony in Central Park or various other sites in the city. Go to centralyparknyc.org and look for wedding info. Many foreign visitors are choosing to come to NY to marry. They have their ceremony either at City Hall or some other venue like the park and then have a small dinner at a restaurant. The Boat House in Central Park is a popular wedding venue. People rent out loft spaces. There's a book you can get with wedding/event venues. There are also places with views of the city on the Jersey and Queens sides of the city. Consider where most of your guests come from.

The wineries on Long Island, both the North and South forks have become popular wedding venues but that means your guests probably need overnight accomodation.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Several years ago I attended a wedding at Bayards. It was terrific. Worth checking.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:37 PM

we went to a wedding in brooklyn bridge park. the bridge in the background was just a stunning location. then the reception was at a loft. can't remember the name, but i'll try to find it for you. i also attended a party at bubby's (a restaurant in dumbo), which could be a nice informal site for a reception in that area.

i also attended a reception at the metropolitan building in Long Island City, Queens. it wasn't exactly informal, but the space itself is pretty raw, so you could do what you wanted with it.
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone - Thanks for your feedback. Here are some more details on my wedding plans. Size of group will be around 150-175 people. I am looking for both informal/unique and hopefully moderate to inexpensive. I am willing to pay around $75-100/head. This is definitely doable for a typical reception place, but I haven't found anything that is unique outside of this price range. I've looked into vineyards, mansions, etc. - they all seem to be A LOT more expensive. $140-600/head +!! Guests will be mostly local to NY area with a few out of towners. I am open to Friday & Sunday + day time as well. Hoping for a nice scenic setting, but nothing too formal. I am doing away with all of the traditional stuff as well - no bouquet toss, no announcing of bridesmaids/groomsmen, garter etc. Love the central park idea, but permits seem to be difficult to get. Hope this info helps a bit more. Any other ideas would be much appreciated!!
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:03 AM

To Laura-

I am in the exact same position as you!! Its nice, well not nice, but supportive that everyone goes through the same wedding pains!!
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Rob

The following is from the website of the Central Park Conservancy.

18. Where can I have my wedding or take wedding photos?

By permit only at the Conservatory Garden, 105th Street at Fifth Avenue. For information, call the Central Park Conservancy's Wedding Hotline at 212-360-2766.  Elsewhere in Central Park, permits are required for more than 20 people.  Call the Department of Parks & Recreation at 212-408-0226 for information.
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:51 AM

I believe that new york magazine had a special on unique venues for events (and a wedding should certainly qualify) a couple of years ago (they definitely mentioned several of the boats) - why not double check their web site?
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:57 AM

That's a lot of people, Imavolio. What time of year are we talking about?
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:40 AM

Have you checked out the message boards on theknot.com ? Lots of wedding planning experience in that group.
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:52 AM

My sons friends got married on one of the boats that goes out in the Hudson River, with the city as its backdrop, then the party is on the boat too.
I thought that was the most fun idea for an informal wedding.
Of course, there are the beach weddings and the B&B in Upstate weddings ..
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Maybe kill 2 birds with one stone and have a look at some photographers here

http://www.mynewyorkwedding.com/cate...ers/index.html

you might get some ideas.

I think something outside Manhattan (NJ, Astoria, Westchester, etc.) will be less expensive.

I too think the boat idea is a good one.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Hmmm...mclaurie's post made me think of Bohemian Hall (the beer garden) in Astoria. Their website says that they have 3 halls that they rent out for events. Their food is great, if you're into Eastern European food. It would be really informal and fun if they let you rent out the garden in the back, but I'm not sure if they do that. I bet they're less expensive than a lot of places around here. www.bohemianhall.com/home.htm
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:41 PM

http://www.charmedplaces.com/index.htm
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:42 PM

With 150-175 ppl you won't be able to do a restaurant. You will have to do a more traditional wedding locale to accommodate that size group.

What about a beautiful place where you hire your own caterer? That way, you can control the price of food/booze. We were married at the Americas Society. It's a mansion on Park and 68th. Very pretty. There is a fee for use of the space -- some of it is tax deductible. You bring in your own caterer. You couldn't do a sit-down dinner there for that many people (it only accommodates 120 for sit-down), but a cocktail reception would work.

There are lots of similar venues in Manhattan. Pick up one of those New York Weddings-type magazines you will see at a large newsstand. They will have lots of venues.

At that price point, you will have an easier time outside of Manhattan. I think your budget is more do-able on Long Island.
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:15 AM

I found a great website called LIWeddings.com