New York / Nightlife

Search

New York / Nightlife

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York / Nightlife

I am coming to New York for 9 days in May/June. (It's my first trip to the States). I am a female and traveling alone and I would like to ask if it is okay and safety to go out (f.i. to explore jazz/rock/blues bars) alone at nights?

And my second question - if I want to go to the baseball match, do I have to buy a ticket in advance or can I be spontaneous and still get a singular ticket in the same day the match takes place?

Thank you for your help!
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 07:15 AM

Please see a topic that continued all last week on safety in New York. The short answer is yes.

It is better to buy a ticket in advance but you usually can get a single ticket, excpet when some teams that are long time rvials are in town.

In the American venacular we call them baseball games.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 07:45 AM

It's perfectly ok and safe to go to hear music alone, but it's not typical for a woman to go alone (imo). bigapplejazz.com does a jazz tour at night hitting several different clubs and might be a nice way for you to sample some different places on your own. That website also has a good listing of jazz clubs with descriptions.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 08:35 AM

Once you've decided which clubs to visit, I think you'd be well advised to use cabs, and to ask the host/hostess at the club you're leaving to call a cab for you.

New York is certainly safe, as Adu avers, but it might be somewhat less so for a single woman, unfamiliar with the City, venturing out alone at night.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 09:35 AM

1) It's perfectly safe for a woman to go out alone and the millions of single woman who live there do it all the time! 2) One can not "call a cab" in Manhattan. You can call for a private car service which will cost a lot more than a cab to do a local trip. hopstop.com will give you directions on how to get around and estimate cost of a taxi.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 10:08 AM

It's certainly fine to go out alone at night - but, just like anywhere else, be aware of your surroundings, don;t drink more than you can handle - and I would grab a cab back to the hotel in the wee hours. If you go to Time Out New York web site - or magazine once you get here - you will see listings of all type of activities - and see which you are comfortable doing alone.

Just be aware that the very trendy places are VERY difficult to get into and VERY expensive once you do. If you're going primarily for te music, rather than to see the famous, there are many more choices and it's a much easier to get in.

You can often get single tickets to baseball games on the day of - but typically they are either the least expansive (top deck and VERY far from the action) or the most expensive. To have more of a choice - seats and prices it;s better to get one in advance. You can simply order on the web site and pick up the ticket at the box office. And do realize that most games (even some on weekends) are at night - not during the day. The Yankees are on the road until June 2 and the Mets leave on a road trip starting June 1 - so you will know which web site to go to - either yankees.com or mets.com.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, everyone! I will study all those links. Great!
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 12:55 PM

If you are interested in going to a baseball game consider a game at the Mets new Stadium - Citi field - in Flushing. Easy to get to via the #7 train. and my impression always has been that the crowd at the mets stadium is much beter behaved than the crowd at Yankee Stadium - where they tend to 20/30's males who enjoy their beer. an additional advantage in going to a Mets game is (for a night game) - leave a bit earlier and take the #7 train to the last stop (one stop after the stadium stop) - Main Street. You will be in the heart of Flushing - home to scads of the greatest Asian restaurants in the world. We did dinner at Spicy and Tasty on Prince Street - a block from the subway station in conjunction with a game. You can't do that at Yankee Stadium. And you can just take the train back one station to the stadium stop
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

I just saw your reply, jroth, thanks! Visiting Flushing is a very good idea, especially because the Yankee games are not an option for me (they are on the road when I am in town).

It's a pity I can't change the header of my posting - I still would have some questions:

1) Does NY Rangers have a fan shop somewhere in NY? (I know there is an online shop in Internet, but I would like to visit a REAL shop, if possible.)

2) Can you recommend me some nice photography galleries? International Center of Photography is already on my list. (I am interested in especially world press fotos, portraits, geographic etc.)

Only three days and I will in Big Apple... Just can't wait!
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:29 AM

The closest thing to a NY Ranger fan shop would be Cosby's.

It was in the arcade at the old Madison Square Garden and was at the recent Madison Square Garden until a few months ago. They are not sports memorbilia shysters, they have been the fabric of the NY Sporting scene for well over 50 years,

http://www.cosbysports.com/
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:35 AM

Sorry, I noticed your second question too late.

Museum of Modern Art has an extraordianry photography collection.

http://www.moma.org/explore/collection/photography
Old May 24th, 2009, 01:45 PM

More on Photography - Definitely MOMA and check out photography at the Met (and the little Walker Evans Postcards/photos exhibit.

The New York Historical Society has a good Harlem photo exhibit and a good exhibit of photos of NYC Landmarks.

at 24 West 57th Street there is currently an exhibit of photography of Israeli and Palestinean photo journalists (this is free btw) sponsored by the Peres Peace Center. It's called "frames of reality" http://www.anatzarev.com/

AND - in the retail space of the Plaza Hotel is the photo studio of one of the best known (I don't know him) BIG photo landscape photographers and the photos are outrageous.

AND our Warren has photos at the Brooklyn Working Artists Coalition (BWAC) show in Red Hook!

So seek and you WILL find GREAT photography here!!
Old May 24th, 2009, 01:46 PM

PS - I really like the bar at Dizzie's Club - Jazz at Lincoln Center in the Time Warner Building for hearing Jazz. Shows are early so you can walk, bus, or subway back to your hotel wherever it is.
Old May 24th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Thank you Sue. Unfortunately, I do not expect a call from MoMA or ICP in the near future.