Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

People in New York City are so different than the rest of USA!

Notices

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Hank

I had read about New York City for so many years but never had visited it- until last month. What a shock, the people are so different than back home in Nebraska!!!

First off I am not saying that the people in New York are bad people and my post is not meant to bash New York City. I enjoyed our visit there.

But 8 out of 10 people we came in contact with in New York fullfilled every stereotype I had read about people in the big apple.

Here are some stereotypes I found that were true about 8 out of 10 native New Yorkers. (not the recent newcomers):

Brash
Cocky
Self Confident
Abrupt
In a hurry
Rude
Don't suffer fools
Had a smirky way about them

Maybe it is the accent, and of course there are exceptions, but I found them few and far between.

I understand that the famous "New York attitude" dates back to the 17th century and is carryed down from generation to generation, much like the famous manners in the southern USA.

Travelers, please give me your opinions about the native New Yorkers (people that were born in the city), are the stereotypes true? Or was I just looking at it from a naive midwesterners perspective?

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:57 AM
xxx

That's what's so great about them.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:57 AM
xxx3

Hank, the answers to your questions are yes and yes.

You got a problem with that?

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:58 AM
YouAreA

And you say that this is not meant to Bash New Yorkers?
How did you know that the people you met were born and raised in New York?
Was this a survey you did?
Would you like to hear about the culture shock one goes through when visiting Nebraska?
If the word "culture" and Nebraska can be used in the same sentence.
What really happened?
Did you feel lost and out of place? Were people moving too quickly for you?
Were you perhaps the fool that noone suffers lightly?
BTW-I am not from NY..another city entirely, but this is such a stupid way to go about trashing a city and it's people especially in the light of recent events.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:01 AM
NewYorker

Anyone who would disagree that New Yorkers are my nature brash are idiots, now getta out my face!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Frank

Hank: It's more of a big city - small city thing. I'm sure the same could be said for the citizens of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, D.C., Boston, etc. You either love it or hate it. If you love it you live here, if you hate it you visit. One way or another ya gotta be here!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Friendly Guy

If stereotypes weren't based at least somewhat on fact they wouldn't be stereotypes!

N.Y. is a very busy place. People always have to be somewhere and want things right away. They're always getting bombarded from all angles by everything from homeless people asking for money to late trains to traffic jams to you name it. They're friendly people, but a different kind of friendly.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Stephanie P.

Hank:

I believe you are right.

Friendly guy:

I am from S.W. PA and use to live in D.C. and I met many friendly people who were natives of the area. The transplanted New Yorkers in D.C. are really arrogant and told me D.C. "was a small Southern town." Well, it's alot cleaner and prettier than filthy NYC.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:15 AM
abc

Have to ask a question here and make some comments. How does someone judge a person that they come into contact with for about 2 minutes? I am not from New York, but I do live in a big city. If someone is self-confident, which I believe everyone in this world should be, it sometimes can come off that they're arrogant or cocky or rude. But, until you get to know that person, you might see that they are just proud of who they are. I admit that there are some people out there that could take arrogance and cockiness to the extreme, but don't judge them in a couple of minutes. Give them the benefit of the doubt. My point is this, if you're making the comment that you think a person is cocky and/or arrogant, I suggest you check yourself for a little jealousy and maybe start having some self-pride and self-respect and go on about your business.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:24 AM
army

New Yorkers are different, not necessarily a big city, little city thing. i'm originally from Kansas, lived all over, west coast, northwest, south, midwest, now I live in Washington, D.C. It's true that stereotypes have some reality...West Coaters, laid-back, creative, openminded NorthWest, active outdoorsy types,environmentally aware... South, friendly, slow-paced, gracious,rouler le bon temps! NY, brash, funny, fastpaced, Washington D.C., serious, conservative, self-important...Midwest, earnest, genuine, salt of the earth types.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:27 AM
annie

Hank:
Yes,
I am brash
I am cocky
I am very self confident
Sorry if I am abrupt. Don't mean to be.
Yep, always in a hurry
Because I am abrupt and in a hurry does that make me rude?
If you think I am rude. Please tell me why you think so.
Definitely do not suffer fools!
The reason I am smirky is because I am a born and bred New Yorker and extremely proud of it!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:28 AM
MyThoughts

I agree with abc and also would like to add that while you may meet someone for a minute or two and should not judge an entire city based on that meeting, you might also think that-what was it that caused you to have come to these conclusions? You say you enjoyed your visit, but your post is not about the enjoyment of your trip-it is asking people to give their opinions on New Yorkers..What is the real reason behind this?
I live in a large city in the NE and find that most of these large cities have the same kind of attitudes and behaviors, as small towns all over the US have their attitudes and behaviors.
Perhaps it is just the city mouse/country mouse idea...or then there is always the person like Stphanie, who has a dislike and will attribute it to an entire city.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:31 AM
x

Hey-I am self confident,in a hurry,don't suffer fools lightly and I am from LA..whaddya think about that,Hank?

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:32 AM
southern

SOUTHERN MANNERS???????
What the hell are you talking about Hank?
I live in NC-they have the same manners here as in the rest of the country.I think maybe your manners need some work though, starting trouble here like you are.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:43 AM
michelle

As New York is a walking city, for those of you who get into your cars and drive everywhere, it may be a little un-settling to see everyone briskly walking from place to place, meeting to meeting, whatever. Maybe that came across as "abrupt", "rude" or "in a hurry" to you.

In light of eveything that has occurred here in New York, I am so extremely proud to say that I am a New Yorker and appreciate you visiting this amazing city of ours. New Yorkers are now, more than ever, friendly, go out of their way to answer questions and help, and by far, have just been incredibly resilient and patient with each other.

I'm sorry for your mis-perception of us but if you spent more time, you would certainly see that what I say is true.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:51 AM
M

THREE CHEERS FOR MICHELLE !!!!!!!!

and THREE CHEERS FOR NEW YORK CITY!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Tom

The 911 thing on CBS TV really showed the common New Yorker attitude thing. The firefighters are heros but their New York brashness really stuck out.

Most people can get a sense of a person in just a few seconds and I agree with the orginal poster: New Yorkers are brash, by culure and nature!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Jerry

People in other cities can be brash but as a whole they just do not compare with the people in New York City.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Danna

I thought cocky and self confident were compliments ! They're not?

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:17 AM
NYER

9/11 DID show what New Yorkers are like...
Brave,
Kind,
Strong,
Not Slow (you can call that in a hurry),
Savvy(that is not Naive to you) Confident(have what happened here,happen in your town and see how you fare)
Rude -Sometimes(just like your town)Never suffer fools lightly(why should anyone?)
A SMIRK to you is a smile to someone else, doesn't apply.
Stay in Nebraska if you feel comfy and safe, there is a reason why NYC is the largest city in the US...and it isn't because everyone hates it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO