Help with New York Restaurants.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be heading out to New York during the last week in June and just today made online reservations for dinner for three of us at WD-50.

I'm excited about it and very much looking forward to eating there based on the kind of cooking I've read about (a version of molecular cooking); I've also read lots of mixed reviews - it would seem that you either love it or hate it ! That doesn't bother me, loving new (and all) food experiences as I do, but I'd be interested to know what Fodorites who have eaten there think about the place and how you found the food and service to be.

I'm sure if I wait long enough for more of Patrick's month long stay in NY trip report, I'll find that he's eaten there. But anyone else ?

How about 'Aquavit' ? It was my second choice and may still be on the list for another evening.

Lastly, any recommendations for any cool, funky eateries for lunch or a casual supper ?

And yes, I am taking Patrick's report with me.

Thanks to all in advance.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 01:56 PM

Aquavit is one or favorites. Everything is well prepared an interesting Scandavian fare. (A cuisine however, of which I ahve little knowledge.)The last few years we have gone to the All You Can East Crawfish feast.

For a funky lunch try Flea Market on Avenue A. It a French bistro which is oddly decorated.

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM

It won't work to wait for my report, as we don't have WD-50 on our list. With a month in New York and with our "smaller appetites and budgets", we're not doing any of those $125 tasting menus this time round. Our major "splurge" restaurant this time is Babbo for Lee's birthday, but mainly just doing more casual, rather than "destination" meals.

I've only eaten at Aquavit once and that was for Sunday brunch buffet -- not one of those "stuff yourself" buffets, but the most elegant array of absolutely delicious things. I think they had salmon prepared at least a couple dozen ways -- every one I tasted was spectacular.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 03:13 PM

Chef Wylie Dufresne is a genius and WD-50 is extraordinary. Perhaps it's not for some less adventurous or educated palettes, and hence the mixed reviews.

Aquavit? Eh. Mediocre.

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A friend and I had a very enjoyable meal at Degustation last fall. Tasting menu, but only about 50 bucks or so. A Fodorite recommended it. It's casual, bar seating only, but calm, cool and quiet. I just bought a ticket to New York for July and was thinking about returning.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/degustation/
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 06:46 PM

I've eaten in both, but not recently. I enjoyed WD-50, but have never had the desire to return. I guess I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to food. Aquavit, too, did not make me want to return. But, Babbo......I dream of Babbo....ate there for the first time two months ago - absolutely outstanding.

A more moderate restaurant that I love is Il Buco on Bond Street - like being in Tuscany.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 08:19 PM

We walked by Cookshop tonight and it looked so interesting, but can't remember what I've heard about it. Comments?
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM

NeoPatrick- would you recommend Terrance Brennan's place Picholine or his newest place (I forget the name) to Mathieu?
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 08:35 PM

Sorry, I'm out of the loop there. I loved Picholine, but that was before the latest "renovation" and change.

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Keith and I took Jennifer to brunch at Aqua Grill last Saturday and it was fabulous! The salmon with falafel crust and the raw oysters were superb, not to mention the chocolate tort.

Jennifer was impressed and thought the salmon was better than anything she has had at O Ya in Boston.

I love Picholine (it was my ex-husbands favourite).

And, Mathieu, I always recommend Chanterelle for something special.

Thingorjus
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 04:38 AM
mp

Cookshop can be very good, (IMHO) or just OK - I've had terrific lunches/brunches there and good not great dinners. The service is always excellent, the atmosphere lively. It's run by the people who own Five Points - and it is a similar menu, very fresh, locally sourced, inventive but not too challenging food. They do a great job with pork and beef.

The times my meals haven't been too successful have been on particularly busy times - we've gone there for early dinners on New Year's Eve, when we've had late parties in the neighborhood - it was convenient.

It's a good jumping off point for exploring Chelsea galleries or walking west along the river. I remember you liked that place Earth a few blocks south of Cookshop. You might like Trestle on Tenth, Red Cat (our neighborhood favorite) or Bottino, also within a few blocks. Or Tia Pol, which is tiny and not very comfortable, but makes really good tapas and has a nice brunch,too.

