New York -Midtown or Upper West Side

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 12:03 PM
ger

New York -Midtown or Upper West Side

I am staying in new york in april for 7 nights and would like ideas, advise on Grand Union Hotel (midtown) or Newton Hotel (upper west side)as to which is the best hotel location for sightseeing, restaurents, shopping etc.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 12:11 PM
J

I would greatly prefer staying in the Upper West Side, in general, as it's a neighborhood people actually live in as opposed to a neighborhood people work in and tourists visit (i.e. midtown). but depending on where in each neighborhood the hotels are located, I might change that suggestion.

Both will have plenty of shopping nearby (UWS more boutiques than chains as in midtown), subway access to get to other neighborhoods. I don't know what sights you want to see, so I can't answer which neighborhood is closer. If you're here for 7 nights, you'll have plenty of time to explore, so as long as you're comfortable taking the subway, I wouldn't choose the hotel based on that. Midtown has numerous excellent very expensive restaurants, but not as many very good cheap places. The Upper West Side is not known as a food mecca (beyond the food markets such as Fairway, Citarella), but you will find more reasonably priced options there. Have a fun trip!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 01:58 PM
ger

Thank you for your help. The Grand Union is on 32 nd st. and Newton on 2528 broadway near 94 th st.From what you are saying UWS is a more relaxing area . My wife and i hope to take in all the main sights from central park to ellis island. any suggestions, both Hotels are 2 star .

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:13 PM
xxx

The Grand Union is more Midtown South and depending upon what it is near (Madison Square Garden) the neighborhood may not be the best. If it is on the Murray Hill (East Side) it is a great location. If it is your first trip to the city, 94th may be a bit north for you on the UWS.

By the way J, millions of people work in Midtown, it's not just tourist sites.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:22 PM
J

XXX--I can see how you misunderstood my sentence about midtown, but what I was saying is that midtown is an area where people work and tourists visit. I'm well aware of how many people work there---I was one of them for many years before moving to an office downtown.

Back to the original poster's questions----hmm, neither hotel is located in a prime area. As someone else mentioned, if the one on 32nd is on the east side, that may be preferable to the one on 94th, which is pretty far north and not so convenient to downtown sights. You do have a lot of lead time--perhaps you can research other hotel options?

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:28 PM
xxx

J, I am in agreement with you about location especially if this is Ger's first trip to the city.

Find out if the Grand Union is on the east or west side. West side, start over with your hotel search.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:33 PM
s

The Newton is on Broadway between 94th and 95th Streets. It is a block from the stastion at Broadway and 96th. There are two entrances, one at94th, thevother at 96th. It is a less than 10 minute sybway ride to Times Square. There are probably more restaurants near the Newton as opposed to the Grand Union. Walk out the Newton, make a right and you will pass three restaurants
before you reach the corner -a diner, a Thai and a Cuban-chinese. Walk to the left ,make left on 94th and walk to Amsterdam Ave. You will pass a Tex Mex restaurant. When you get to Amsterdam make a left and you pass a Peruvian, Indian, Chinese take out and an Italian restaurant. before you get to 95th. Walk5 blocks in either direction on Broadway And Amsterdam and you will find at a dozen more restaurants - go for the West Side.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:38 PM
B

Although the uptown location may seem a bit far north to some, it is across the street from a subway stop with both local and express trains--subway ride to Times Square is 10 minutes ( I know, I do this every day). If you want o be able to go back into your hotel several times a day, it's not good, but if you just want to be able to go back and rest for a couple of hours before going out again at night, it's very easy to do. Since it is in a residential location, it is also easier to find reasonably priced places to eat, both for breakfast (there's a diner next door to the hotel--$4.50 for bacon/eggs/toast/potatoes/coffee orange juice) and dinner.
You have to decide how you plan on spending your days and how often you need to go back to the hotel (and depending on where you are in midtown, it may take you almost as long to get back to the Grand Union).
By the way, around the corner from the Newton is a Quality hotel (part of the Quality Inn chain) that looks much nicer...

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:36 PM
David

One of our Australian friends on this forum had a favorable stay at the Madison Hotel at Madison and 27th, If I remember corretly he was very satisfied with it. It was affordable, I believe under $90/night and very clean. Here is a website with more information: http://www.madison-hotel.com/index.htm

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 04:55 AM
x

If you decide on the Newton returning to your hotel once or twice a day would not be a burden. As mentioned in two replies it is a 10 minute ride to Times Square. Just be sure to purchase a $4 Metro card Which provides unlimirted use of subway and bus for the day.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 05:50 AM
stay

Midtown all the way!! While there are a few more attractions, you're not exactly staying in Disneyworld when you're in midtown. It is still NYC, and at least for 3 years it was where I worked and lived.

Plus, you'll be closer to the main subway stops.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Frank

Midtown would always be my choice if I were a tourist in Manhattan. It will save you lots of time, particularly since most of the sights you will want to see will be South of 59th Street. The West 90's is NOT where you want to be, trust me.

Having said that, the Grand Union on 32nd between 5th and Madison is convenient enough, but the neigborhood will be kind of dead at night. Keep looking and try to find something between 42nd and 59th Streets, 3rd Avenue to Broadway, that's prime. Since you still have 5 months prior to your visit you have plenty of time, try Priceline or some other discount sites. The Habitat on 57th and Lexington might be a good choice in your price range, great location, check it out.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Flynn

The Grand Union Hotel is IMO a better location downtown but when I pass it have noticed there's lots of construction outside the building. Don't know if this would affect the sound of the rooms.

The Upper West Side in the 90s is bustling and IMO boring. Of course this depends on what you want to do. Being uptown, you would be near Central Park and Riverside Park, a short walk to the Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium.

Since you're not arriving until April, I would keep looking. There are many hotels in Manhattan and for 7 nights you should be able to get a good rate.

For sightseeing, restaurants and shopping, you'd be better off downtown unless you want to ride the subway or bus just to get to your hotel.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:03 PM
Cathy

I'll qualify this by saying that I've never stayed at either place, but have spent a few nights at the Quality Hotel, at 94th & Broadway, just around the corner from the Newton.

We thought this area (B'way & '90s) was an excellent location (especially considering the price we paid at the hotel, which was clean and perfectly fine, if a bit basic). The subway was very close, major bus stops were all along, and it seemed very convenient. Central Park & Riverside park were within walking distance.

We've since moved "downtown" a bit, when more family members come with us, to the Hotel Beacon--Broadway & 74th (I think)-- and we *love* that area.

c.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 12:39 PM
ger

Many thanks for all the information. Still confused though ,both locations seem fine by the "posts".Im just thinking if i want to cover all the sights ,go shopping , theatre,etc. then mabye for conveniance i should stay midtown.The "Grand Union" is in midtown east. ger

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 12:53 PM
x

Midtown East where the Grand Union is located, is a wonderful residential area called Murray Hill. I think you will enjoy the location. I don't know any particulars about the hotel.