New York City-Midtown East or West?

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

New York City-Midtown East or West?

My husband and I will be visiting New York city for the first time. Which location to you prefer for a hotel-Midtown East or Midtown West and why?
Thanks for your valuable input.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 07:20 AM
TC

MY personal preference is mid-town WEST - Times Square area. We usually go to see a lot of theater and I like being able to walk to the shows rather than depending on cross-town taxis. I like the 50ish & Broadway general vicinity. Almost all subway lines are accessable from near there which make for easy transportation without many train changes.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 07:32 AM

I would have to say midtown west. More trains and more access to a lot of things. However midtown east tends to be more quieter.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:59 AM

Either side is convenient to a lot of the tourist sites/sights you're likely to visit. The west side is more active, lively and noisy; conversely, the east side is quieter.
Perhaps, you should make your decision based on the best hotel deal you can get.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 09:06 AM

I'm not sure what your budget is, but there are several great hotels between 5th and 6th on 44th Street. That area is very convenient to pretty much everything. There's the Sofitel, the Algonquin, the Royalton, the Iroquois, and others...

I guess technically they're "West" since they're on that side of 5th, but they're much more central in terms of sites and access.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 09:14 AM
GoTravel

I like the uppercrustness of the Upper East Side. I like the neighborhoodness of the Upper West Side.

Subway is always easier on the west side.

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 09:15 AM

Was in New York City this past weekend. Stayed at the Affinia 50 which is located on East 50th St., between 3rd ave. and Lexington. Great rate $159/night. Called the hotel direct. Upgraded to Junior Suite upon arrival. Large room, kitchen, two queen beds, great service and friendly staff. Subway station one block away on 51st and Lexington. Moved easily about the city. Not as crowded as the west side of town.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 11:59 AM

It depends on what you want to see/do and what type of atmosphere yuo want.

If you're going to do a lot of theater - or if yuo want very busy, bustling, noisy atmosphere you will prefer the West Side.

If you want a quieter area (quieter for NYC that is) - more sophisticated and will be focussing more on the east side museums or traditional/upscale shopping you will probably be happier there.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 12:58 PM

Avoid Times Square unless you plan to spend 24/7 there. It's dirty & crowded (New Yorkers avoid it like the plague.)

So Midtown East gets my vote.

Enjoy!

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 02:20 PM

There is no right or wrong answer to this. Some people love being in the hustle and bustle of Times Square, others like the more relaxed atmosphere of the East Side. For years I stayed in the Theater District . . . then I "discovered" Midtown East, now that is my area of choice. I would take Howard's advice and find the best hotel deal you can get and stay there. During your visit you'll have time to discover the uniqueness of each area and decided where to stay next time (and in NYC there should ALWAYS be a "next time").
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 05:38 AM

As you see, there is no right or wrong answer or consensus. I think it is true, most NYers don't like the idea of staying in the Times Square area (part of midtown west) because it's so crowded and well,....touristy. But that's what you will be, a tourist. Also keep in mind the midtown east and west terms are somewhat broad and encompass a huge area within which you can find most anything or any type of hotel. For example, it is possible to stay in "midtown west" yet avoid the hoopla of Times Square. Are you planning on bidding on Priceline? Is that why you ask?

I think if you told us how long you plan on staying and whether you intend on making the theater a major part of your trip, it would be easier to help guide you. Are you city people or not?
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:11 AM

As a New Yorker, my problem with Times Square comes from my interaction with visitors.

Invariably, when visitors says NYC is dirty, crowded, loud, etc, they stayed in Times Square.

My out-of-town friends & acquaintances who stay in other areas generally have much more favorable reports.

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:33 PM

As a former NY'er who goes back to visit at least once a year, I find that Midtown West remains my favorite section, tourists and all. When I've stayed on the East side I'm always walking over to the west side to do anything. So I really think west is better, especially for a tourist gravitating toward shows, etc.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:18 PM

West is better. In general, it is much more focused on the arts. Broadway theaters, museums, Lincoln Center, etc.. Stay slightly North of Times Square. In the 50s is a happy medium.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:23 PM

Because we're usually going to the theatre most nights we're in NY we like to be fairly close. But I don't like to stay right in the Times Square area (ie Marriott Marquis, Doubletree). I really like some of the hotels on 44th such as the City Club, Mansfield, Royalton and Sofitel. That location is convenient to the theatres and Madison/Fifth shopping but not so crowded as the hotels right on Times Square.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. I can see that it is mostly a matter of preference. I think I will leave it up to the "Priceline gods" and see what happens. I will bid for both Midtown West and Midtown East and see what pops up first. Don't worry I will have back up reservations in case Priceline fails me. Thanks again for the input. I've decided that we will be happy in either location. After all, it's New York City!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 03:35 PM

walliemo, you have the right attitude! Have a great time.