Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel in Oahu....Your Advice Needed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Lenore

We have been researching Oahu hotels on Waikiki and think the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel is right for us, both price & location wise. If you have any "rants or raves" for this hotel, please share! Thanks....

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 03:00 PM
local

Can't really tell you 'cause I've never stayed there, but I live on O'ahu and I'm always at Sans Souci Beach which borders the hotel. Though it's not in the same league as either the Halekulani or Royal Hawaiian, I like the Kaimana because of its location which is away from all the busy-ness of central Waikiki. There is a nice small beach in back of the Otani(with no road dividing the hotel from the beach), Kapiolani Park is in front of it, and there is a very pleasant seaside promenade that takes you to the center of Waikiki (15 minute slow walk). It used to be one of the great secret spots of Waikiki, ideal for a honeymoon, etc., though I don't know how it's managed these days....

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 12:25 AM
Steve

I stayed at the New Otani last March. It was a nice little hotel if you don't plan on spending much time in your room. Don't expect comfort and luxury but it is clean. My fiance and I were in Oahu for 3 days and it suited us just fine for a place to put our heads down after a day of sightseeing, dinner and drinks. It is hard to complain about anything when you're in Hawaii. Get back to me if you want any tips!

Old Mar 1st, 2003, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lenore-
I have been doing research on the Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel as well for a short stay in Oahu. We mainly need a place to sleep as we hopefully will be spending our days at Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, etc. Website looks fine and they offer a better price than some of the cheaper internet browsers do. Let me know if you go. I would be interested in your experience as wel!
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 10:01 PM

Lenore-
Just wanted to let you know that I found more info. on the Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel in Oahu on this site from a fodorite that has stayed their in the last 2 yrs. Simply type in Oahu and Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel in the text search and scroll down to the msg:#13 Any comments on these Oahu hotels? for her description of pros and cons.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 10:37 PM

Try to get a "junior suite" that has a wrap around balcony that looks out over the ocean. The rooms that face the park are small and grim.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:26 AM

Lenore, we stayed at the New Otani Kaimana in September and were very pleased with our choice. We had a sixth floor corner regular room (not a suite) with a wraparound balcony. I would specify "corner" room when booking. The room was small but it was great lying in bed with the sliding door open looking at the lights of Waikiki and the soft breeze wafting in. No bugs, no pests, except perhaps once when a pigeon wandered in to say hello. It is next to Kapliolani Park, which you walk through to get to Waikiki (about a 15 minute walk). I liked being out of the hustle and bustle of the city, yet within walking proximity. The Hau Tree restaurant in the hotel is beautifully located - right on the beach - good food, not extremely pricey (and breakfast was included in our room price.) The service at reception, valet parking and room service was to our satifaction. Sans Souci Beach is ideal for swimming. You can watch surf lessons right off the balcony. Feel free to ask me any other questions - happy to help. I think you have chosen well.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:34 AM

P.S. There are three photos of our stay at the hotel in our Oahu album on Webshots. You can view them at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/maggiwun
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:37 PM

Maggi-
Did you have a problem securing a smoke-free room? Someone messaged on a similar topic and said that the hotel could not be guarantee them a smoke free room due to the large Japaneese population that frequents the hotel and smokes, however, this was a couple of years ago.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:40 PM

(sheepishly) Well...we are smokers, so we actually asked for a smoking room. I can't say the room smelled at all smokey to me, but a nonsmoker might notice it. We had the sliding door open the whole time and there was a great breeze so the room was well aired out.