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 04:48 AM
mp

Sorry, I forgot to respond to Mathieu.

I've never been to WD-50, which is kind of weird considering how 'into' restaurants my family is . . but the food just doesn't interest me all that much. Not to say that it isn't good, just not my taste. But the restaurant is ground-breaking and the chef is incredibly influential. If you're interested in modern cuisine, maybe you should give it a whirl.

On the other hand, Aquavit is one of our favorite places. I find the quality of the ingredients and the execution impeccable. I think the herring plate is superb. The atmosphere is very midtown - a little stiff in the restaurant, but very less formal in the cafe. The service is wonderful. I've been many times (my husbands office is in the same building) and have never left dissatisfied. Not cheap, although the lunch special is a great deal, considering the amount and quality of food.

maybe you can do both places?
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 06:23 AM

I have a pretty sophisticated palette and am very adventurous about trying foods, and I happen to also be in the industry. That said, I would never return to WD-50. For that kind of money, put some food on the plate please. The fact that we dropped several hundred dollars and walked out of there hungry is just a joke--and I am not the kind of diner who has to be stuffed to be happy. It was insulting to see the size of the portions. That chef is just completely full of himself, and the only one that is full after a meal of his. Never, ever again. Too many other places to eat at.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 06:42 AM

Mp

The woman who was the chef at Tia Pol has left to work elsewhere. I have not been there to see if her standards have been maintained.

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Thank you Bugswife. That is my pet peeve in high end restaurants. We recently at at such a place and our dessert at $12 got us a one inch chocolate cake with ice cream the equivalent of one spoon. My eleven year son said "they're good on the quality but they've really got to work on the quantity!".
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Well, we were so starving after our first several courses at WD-50, that we decided to 'go for it' with the $25 dessert tasting. 3 teensy tiny forklettes of cake. I was absolutely disgusted. Yes, the food was good, but you didn't get to eat enough of anything to make it memorable.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM

As one who is disgusted with too large portions at some places (particularly big chain restaurants) -- I'd say I've read enough to know that I wouldn't want to go to WD-50 -- I do want more than a taste. In fact that's why I really don't like tasting menus. What's the point? If you loved the taste of one thing -- wouldn't you want more of it? I do.

Meanwhile, mp, we were on our way to Red Cat last night at 10 after a show on 20th (Port Authority with three superlative actors), when we passed Cookshop. We also passed Tia Pol and people were standing outside waiting to get in at that hour. Some sure must think it's great. Red Cat was super as always in my book.

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 08:32 AM
GoTravel

I need to break out of my Gramercy Tavern rut but I can't. I dream of GT.

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM

re: WD-50

I have eaten at WD-50 pretty much every other month since it has opened, and ate monthly or more when he was at the helm of (now closed) 71 Clinton. Admittedly, I have not eaten there since late Feb though.

Either case, I have never walked out hungry, the food is quite good, I think service has gone down a tad as there has finally been turnover in the last year--many of the waitstaff working there had been there from 71 Clinton days and that is over. The service difference is NOT something a casual or first-timer would notice though. That said, the tasting menu is overpriced and not worth it. I have only order the full tasting once (have ordered items off of it other times) and it was the last time I was in there--a few months ago. I would order off the menu. If there is something that you are dying to try that is on the tasting, request to order it, server will ask chef and chef usually says yes. I suggest doing this as a wine pairing is usually a better value than getting a bottle, especially one that matches the whole table's needs.

I'm not sure what people are looking for when they say they are hungry when they leave. I have never left hungry, and despite the disappointment in the tasting menu (there is really no love put into it and seems to be for the 1 time visitor), I highly recommend it, and unless you have to have massive, gluttonous portions, which no high end restaurant will give you, you should by no means leave hungry.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 09:12 AM

NeoPatrick--it is not a bite of food, it is a regular entree portion that you get. Even on the tasting menu. The only "taste" or bite of food is the amuse that everyone gets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -