New York Itinerary - what do you think?

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Thelma

New York Itinerary - what do you think?

Taking into account that we will be out of our hotel from the break of dawn and returning late at night, is the following itinerary feasible? We aren’t planning on staying too long at any one attraction (an hour or two tops).

Thursday 26th December

Arrive JFK 6pm,
Check into hotel (Metropolitan),
Walk to Times Square and browse around,
Visit the Empire State Building to see the city at night.

Friday 27th December

AM
Have breakfast in Grand Central Station,
Visit the Statue of Liberty,
Visit the Intrepid,
Pay respects at Ground Zero,
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge.

PM
Catch a show on Broadway.

Saturday 28th December

AM
Shopping on 5th Avenue etc.

PM
Go skating at the Rockefeller Center,
Catch a movie (where in NYC would you recommend? We like the state-of-the-art kind. Would the Loews Theatre in Times Square fit the bill?)

Sunday 29th December

AM
Go to Church (David Wilkerson’s),
Take a walk/horse ride through Central Park,
Visit the Empire State Building again to see the view by day.

PM
Have a meal in or around Times Square.

Monday 30th December

AM
Walk around Chinatown/Little Italy and/or Greenwich Village.

Depart NYC (sadly I’m sure!) 6.30pm

Thanks

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Here

I'd switch theater days. If you do everything you are planning on doing Friday, and then go to the theater that night, you will be sleeping through the play. Other than that, your schedule sounds great.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Joe

The biggest problem I see is the morning of the 27th. I just don't see how you can do Grand Central Station, the Statue of Liberty, the Intrepid, Ground Zero AND walk the Brooklyn Bridge all in the morning. The other days are busy, but a little more feasible.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Donna

It is often bitter cold in NYC that time of year. And, it's usually really, really windy walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. My recommendation would be to head for the Intrepid after breakfast. Then, take a Circle Line cruise (next door practically to Intrepid) which will cruise you right past the Statue of Liberty and under the Brooklyn Bridge coming and going. Waiting in line twice at the Empire State building would waste precious time. Why not check sunset times and get there while it's still Daylight on Sunday and stay for sunset, dusk, twilight, then dark? You may want to combine your visit to Ground Zero with Chinatown/Greenwich Village as they are all located southerly.

Have you considered the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular? It really IS spectacular.

Also, Grand Central has a magnificent laser light show on the domed ceiling (at night only, I think).

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:15 PM
tweedy

Thelma,

You might get a map of the city so you have an idea where things are located so you can combine your siteseeing and not have as much travel time.

Your schedule for the 27th is a full day, with travel time and line waiting.

Skating at Rock Center, might be difficult, as the lines are VERY long, you might go there to site see and then head over to Central Park and skate there, easier to get into and you can rent skates there as well.

You also might check Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall for holiday concerts, and visit the South St. Seaport for the singing Christmas Tree, done by St. Celia's Choral Society.

It's a shame you won't be here for New Year's Eve, the concert we do at St. John the Divine is not to be missed, it's the Peace Concert. It's free, hosted by Harry Smith with chorus and orchestra and last year Judy Collins sang. The end of the concert, everyone gets a candle (all 4,000 in the audience) and together we sing, Let There Be Peace On Earth and Ole Lang Sine (spelling?)

For a theatre, try the AMC on 42nd St, there is a food court right there for munchies before or after. More than a dozen screens on 6 or 7 levels.

Have a wonderful time while you are here.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:20 PM
jill

Oh, DON'T miss walking the Brooklyn Bridge!! Doesn't matter how cold. I agree that Intrepid, Ground Zero, and Statue of Lib in one day is completely unrealistic. I'd say: Walk the B'lyn bridge and visit ground zero and Statue one day and save the Intrepid for another day.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:37 PM
topper

To the top you go........

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:46 PM
NYGirl

Saturday after Christmas shopping on Fifth Avenue is going to be something else! The crowds will be pretty huge in most stores for the after Christmas sales.
But-if you shop at Saks Fifth, you can have lunch upstairs in their restaurant, with a view of Rock Center and the Tree or of St Patricks.
Then you can just cross the street and see the Tree and skaters at close hand.
I do not know if the Empire State Bldg will be open for visitors the day after Christmas at night.Better check that one.
Times Sq Lowes would fitthe bill, but on Columbus and Broadway by Lincoln Center is a very good Sony Imax Multiplex, that has great movies, and you can walk over to Lincoln Center before/after.Then lunch or tea at one of the many restaurants in that area.
After the buggy ride in Central Pk the day you leave, why not have lunch around the Plaza Hotel? or Tea at the Plaza?
or wander over to the E 60's and go to Serendipity?
Hope I haven't added confusion to your plans

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:41 PM
x

Consider organizing 12/27 as follows: Liberty Island is open but entrance to the Statue is not allowed at this time. If this doesn't change before 12/27 and you don't intend visiting Ellis Island view the Statue from the Staten Island Ferry. Then walk up to Ground Zero followed by walking over the Brooklyn Bridge. When the walk is completed backtrack a short distance to the South ST. Seaport and purchase discount tickets for a Broadway show for that evening at the TKTS booth. THe booth opens at 1 pm. You could have lunch at the Seaport. If you are on your way before 2:30, pm next stop could be the Intrepid. You could be back at your hotet by 5:30 pm giving you plenty of time to freshen up and have something to eat before the 8pm curtain.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 03:22 PM
jane

Oh, what sweet memories. We did the exact same dates last year. It was way colder than I had planned!! But, my tip is-- after our carriage ride, we went to Tavern on the Green for late lunch (reservations a must!) It was one of the highlights of the trip--decorated so pretty!! You have some excellent advice above! I kept my sanity by taking a taxi home instead of walking in the freezing cold to the subway at the end of the day!