Reload this Page >

New Years Eve at Times Square

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:25 AM
glen

We will be in NYC on New Years Eve this year. Is experiencing the New Year celebration in Times Square something one should experience, at least once in their lifetime?

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Dick

where are you coming from? Depends on the weather and if you like being corralled behind barracades for hours before midnight. Best to watch it on tv or get a good hotel room overlooking Times Sq. The best rooms are probably all reserved by now.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Elfie

Glen, it really depends on what you can handle, what you consider fun, how old you are, etc. I'm a New Yorker and would never go to Times Square on New Year's (not if you paid me), but I watch the ball drop on TV from the comfort of home. The things to know are: security is extremely tight, so don't plan on bringing anything with you. It will be cold -- maybe really, really cold, and you'll be outside for a long time because the crowds move slowly. It's EXTREMELY rowdy and noisy -- the crowds are generally young, pretty drunk and very boisterous, and everyone has noisemakers. There are so many cops around that violence is rare but pickpocketing has been known to happen. Getting out of TS is a bit of a challenge too. The trains will be packed with people coming in and leaving from the area. If you're young, have a lot of stamina and can handle the cold, crowds and noise, go for it, you'll probably get a kick out of it. If you come in to the city to stay over it would probably be much more fun for you, especially if you get a hotel room near the area. Have fun whatever you do.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:50 AM
bob

Avoid it at all costs! I spent a New Years Eve in Times Square in '93. I'll never go back. The biggest benefit is that I can warn people like you that it isn't worth attending. I was 14 blocks from the ball and couldn't see a thing. You are only near it if you go at around noon. Problem is that you can't leave. It was terrible, and the weather was great. Avoid the entire neighborhood on New Years. There is so much to do. Do anything else...

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Debby

Yes! Yes! Yes! We did it in 2001 on a blizzard week-end with our teen age kids. A great time was had by all. The city got 12 inches of snow. We did stay in Times Square-I would definitely suggest that since it makes life easy to have a pass to get in and out of the pens they set up near your hotel. If you stay in Times Square you can even do a play first and still have time to get in the pen near your hotel to see the action. My eldest son went out with friends ended back about 11:45 and still saw the fun. I'm jealous! have a great time!

Debby

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Philip

Stay away from Times Square. There will probably be lots of other activities going on in the city (dancing in Grand Central, etc). As the others have said, you have to stand in a coral for hours on end to experience the ball drop.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 10:36 AM
misha

My husband and I did Times Square. It was a blast. We ate dinner at the Howard Johnson's and then got a great place against the barracades. We waited 5 hours. Can't go the bathroom because you'll never get back to your place. You feel like sheep to slaughter all crammed together. We met a group of guys from the 82nd airborne(I think I have that right) and partied with them and a couple from the south(we're from Ontario Canada). When the festivities were over it was a bitch to leave. You could go only in one direction. I felt like we went via New Jersey to get back to our lodgings. That's how out of the way it was. Police were everywhere. One cop even took our picture. It's a zoo, it's a madhouse, it's absolutely crazy and I would never regret doing it. For a once in the lifetime experience it was worth it for us. You have to decide if it is worth it for yourself. If you can handle the absolute terror of being crammed in with thousands of people go for it. If not find a group of people in a bar, a hotel lounge or even at someones home and enjoy the experience on tv. No one will think you wimp for giving it a pass. I hope my experience helps you with your decision.