New York Hotel Query

Old Apr 28th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York Hotel Query

HELP!! My husband and I (mid 50’s) are arriving on 20th of Sept 2 to 2nd of October (12 nights) for our first trip to the USA. For a few days now I have trawled hotel booking sights, guide books and consulted friends and after being convinced that midtown is the area for us I have tentatively booked The Pod 51st Street. I have paid about US$338 per night which is a lot for us – obviously would like to have paid less but realise it is the price of NY. The Pod is fine but just lacks a bit of character as it is very newish and vibrant.

Have I booked the right hotel for us? Any alternatives? Or are there other areas we should consider? We are wanting to visit all the usual tourist sights, go to a show, shop etc and want to be close to the action as my ability to walk all day is somewhat limited. Can you please advise?
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 05:26 PM

The subway and bus system is excellent so you could stay a little further north up around the south end of Central Park but the prices may not be that much better. Hotels in NY are very expensive.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Yes I realize that they are expensive but was wondering if any other hotels in the midtown area for about the same price or a little more can be recommended as I am not sure whether The Pod is quite right for our age group and its lack of NY character?

fmpden - If not, what hotels in our price bracket or a little more in the area that you recommend?
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 06:40 PM

The Pod is not worth over $300/night. They have everything fom hostel type rooms with shared bathrooms to regular rooms. You've not said what ou want, but I've got to believe tehre are better options. I would contact the London agency www.apartments2book.com and see what they can offer. They have contracts with many of the apt hotels and can often get better prices.
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 08:44 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I don't pretend to be a New York expert, but we have stayed at the Washington Square Hotel at least 5 or 6 times over the last 25 years (most recently in October 2013), and we always love it. (We have at least twice stayed elsewhere, but always end up comparing unfavorably to the WSH!)

It's in Greenwich Village (which I prefer to Midtown); under $400/night; charming, clean, quiet, comfortable, and close to a subway stop.
http://www.washingtonsquarehotel.com/
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 03:30 AM

Agree that you do not have to be in midtown. Major sights are spread out all over the city and the subway goes almost everywhere easily and quickly. I just looked at the Newton - a reliable, pleasant property on the upper west side and they have rooms available for about $270 per night including tax - but this may be advance purchase.

This hotel is MUCH more pleasant than the Pod, is in a wonderful mid/upscale residential area, is right next to several subway lines (2 stops to Times Square on the express) and the avenues are lined with a host of restaurants of every possible ethnicity. Or you can also take the 96th St crosstown bus to the east side of Central Park (3 blocks from hotel) to reach Museum Mile - the many museums lining the east side of the Park. And easily stroll or hop the Broadway downtown bus to the Museum of Nat'l Hist, Planetarium and NY Historical Society.
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 03:36 AM

Lots of people on this forum suggest Long Island City, which is across the East River in Queens, as a very good money saving alternative to staying in Manhattan. I don't usually recommend it myself, since staying in Manhattan is usually a lot more pleasant and fun. But considering that you'll be there 12 nights, you might want to consider this hotel, which has an 8.1 rating on Priceline (pretty good).

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/new-yo...hotel-overview

I've never stayed there, but it's probably quite nice. Maybe others here could tell you a little more about the hotel in the surroundings.

If you chose their "Stay 3 nights & save 30%" promo, you would get a king room for $175 a night. For a night or two I wouldn't necessarily do it, but with 12 nights you'd save a bundle! It's easy to get to from Manhattan, and it's a decent, improving area which is also close to Astoria.
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 05:07 AM

You can do better. For example, at the Affinia 50 you can get a deluxe room with a small sofa and fridge and microwave for $328 by taking the extended rate. All Affinia hotels offer this if you are staying more than a week. This isn't cheap, but it gives you a bit more breathing room than a tiny room at the Pod Hotel (which I agree is not worth that rate). The Affinia 50 has no more character than the Pod, but it's a better hotel in a good location with a much bigger and better room.

Even the Roosevelt Hotel (excellent location by the way), costs only $295 at this period through Expedia. Now that hotel has real character. The Belevedere, another interesting hotel in a great neighborhood, is $324. And the Edison (a real NYC landmark which has the most iconic diner in all of midtown) is $287. Search on Hotels.com or Expedia, and I suspect you'll see many different options that are at least the same price, if not cheaper, than the Pod Hotel. I'm seeing at least a dozen better choices for you with 2 minutes of looking.

