Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York City - Friends Visiting for two days - what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I live in Hoboken, NJ and work in Manhattan. Sadly enough, I do nothing touristy in the city, I just live here. I know it's pathetic, so let's move past that...

I have two friends visiting for wednesday and thursday and i'm looking for good ideas of things to do to entertain them...

I was thinking of a broadway show, either lion king, mary poppins, avenue q, or wicked - think any of these shows are available through TKTS? does anyone have any recent experience with TKTS...what was available?

what other options (besides MOMA - not really into modern art unless they have a cool exhibit).

any ideas are appreciated!
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM

well...who are you and your friends? Interests, age, budget constraints?

Here are my one-size-fits-all suggestions:

One museum:
Metropolitan Museum of Art. Something for everyone. The roof garden is fun, and the exhibit at the Costume Institute is about superhero costumes and fashion influenced by them.

Theater choice depends on ages and other factors
For example, 20s-40s seem to like/love Avenue Q. Older visitors may or may not enjoy.
Also, rather than TKTS and waiting in line, see what's available on BroadwayBox.com, Theatermania.com or playbill.com. You print out vouchers and can go right to the box office to get discounts almost as good as TKTS. No waiting on long lines, and you can pick the show and the exact seats.

With more info from you, you'll get lots of great suggestions

Old Jun 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Most visitors to NYC want to go to the top of a building to enjoy the view of the city. My favorite and the favorite of many here is Top of the Rock. You get a great view of the city, including the Empire State Building and don't have to stand in long lines. While at Rockefeller, check out the skating rink (a restaurant in warmer months) and the Christmas tree location. Many visitors like to see this spot even in summertime.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM

Knowing a little about your friends would help.

Agree the standards:

The Met

Top of the Rock

Staten Island Ferry

Par of Central Park (look at the web site)

As for a show I thin the only one you might have a chance for is Mary Poppins (didn't get great reviews). Have a look at broadwaybox.com to see who is offering discounts now.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:39 PM

Just put them on a red, double decker - hop on, hop off, bus and relax. They can see the entire city, get a marvelous narration, and truly see the city!