New York City with girls

Search

New York City with girls

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York City with girls

I am taking my four nieces, ages 10, 11, 12 and 13 to New York for a few days in July. Would it be a good idea to get a private tour guide who knows places they would enjoy and could give them insight into New York and its attractions? Do you know of any guides who would be good?
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 03:12 AM

It would help if you spoke to your 4 nieces and found out what they were interested in seeing in New York and if you gave us an idea of what you thought you were coming to see before asking a tour guide to read everyone's minds and come up with a plan.

As a licensed NYC tour guide who spent years showing my nieces around the city and who is now showing the Great nieces and nephews and who has a favorite client who brings each of his grandchildren when they turn 11 (I've had 3 - one more next year) I can tell you that each child is different.

If it is you and 4 nieces, you probably do need an extra set of hands in the beginning to teach them how to lead you around subways and buses and to explore some of the places you might not find easy going on your own.

If or when you do try to hire someone, I suggest you provide the information requested above and things like where are they and you from as well as the things that you already have planned for them and your budget.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 03:36 AM

If you are not familiar with the city, you could try a volunteer organization called Big Apple Greeters.

www.bigapplegreeter.org
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 10:11 AM

Big Apple Greeters are great - but they are volunteers and typically gie aout 3 hours of their time. Also, there are many more requests than there are greeters - so you have to apply in advance and hope for the best.

Agree that you need to provide more interest in the interests of the girls since it can make a huge difference in what you decide to do. We've entertained one cousin who lived for dance - and had to organize as many different types for her as possible. Another loved fashion so we did the Met costume institute and a tour of FIT and museum.

You might do different things if they love music or history or ???

And you could mix those in with many of the standards (Top of the Rock, the Met, Staten Island ferry, Central Park et al).
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

The girls have no special requests other than to see the sights. Of course we want to go to the Museum of Natural History, the Met, the Top of the Rock, Central Park, etc. We already have tickets to Wicked and hotel reservations at the Palace. We will try and go to Ellen's Stardust Diner, FAO Schwarz and Serendipity. I would like help because I am not familiar with the subway system and I know a New York guide would know interesting restaurants near the sights or museum areas that they would enjoy. I don't want to waste time being lost or wandering around.
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM

A Big Apple Greeter would be perfect for you. They specialize in orienting people to the city and the subway, provide a Metro pass for each and can focus on what you ask for - in your case possibly fun restaurants that are not too expensive and have menus that are accessible to kids that may not have very sophisticated palates yet. Can also reco a couple of cafes where they might see "someone" - yes, even at lunch.

Also, suggest you get a good street map and subway map now and study it together to get oriented to the immediate area of your hotel.

Don;t forget to visit Grand Central Station (gorgeous) and the main branch of the public library (a reference library with a beautiful reading room and exhibits that are always interesting.)
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 08:41 PM

Mar, sounds like you have plenty already on your agenda. It sounds like they (and you!)) will have a great time. I wouldn't add anything to that schedule except just to walk around and enjoy the sights.

You can see a subway map on the internet. But you can always ask for directions!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 03:09 AM

You've got it under control. Most of what you want to see is in midtown or short bus and subway rides up town and yes do add the library and Grand Central. For such a short time and a first visit, the view of the statue from the Staten Island Ferry will probably suffice unless the girls want to spend time on Ellis Island.

I would also add St John the Divine and the Museum of the City of NY to the list. What do the girls want to see in Central Park? How much walking are they used to doing? Will they/you be spending time shopping? They will love Top of the Rock and you might want to buy the combo ticket with MOMA - also a fun museum and check out Timeout for special concerts when you are here.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 03:18 AM

OOPs - Forgot the highline and Chelsea Market.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:47 AM

Just got back and bought Citypasses in advance (citypasses.com) You get tickets to several of the attractions you wish to see, somewhat of a discount on price AND most importantly to us, you don't have to stand in ticket lines. There are directions on the tickets for where to "present your ticket" at each place. Ours included Top of the Rock, Natural Museum, Metropolitan Museum, Ellis/Liberty, ESB, MOMA, and something else I've already forgotten!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
They'll like shopping in SoHo and at any of the H&M stores in town.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:03 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but even with the passes you still neeed to stand on line - just different ones. You stand n a ticket holder line versus a ticket buyer line. But then you still have to stand on an elevator line (ESB), ferry security line and SoL line - and the other places just don;thavel ines at all.

IMHO the passes are a waste - but once you've got them - run the $ to see if they pay off.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:43 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Go to the American Girl store. The oldest may think they are too old but it's an amazing place. Check it out.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

All of this sounds great, but I still have the same question. Would it make sense to get a guide to take us to all of these places in some kind of orderly fashion and where would I find such a guide (besides Big Apple Greeters)?
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
You could do research, plan the trip and lead the way yourself.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 09:41 PM

Mar... nothing really to add except can I be a niece? Sounds like it will be wonderful.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 02:54 AM

See my post above. Most guides are independent contractors. Me included. You can find me through my blog or at the Guide's Association website www.ganyc.org. We are in the middle of July now and you haven't said when you are actually here. If you want more than guide services, you could go to a Destination Management company like Beyond Times Square www.btsq.com

or you could just open a guide book and look at maps and engage your nieces in the process of doing it yourself.

Enjoy whatever you do.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 04:58 PM

I agree with starrs. You can enjoy your trip together with your niece. You just need to research best tourist spots in New York and you'll need a city map. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 09:09 PM

To get from the Palace to your various stops, plug in
both addresses here:

http://www.hopstop.com/?city=newyork
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 05:42 AM

It's almost the end of July - I wonder what the OP did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -