first trip to new york

Search

first trip to new york

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first trip to new york

hi married couple late 40s are going to new york in dec. my dream is to ice skate at rockfeller with all christmas lights. where can we stay thats with in walking distance to rockfeller ? and what else to do in that area? or what else is there to do. we are probably only going for 3-4 nights hotels are more than the flight.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM

There is no reason to stay near Rock Center. In fact at Christmas time it is an absolute zoo, to the point where it is difficult to naviagte the streets.

The subway is safe and for the purposes of a three day visit easy to use.

I suggest you not only read this baord but purchase a Fodor's or Frommer's to familarize yourself with all the possibilities. That way you can determine what you want to do.

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM

But to answer your question, The Michelangelo is an excellent hotel within easy walking distance of Rockefeller Center. Hotels will be very expensive at that time of year--there's really not much you can do about that except shop around and book early.

In the same area as Rock, you should go to Top of the Rock, you can walk down Fifth Avenue, visit St. Patrick's Cathedral and window shop (holiday displays are spectacular, but crowds will be THICK). You can also walk to/through Central Park.

As to what else there is to do in NYC, wow, where to begin. Search on this forum. Museums? Shopping? Neighborhoods? Restaurants? Theater? Film? It's all there.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:22 PM

I agree that staying near there at Xmas time is very hectic, but if that's what you want to do, give us an idea of your budget. I agree the Michelangelo is very nice but pricey. Look on quikbook.com which often has better prices for it. There are plenty of other hotels in that area that are cheaper. The Salisbury is a budget hotel not too far as is Radio City Apartments.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:31 PM

You could spend months in NYC and not see everything - so the what to see question depends on your interests.

I too would hesitate to stay right near Rock Center - since at the that time of years the crowds will be incredible (as in you have to walk in the street since the sidewalk is full).

I would tend to stay either a little further north in midtown (Central Park South NOT Times Square) or the upper west side - to have a little sanity.

Besides skating at the rink you can watch the skaters while eating at the Sea Grill (expensive but good) or the Rock Center Cafe (a little less expensive, but more casual and still OK food). But you will need reservations for either far in advance (check out menupages.com for menus and prices).

In the same area walk Fifth Ave from L&T (38th St) to 57th to see all the beautifully decorated store window, stop at St Pats and go up Top of the Rock.

If you want theater tickets also buy as far in advance as you can - since this is the busiest time of year and hit shows sell out far in advance.

Other must do on my list:

The Met
MoMA (if you like modern art)
Museum of Natural History
Central Park (if you get a day with decent weather)
Staten Island ferry
Ellis Island Immigration Museum
Shopping (but be aware for the stores to be packed with people elbow to elbow)

We always do the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center , but I know some people prefer spectacle to ballet and go for the Christmas show at the Music Hall.

There will be a host of special holiday events - but not announced until November or so - check New York Magazine web site then.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM

I agree with all the other posters, you really don't have to stay right by Rock Center and lots of hotels not far away would be within walking distance, like the Roosevelt or on the expensive side The Palace.

I'd suggest checking all of the discount travel sites to see what at the costs of hotels are the week you will be here, and know that closer to the season the prices will go UP not down, as rooms become less available.

I can recommend several hotels like the Grand Union on 32nd and Madison Ave, good location and well priced.

You might also pick up a book on New York so you can pick the things you want to see and do while you are here.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:44 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to NYC in December last year. Most Manhattan hotels were well above 300$ per night so we ended up staying at Quality inn in Long Island City for 160$. The hotel is only two stops away from Manhattan so it was not a problem getting around to Times Square, Macy's etc I have posted a NYC trip report on my homepage gardkarlsen.com/NYC_travelogue_2007.htm and I hope that it can give you an idea. If you are wondering about the location of the hotels that we have stayed at in NYC check out this Google map that I have made http://gardkarlsen.com/NYC_google_map.htm . The yellow markers shows the hotels and you can click on all markers for more info

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM

The holiday window displays are always beautiful, so be sure to visit Lord & Taylor's (as another poster mentioned), along with Macy's and Bergdorf's.

I often recommend a trip to Bryant Park for my friends visiting at that time. They have a skating rink as well, with a lovely holiday market set up all around (you can also find these markets at Union Square and Columbus Circle).

If you're jazz fans, one of my very favorite events is the "Red Hot Holiday Stomp" at Jazz at Lincoln Center. Next year it will take place December 11-13.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM

If budget is not a problem, I'd stay at the New York Palace. very near Rockefeller center, st patrick's, saks....lovely rooms!!