New York City in February

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking into a holiday for February, and am considering New York. We have always wanted to go to New York, but are thinking we should wait until summer/fall for the visit. Is is worth it to wait, or is New York just as good in February?
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 10:46 PM

The pros-it's less crowded and usually less expensive hotel and airfare.

The cons-it's very cold and often snowy.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 05:04 AM

Most New Yorkers would love to leave NYC
in February, myself included...If at all possible, visit in May or September/Early October.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 05:15 AM

I go every February, have been for years. Great hotel rates and far fewer crowds than fall, summer is too hot for me. Yes it can be cold, dress warmly, but I have also encountered very nice weather too.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 05:44 AM

It depends on what you want to do. Naturally all of the indoor stuff is available. And if you don;t mind cold - and are lucky to get a couple of nice days you can do some of the outdoor stuff too.

What you will miss is strolling and exploring a lot of the neighborhoods, sitting in sidewalk cafes, wandering through central park etc.

Where are you from and what type of winters are you used to? (I really prefer the winter in NYC to the summer - but it can be cold - or really cold - and you can get a lot of snow - although just enough to be irritating - 3/4 inches - is more likely.)
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 05:51 AM
GoTravel

Even in February, the weather doesn't bother me. Except for President's Week which is crowded, the begining of February has less crowds than many other times of the year.

New York is good any month of the year.

Old Sep 12th, 2005, 05:53 AM

IMHO, they key to happy winter travel (as with so many other adventures) is to dress properly for the conditions. Waterproof footgear and a waterproof/windprrof jacket, plus keeping your head and hands warm, will enable you to enjoy all the city has to offer. If you'll be going in and out (shopping, for instance) be sure to wear layers so you can be comfortable in all the temperatures you'll experience.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 06:06 AM

I agree if Feburary is open, you will have a great time. Lots to see and do indoors and out.

How about skating at Rock Center, take in views of the city riding on the city buses. It's a great way to get around, and get a tour at the same time. With a tour guide book in hand, you are all set, AND it's only $2.00.

Have a great time.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. We are from Canada, and are use to very cold weather in February. It sounds like this will be an option for us!
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 11:01 AM

If this is your first visit to NYC you'll have a blast - even if it is February. You will, however, be itching to come back in warmer (but not too warm!) weather. Where in Canada are you?
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 11:10 AM
JJ5

I've only gone in warm weather once to view baseball, and every other time we have gone in cold weather months.

The last time we got stuck there because of snow storms AND mechanical difficulty and ended up driving home. The entire fiasco was well worth it as we got free flights to SF later that year. And we actually had great fun extending that botched trip overall on the drive home.

Coming from Chicago, the weather did not seem cold at all- doubt if it would to you either.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 05:43 PM

Found some great rates at Grand Hyatt for weekend of 2/24 thru 27th but the flights from Miami are outrageous. Anything special going on that weekend?
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 09:56 PM

I visited NYC for the first time during February and had a blast. Some days were cold, while a few were in the 50s. We found a great hotel for half the price it would have been during the nicer months, never had trouble getting into restaurants, and the lines for the really touristy things, like the Empire State Building, were long enough then that I would HATE to see them during high season! And we didn't miss walking through Central Park or strolling through neighborhoods, like another poster said we would-that's what scarves and gloves are for. Go go go.