New York overnight - dinner & after choices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I are taking the train to NY next Sun and staying until 5 PM Mon. I am primarily going to see On the Town. The Frick appears to be closed Mon and timing will be too tight for Sun. I am looking for ideas for dinner Sun and after dinner. I did some research but decided we aren't hip enough for Employees Only speakeasy and not rich enough for Campbell's Apartment (this is for after dinner). Has anyone eaten at Becco's? I['ve been to Un Deux Trois for lunch but not dinner. We are not foodies so mainstream food not too expensive

For an after dinner drink and/or entertainment I thought of: Don't Tell Mama's piano bar (was there in 1992, lots of fun with my theatre friends), the View at the Marriot Marquis, the lobby of the Algonquin (had a drink there in 2012), Bemelman's Bar at the Carlyle.

We are 2 very stylish 60 year olds. i have a guidebook but most of the restaurants are not our style.
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 08:29 AM

First, do not be intimidated by a restaurant. I understand that price is an issue, but otherwise, the only people who care are you. We are in our 60's and we are very often the oldest in a restaurant by 30 years.

I would suggest Gotham West Market, a wonderful choice of upscale food presented in a food court format but way beyond mall food.

http://gothamwestmarket.com
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 04:42 PM

If you are stylish enough to remember Al Hirschfeld theater cartoons, I suggest that on Monday you go to the NY Historical Society to see the Hirschfeld exhibit and the other exhibits on now and on your way back to midtown you go to the Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center to see the Sinatra exhibit and the exhibit about head shots. How early are you arriving on Sunday?

A Guide Named Sue
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Wow cool ideas!
Old Jul 7th, 2015, 02:31 AM

Good ideas except for Becco. I recently dined there w/friends on a Sunday & it was mobbed & tables are too close together. Known for their $23 3 pasta special, we all found 2 of the 3 pastas to be subpar.

Are you wed to only Italian cuisine?
Old Jul 7th, 2015, 05:35 AM

If you eat at Becco (and I do like the food there), you'll do fine as long as you don't do the pasta special. The a la carte menu can be quite good, and wine is cheap. But Rhea58's note about the proximity of the tables is definitely true. It will be quieter on a Sunday night, though.

Bemelman's Bar is quite a bit more expensive as the Campbell Apartment. And you'll find similarly expensive drinks at The View and the Algonquin. If you resign yourself to having a drink for $20 (and just have one), you can grin and bear it. I actually love the bar at The Modern. They do really amazing cocktails, and it's not so far from the Theater District. Most drinks there are well under $20.

Cafe Un Deux Trois is ok but not great. I like ViceVersa (modern Italian) or its sister restaurant Etceteraetcetera. Both are near many theaters and are (I believe) now open Sunday nights.
Old Jul 7th, 2015, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

We are not wed to only Italian for dinner. I can't drink much so one expensive drink someplace special is fine - it's more for the atmosphere than the drink although I like champagne cocktails.

we are staying at the Paramount in Times Square
Old Jul 7th, 2015, 07:57 AM

If you like Champagne cocktails, perhaps take a look at Flute, a Champagne bar. The midtown branch is across the street from our office, and I've been there a few times. The drinks are good but, again, not cheap, and it has a speakeasy vibe:

Flute Midtown
205 W 54th St
New York, NY 10019
b/t 7th Ave & Broadway
Theater District, Midtown West