Kennebunk, Kennebunkport and Cape Porpoise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently saw a show on the Travel Channel about these towns at Christmas and they looked like the quintessential New England Christmas towns. I'm heading up to the Boston area this weekend for 5 days and was thinking about checking out the towns. I used to live in Boston but never made it up to Maine during Christmas. Cape Porpoise supposedly does a Christmas tree of lobster traps…looked like a “you have to see it to believe it” kind of thing. Any scoop on these towns during the holidays…worth checking out? If I do head up, any recommendations on restaurants? Many thanks!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:48 PM

So much is seasonal in those towns, and the Maine Coast can be awfully dreary unless there's a fresh blanket of snow...

You may want to consider Portsmouth, NH or Newburyport, MA which are beautiful during the holidays and everything is open year round.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 05:26 PM

This weekend happens to be Christmas Prelude in Kennebunkport, from Friday to Sunday. It really is fun and lovely to see, but I'm sure everything is booked, restaurants and inns alike. But the weather is supposed to be good, and it would be fun to walk around the towns and shop.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:31 PM

Looks like this Friday night has the tree in quesition:

7:00 PM – Cape Porpoise Lobster Trap Tree. Kennebunkport’s most original holiday decoration will be officially lit in Cape Porpoise Square with Christmas Caroling. Hot chocolate and cookies will be available at the Cape Porpoise Fire Station. Sponsored by The KBA, Silica, and Bradbury Brothers Market.

Here's the website:

http://www.christmasprelude.com/

Last year was coated with a thick (massive) blanket of snow. It was picture perfect.

This year, no snow, so not as picturesque. But the weather will be clear for travel - just very cold and windy.

Hope you can make it, and find it fun!

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks so much! I'm very excited to learn about the Prelude to Christmas taking place this weekend...perfect timing! Since it's a short drive from Boston, a day trip is in the making I think. Thanks again!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:37 PM

By the way... you asked for restaurants.

The most consistently good at a not-over-the-top price is Hurricane. It will be hopping the next two weekends! They put out great hors d'oerves Fridays for happy hour (5-7) !
Over-the-top would be White Barn, but I doubt reservations are available.
Most beautiful setting: On the Marsh.
Most romantic: Grissini.
Most funky, creative, unique, and organically delicious: Bandaloop

Hope this helps.

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 09:02 PM

It's a fantastic time of year to visit these wonderful coastal towns. There is a fabulous sense of community you just won't find during the dog days of high tourism. Decorating their storefronts, it is truly a lively fun time of year, contrary to another post. Wish we could join you in the festivities. There are plenty of affordable lodging choices in the area. I'd really consider spending the night anywhere up there and just enjoying the changing of seasons, and the offseason goodwill.
I hope to see this Travel Channel show you speak of. Sounds very interesting.
Best wishes
G
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone! I'm off to Boston in a few hours. Have a great weekend!
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:42 AM

Bon Voyage! Enjoy!
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

What a FAB-U-LOUS time we had at Christmas Prelude!! It was my first visit to the Kennebunkport area and I LOVED it...it was the quintessential Maine I imagined.

We got to town around 11:30 and drove to Cape Porpoise to see the Lobster Trap Tree...definitely the first lobster trap tree I've ever seen. Then we headed back in to Kennebunkport and put our name on the list for Hurricane (thanks Dreamer2)...only had a 45 minute wait so we hit a couple shops.

YUM YUM YUM doesn't even begin to describe the meal. As usual, the 3 of us ended up doing the communal meal because we all had delicious food - Maine Lobster Chowder, Five Onion Soup and Fall Harvest Soup (pumpkin, squash, cinnamon, nutmeg and cream base...it was like eating pumpkin pie), Fresh Maine Lobster Roll, Grilled Crabmeat and Havarti Sandwich and Pan-fried Haddock with garlic mashed potatoes and for dessert, we split a Liquid Center Chocolate Cake with Homemade Coffee Ice Cream and Bailey's Anglaise. Put a fork in us, we were done!

Fortunately we had a lot of walking to do to walk off the meal. After visiting a few shops, we got the scoop on the tree lighting in the Lower Village and walked over that way. We had a little time before the lighting and popped into Port Bakery for hot apple cider and heat (can anyone say burrrr).

Just before the lighting, we headed over to the tree and were entertained by the Kennebunk High Chamber Choir. They were TERRIFIC! After the lighting, we headed back into Kennebunkport for more shopping and then headed back to Salem, NH (where my friends live). There was a caroling procession to the monestary but it was a bit too cold for my friends (and they're the Yankees and I'm the Southerner!!) but I would have loved to seen it as I hear it is beautiful.

If you are ever near Kennebunkport the first two weekends of December, I highly recommend checking out Christmas Prelude (www.christmasprelude.com).

On the way home, we drove through Portsmouth, NH to look at lights...we were 30 minutes late for taking the candlelight tour of historic Portsmouth homes...next trip. We went to Newburyport, NH on Friday night for coffee and dessert at KB Bakery...again, yum yum. I feel like I ate my way through New Hampshire and Maine on this short trip!

This trip really made me miss living in New England during the winter...but then again, I don't miss shoveling 2 feet of snow so I think I'll stick with the visits!

Pics available at http://www.worldisround.com/articles/253376/index.html
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 10:54 AM

So glad you had a great time!
Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 11:46 PM

cheers and thanks for the wonderful report!