However, about "character". In my opinion, that's overrated. For such a long stay, I'd be more interested in mitigating the financial damage by getting a decent, well located room that serves the purpose. I do think the Country Inn & Suites Long Island City would save you at least US$1000, and it's a block from the subway in Queens. It has no character, but it has free breakfast, free Wi-Fi, and a fridge and microwave in the room, and it costs $150. I'd give up character to save $2000.
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 06:55 AM

Well, I may be in the minority and I may be vapid, but character is important to me, especially when I'm visiting a city that's all about character. I don't like "coming home" at night to a place that feels generic; it's just kind of a disappointment to me -- like having to wake up from a great dream or something!
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 07:57 AM

LucieV - I doubt that you're vapid, but why can't you dream about $2,000? That's a pretty sweet dream!
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Yes, but much of LIC has a very different vibe than the city. Much is mixed use areas (motels and some warehouses mixed in with auto body shops, etc and not a lot in the way of restaurants and services. I would try for a better/cheaper choice in the city without giving up the Manhattan benefits of atmosphere and services.
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
La Quinta Inn Manhattan. I think it was Starrs who said she liked it, well located by a subway station.

1 Queen bed starts @ $235 per night plus taxes. AARP on a king bed is $265 and you have time to join AARP before then.
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 09:29 AM

This is a very interesting question, and it has no obvious solution. Long Island City is, arguably, more convenient to more tourist sights than some parts of Manhattan but it has not real character yet. So I can't disagree with that point.

However, if I could save $2000 and cut my lodging bill in half by staying there, I would happily live without having restaurants and bars within walking distance. But not everyone would. But I'd prefer to spend that money on Broadway shows, great restaurants, and having fun. But that's me.

I normally do the same thing when I go to Paris. I've never spent more than 100 euros for a hotel in Paris, and I stay at an Ibis. I'd rather spend my money on food and museums.
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 11:42 AM

I think part of the equation is time versus money.

Our vacation time - esp getting it at the same time - is very difficult - so we sacrifice budget to central location (walk out the door and you are THERE) every time. For us it's not like saving money on a hotel will pay for a longer - or different - vacation.

So we go for the best price we can get at a hotel we like in a central location. (I know people will say the upper west side is no closer in time - but it is the city.)
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 12:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We really liked the Chelsea Pines Inn (not in midtown obviously). Their rates are $268 a night (plus the billions of dollars NYC charges in taxes). It's an eclectic place...free continental breakfast..and the guys who run it are very helpful with dinner suggestions, etc. Subway station is less than a block away. Near The High Line, Chelsea Market. We were there in 2011, but it is still tripadvisors #1 place to stay in NYC, Have fun. I included link to my trip report with photos, too. Has a picture of one of the rooms.

http://www.chelseapinesinn.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

http://www.travelswithmaitaitom.com/...City_2011.html

Old Apr 29th, 2014, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sleep at the Jane when I'm in New York, but it may be too down market for you. I've also considered the Chelsea Inn (different one to maitai's) but they've always been full.

http://thejanenyc.com/

http://www.chelseainn.com/index.php?id=6
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 03:15 PM

For us it's not like saving money on a hotel will pay for a longer - or different - vacation.

Exactly. Additionally, after traveling throughout Europe and North Africa with my penny-pinching sister for 3 months in our early 20s, I decided I would not be one of those people who says, "Let's see...since we're staying in a cheaper place, we can afford to get better seats at the play tonight." Life's too short and traveling is too much fun to make it all about budgets and being "sensible". (I realize that's only one perspective...but I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way.)
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for your suggestions but I have not really resolved the hotel situation - the Affinia was unfortunately too expensive for my pocket despite being in a good location and having positive reviews, The Roosevelt which looks charming gets pounded in the tripadvisor reviews particularly for the condition of the rooms! The Newton is still a possibility but is further out of the action than I really wanted to be. Not sure that Greenwich Village is where I want to be located and still researching The Edison. Any other additional suggestions?
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 02:58 AM

Well if all the sights you want to see are midtown or downtown then I can understand not wanting to stay on the upper west side. But is that where they are?
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 03:04 AM

The UWS is exactly in the action IMO in that it is a real vibrant neighborhood, very NY.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -