Reload this Page >

New York City Boroughs

Search

New York City Boroughs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:11 AM
Lu

New York City Boroughs

Someone on this website mentioned The "Rough Guide". I was previously a big "Access" travel book user for travel in the states and abroad (sorry, Fodors!), but Access hasn't updated theirs since 2000. I wanted to better reflect changes in NYC since 9/11.

Purpose of my babbling is to ask you self-proclaimed experts (tee hee), what you think of Rough Guides suggestion to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge into Brooklyn Heights? Not only for the great view of the city, but to get a feel of NYC outside of Manhattan.

I have relatives who long ago settled in Brooklyn, so I would love to experience a "neighborhood" while in the city.

Thanks....;-)

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:36 AM
Jim

I think it's a great idea. The Brooklyn Bridge is a beautiful old bridge, especially when you see it up close as you walk over it. You can then walk along the Promenade and through B-Heights and Cobble Hill.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:00 AM
suzanne

Walking over the bridge is a MUST. I live near Brooklyn Heights and walk over it every weekend.

Brooklyn Heights is a beautiful, quaint neighborhood of brownstones and tree-lined streets, and, of course, an amazing view of downtown Manhattan, from both the Promenade and the Pier at Fulton Landing. The pier is at the end of Old Fulton Street, which runs alongside/nearly under the bridge. On this street you'll find Grimaldis, the best pizza place in NY, and the River Cafe, a top-rated restaurant on the water. Right on the pier is a small lighthouse(?) that is home to the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, which has wonderful, super-fresh homemade ice cream.

Enjoy!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:07 AM
k

Great suggestion!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:54 AM
plummie

You might also want to take the subway to Brooklyn, stroll along the promenade, then walk back to Manhattan over the bridge. That way you have the Manhattan view the whole time. I second the nomination of Grimaldi's for really great pizza.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:50 AM
*s

A walk across the Brooklyn is a good idea but you are not going to get the feel "of NYC outside Manhattan" by walking to Broolyn Heights ande Cobble Hill - both are very upscale high rent areas. To get a good feel of Brookyn walk up to Atlantic Avenue and explore the area from Court street to Smith. You will witness diversity in action.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Peter

For a real treat I suggest taking the subway to Park Slope (F to 7 ave stop), check the www.mta.info site for map and other trains near by, and stroll along 7th avenue and thr around Prospect Park. The park is is almost more impressive than Central Park. The Brooklyn Museum - right by the Park - boast one the best collections of Egyuptian arifacts in the world. Also, shopping on 7th Avenue is a great experience.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:51 PM
gb

All great suggestions - really. The Bridge and Brooklyn heights are wonderful (and quick and easy from Manhattan). Prospect Park/Park Slope is a great area - a little further in and a real hidden gem to many New Yorkers (who would be lucky to find it on a map). As for Atlantic Ave and Smith St. being the "real" Brooklyn, I can think of a couple hundred thousand people in Bay Ridge or Bed-Stuy who might disagree (but with all due respect wouldn't go out of my way to visit any of the three - though, I kinda like Bay Ridge). Maybe you should try to find the neighborhood your relatives came from - a lot have maintained their original ethnic character - or adopted new. Incredible to visit and see neighborhoods that look like they've been transplanted from Russia, China, India or any variety of Carribean nations. Great place ... have a great trip!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Frank

Would this be a safe outing on a Monday late afternoon/early evening (July 1)? Is there an easy way to get back to the Times Square area via the subway in the evening?

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:54 PM
s

To get back to Times Square from the Brooklyn Bridge walk over to Park Place and Broadway - across from City Hall. Take a #1 or #2 train UPTOWN to TImes Square.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 02:50 PM
mjh

I would also like to know which of the areas mentioned are safe. I had read that all of the drug activity that used to be in Manhattan moved to the "outer boroughs" but I'm not sure where that is.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:35 PM
suzanne

Frank - Brooklyn Heights is super-safe any time of day or night. I live near the Heights, and walk home from the subway at 1:30 AM, no problem. It's overwhelmingly "white", more so than Manhattan, if that's a concern to you.

"s" gave you subway directions to Times Square from the Manhattan side of the bridge. From the Brooklyn side of the Bridge, take the A or C train. The Brooklyn Bridge subway entrance is on Cadman Plaza West, one block from Henry Street. It will take you to 42nd Street (& 8th Avenue).

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:11 PM
suzanne

mjh:
The Outer Boroughs have cleaned up just as much as Manhattan.

The Outer Boroughs consists of Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island. Together, they cover an area about 10x the size of Manhattan (maybe bigger?).

Most NYers, believe it or not, haven't really explored much of the outer boroughs. I know people in Manhattan who have never been to the other boroughs except for baseball games.

I'm certainly not an expert on what's safe and what's not in Brooklyn, except for the area around where I live. I've never felt unsafe in Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, most of Carroll Gardens, Bay Ridge and Williamsburg. I have not felt as safe in Bedford-Stuyvesant, the Navy Yard area, and Red Hook. There's just something a little ominous about empty streets and boarded-up buildings. There are about 100 other neighborhoods in Brooklyn which I've just driven through or never seen at all, so I couldn't give you a good opinion. The one overwhelming characteristic of Brooklyn is the ethnicity of the neighborhoods. You'll drive for 10 minutes through a Polish neighborhood, then hit an Arab one, then an Italian one, then a Chinese one, then a Hasidic Jewish one, a Hispanic one, a Caribbean one, Russian one....and on and on.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:11 PM
M

ttt

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:17 PM
ca

If you want to "experience" the barrios how about going to the Bronx Zoo? Definately a "real" neighborhood as opposed to all the rich white people in the Heights. Easy access too. The BX11 Express bus$3.00(from Manhattan you get them on Madison) or the 2 train- stop is Pelham Parkway.
Just a suggestion