New York - Live Sport

Sep 19th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

New York - Live Sport

Hi,
I will be in New York from 18th Oct to 24th Oct, visiting from the UK and I am keen to sample a few US sports. I am going to see The Rangers @ MSG and would also like to take in a football game.

I've been told that Giants/Jets tickets will be hard to get and expensive. Someone recommended going to a college game (Princeton Tigers I guess?) and I would like to know if (a) it is worth the trip from NYC and (b) if it will be easy to get tickets?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Sep 19th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Giants and Jets tickets are not hard to get. It's just that they're all sold out as season tickets. so you have to get them from online scalpers (who have corporate tickets not being used for some reason). We use stubhub.com (but for baseball tickets) since they are not as horribly expensive as some of the others. Depending on the team and opponent you will have to pay from double to triple face value of the tickets.

College football is a whole different experience - and I can;t give you details on Princeton.

Your other option is baseball - which is in the playoffs and world series in October. Both New York teams - Yankees and Mets - will be in the playoffs - but don;t know how far each will go - maybe a subway series again? But those tickets would also be very hard to get and expensive - but at least have the benefit of being held only 30 minutes from Manhattan.
Sep 19th, 2006, 06:53 PM

I'm a Jets season ticket holder. You'll have no problemn buying Jets tickets at the stadium on the day of the game, trust me.
Sep 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM

There is a train to Princeton from NYC. It would make a nice day-trip outside the big city. Princeton is a pretty town and college football is classic American. You can buy football tickets online -- check that they really do have a home game on the weekend you want.

Columbia Univ. is in Manhattan, and they have a football team, too.
Sep 20th, 2006, 02:08 PM
QC

Princeton?

No, no, no. You can see College Football right in NYC. You can even see it in Manhattan.

Columbia University has a Football team. They play at Baker Field, at 218th Street. You can take the Subway there (the #1 Train). It takes 30-40 minutes from Times Square.

You can always get tickets to a Columbia U. game, the team is not so good. They have an at-home game on Saturday, October 21st versus Dartmouth College. The most expensive ticket is $20, most seats average $10. Columbia is the "Lions", Dartmouth is the "Big Green", this is a classic Ivy League game.

Get all your information and purchase tickets online at:

http://tinyurl.com/j6u6a
Sep 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice guys.

I think I'll try some college football first and become a "lions" fan for the day.

I'll also look into the baseball as I'd love to see a game at Yankee Stadium. I've seen both the Blue Jays and Padres before and enjoyed both.

Thanks again.
Sep 20th, 2006, 02:58 PM

IF the Yankees are playing baseball that week it will only be in the World Series or maybe game 6 or 7 of the ALCS. Tickets prices will be through the roof.

The baseball regular season ends Oct 1.
Sep 20th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Oh well, it was a nice idea while it lasted!

Looks like I'll have to "make do" with watching in a bar with a few beers.

Sure there should be a few with an excellent atmosphere if the Yankees are playing in the World Series!
Sep 20th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Umm, I think you are overlooking the Mets! The Yankees are so yesterday, lol.

Let's Go Mets!

BTW, you could always catch a football game at Fordham. They aren't so good, but the band is top notch.
Sep 20th, 2006, 05:02 PM

I would definitely do the Yankees if they're playing while you're in town. Even in bad seats the experience is worth it.

And who says you won;t be seeing both teams.

(And how can the Yankees be so yesterday? Twenty-six World Championships and 39 American League Penants don't go away just because the Mets are doing so well this year - for a change.)
Sep 20th, 2006, 05:21 PM

Oh, touchy, touchy, nytraveler.

Sep 20th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Not touchy - just keeping the record straight.
Sep 20th, 2006, 05:38 PM

Bring It On!
Sep 21st, 2006, 06:59 AM

Actually, come to think of it, if you like hockey it wouldn't be too hard to get to a New Jersey Devils game (they play in the Meadowlands), or even an Islanders' game on Long Island.
Sep 21st, 2006, 07:34 AM

You can check the college websites for their football schedules. Princeton is a bit of a trip from NYC, but a nice place to visit, and the football games are fun. There usually are some other sports events during the day (practices, etc), that are open to visitors as well. My DH and DS have gone to a few football days at princton.

You can also check the NYC website to see if they have any sporting events on campus or in the NYC area.
Sep 21st, 2006, 07:56 AM

No, no, no. If you're going to go to a college football game in the NYC area there really is only one real option - Army. They have a game at West Point on Saturday October 21st.

If you're going to a college game, you want to go for the atmosphere. Of the college football teams closest to NYC, none have an atmosphere that comes even close to West Point.

You might check NY Waterway Ferry as they run game day sails (ticket included) from NYC (or Weehawken) to West Point.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice. Certainly given me a lot to think about.

Good luck to the Yankees and the Mets!!

Cheers,
MTG
Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:10 PM

Why thank you, MindTheGap!
Sep 28th, 2006, 01:21 PM

I agree with Ryan 100%. One of the most fun day trips I've had from NYC is the ferry up to West Point for a football game. The ride is relaxing and you get to see some great fall scenery on the way up there. The only issue is the hike from the ferry up to the stadium, however I believe people of sanity take buses.