New York- The Color Purple

Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

New York- The Color Purple

I have a friend that would really like to see this show this weekend (before it closes).

Does anyone happen to know if it's being offered through the TKTS booth? If it is not, what would our next best bet be?

If we go tomorrow, what time would you recommend that I get in line in order to have the best chance at snagging tickets. We went last Saturday, an hour after it opened, and the play wasn't available and the line was extremely long.

Any pointers appreciated.

Maybe I would have better luck at the Seaport?
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:15 PM

Katie,rather than wait on line, you can go to the box office with some discount vouchers. S

There's a offer on playbill.com that you can print out and take right to the box office
(look under "T" for "THE Color Purple"
" $49* (Mid/Rear Mezzanine)
OR $59* (Orchestra/Front Mezzanine)
Valid for all performances except Saturdays at 2pm."
Also try theatermania and sesaonofsavings.com. They all tend to have similar discounts. The best idea is to print all of them and take to box office. They may limit the number of discounts per offer or there mught be slightly better seats available through one offer or another (that's what a box office clerk told me recently).
Have fun!
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:19 PM

Boy is my typing bad today!

It should be
seasonofsavings.com
(Here's the direct link for Color Purple http://seasonofsavings.com/shows/view/4
and www.playbill.com and www.theatermania.com.

The last 2 require free registration to see/print the offers
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:21 PM

Here's another discount you can use online, by phone or take to the box office.
http://www.broadwaybox.com/shows/the...c_tickets.aspx

I'd do it sooner rather than later. Sat. nights can be tricky and these discounts are not good for Sat. matinee. Your other option is Sun. which would probably be easier and they have 2 shows on Sun. which is unusual.
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janie and mclaurie for the suggestions---in the end it didn't work out but I really appreciate your advice.
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:47 AM

For future reference: the TKTS web site does post a list of what was offered during the previous week. The list doesn't tell us how many days the tickets were offered nor how many tickets were available each day, but it's probably the best predictor available.

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_SupportPage.aspx?id=68&do=v
Feb 25th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks TravelinAnn--- that's a good tip. I checked it this time around but it wasn't a great predictor since the show was closing this past weekend. I think generally though the shows offered are pretty consistent week to week (to a certain extent). It didn't help me Saturday morning when I trekked to the booth at the Seaport but I did enjoy a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to Dumbo despite the nippy weather.
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:01 PM

As a general rule of thumb, the final performance of a hit show is usually sold out, meaning that discount tickets are rarely, if ever available.
You can bet that tickets for the the June 1 final performance of Rent will be a very hot ticket.
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM

Howard, you would think that's true. I know I would. But, I belong to a group that provides heavily discounted theater tickets to people in certain professions, and much to my surprise, it was offering tickets specifically for the June 1st final performance of Rent!! Maybe they were concerned that tickets weren't selling quickly enough and want to make sure they can fill up every last seat??
I couldn't understand why they would be offering those tickets now, so far in advance. They could certainly offer them just a couple of weeks in advance, and they'd be snapped up then.
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:43 PM

Howard, I've already seen tickets for that performance of Rent on Craigslist for $500 and more!

And nyer, some weeks ago I posted a discount code for Rent tickets and was instantly told by several people that the final performance was completely sold out. Your group must have bought out a group of tickets and may be willing to sell them without a big profit, but that certainly isn't true of the scalpers.
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:15 PM

Considering the huge number of devoted fans there are for Rent (two members of my family included!), I'm amazed that the producers would feel they'd have to resort to discount tickets to fill the house for the final performance.
And, by the way, nyer, if you can spare a couple of those discount coupons, I know that those two devoted fans in my family would love to have them!
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:08 AM

Howard (and nyer)on the very day those discounts were offered (for all performances until it closes) I had posted on Craigslist not to be fooled by people selling scalped tickets to the final performance. That's when I got emails back saying that the final one was already sold out, and had been basically since it was announced it would be the final performance. While they included the final performance in the list of dates for discounts, as far as I can tell, there were never any tickets available for that one at discount. Possibly nyer's group got a large group of discounted tickets before those discounts were supposedly offered to the public?
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:02 AM

Sorry, Guys.
I didn't buy any tickets as I've seen the show and didn't feel a need to see it again. I guess I could have made a bundle!

By the way, they weren't vouchers or discount codes, they were actual tickets available for a limited time, from a very reputable organization that deals directly with theaters to fill seats (not as NeoPatrick thought "a group [that]got a large group of discounted tickets before those discounts were supposedly offered to the public")
I was, as you all are, very surprised that these were offered, but maybe it was as a "thank you" to the organization.
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:49 PM

nyer, minor point, but what you're describing still sounds like what I was saying -- the "organization" bought a large number of the seats perhaps at discount from the theatre. No? It sounds very much like a man who heads such an organization whom I've talked with via Craislist. They buy large groups of tickets at special prices from the theatre and then offer them to groups traveling. When you buy more that 10 or 15 (I forget the number) of tickets from the theatre you get a "group discount", which is surely what this "organization" got.