Resortquest (Aston) Waikiki or Outrigger Waikiki on the beach? -Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are taking our first trip to Hawaii (Oahu) Nov. 25 - Dec. 2.
We have a room booked at the Resortquest Waikiki, but are considering changing to the Outrigger Waikiki.
We would really love to stay on the beach. It is about $600 more to stay at the Outrigger, but we are willing to pay if it will be worth it.
We are 26 & 34, so we definitely want a fun atmosphere.
The Outrigger looks like it is right in the middle of things in Waikiki. My main concern is it being too crowded of a beach area to really relax.
Any info on crowds this time of year and the hotel options would be greatly appreciated. Thank You my fellow Fodorites
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:19 AM

Hi hootiehoo01,
Which ResortQuest Waikiki are you booked at? They have about 6 different ones with Waikiki in the name. IMHO there are lots of different ways for you to look at the sitation. I've been there a few times during your dates and it's not as busy then as other times, but if you're looking for a quiet, secluded, romantic beach, that probably isn't what you have in mind. There are lots of beautiful, very quiet beaches you can find along the east coast of the island. If you have a rental car, you can have it all, the fun and nightlife of the Waikiki area by night and some great places to relax by day.
This might also help with your hotel choice problem. If you go to other beaches, it might not matter to you if you're actually "on" the beach and you can get a car with the $600 you save. But being devil's advocate, if it's your first trip to Hawaii, being "on" the beach will be a real treat. Especially if you have a room with a view, every time you look out the lanai you'll be blown away. If you want a ResortQuest hotel, you might consider Waikiki Beachside it's on the beach and is romantic. Waikiki Beach Hotel is also on the beach and good for active people. If you're looking at Outrigger, OR Reef on the Beach might be a fun place for you to be. In the middle of the action, good restaurants, close to lots of places you can walk to.
Hope this helps.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:19 AM

I am choosing between the same two hotels for our trip next year! We are in our late twenties and like a fun atmosphere like you.

We have been to Waikiki once before and loved it. Last time we stayed at the Waikiki Circle (ResortQuest) (across the street from the beach) and had an ocean view room - great price and a view of all the action on the beach. We loved the location and just crossing the street to the beach didn't bother us. We split our time between Waikiki - the beach, learning to surf and soaking up the atmosphere - and exploring the rest of Oahu.

For our next trip, at the moment I think we will go for an oceanfront room at the ResortQuest Waikiki Beach. Though it would be great to be in the middle of things at the Outrigger Waikiki we have decided its not worth the extra. The Resortquest is right across from the beach, and it looks to me like it has better views than the Outrigger(important for us), and is not far from the action anyway (no where in Waikiki is far from the action!).

Its a personal choice really - we have decided we'd rather spend the extra money on eating out at fancier restaurants and doing some more activities.

If you will be spending alot of time on the beach maybe it is worth the extra to stay at the Outrigger. But, if you will be out exploring and doing activities as well, it might not be worth it.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:01 AM

I'm with you optimystic. Rather spend the $ on fun things or nice meals. Unless there's a great deal where you can get it all 8-)
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:47 AM

We have stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki on the beach and loved it. Its a great place. There are a few restaurants right in the hotel, including Dukes, it seems to be right smack in the middle of the action, and we were very pleased with the staff.

I don't know the other place, but I'm sure you could find tons of reviews on tripadvisor that might give you a great overview of both properties.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! We are currently booked at the Resortquest Waikiki On the Beach. The name is a bit deceiving since it is actually across the street from the beach. This is what led to our dilema. My boyfriend REALLY wants to be on the beach.
Optymistic- I'm with you on saving the extra cash to do more activities, but since this is our Christmas gift to each other, we have plenty saved to do just about everything (i hope!)
I'm the budget minded one, but my man really wants to go all out. Who knows when we'll make it back. I just don't want to spend extra money to be on the beach and then have to go to another one to lay out because it's too crowded...
By crowded, I mean shoulder to shoulder. The photo on the Outrigger website of the beach area looks like a zoo!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:41 PM

If you really want to be on the beach, look at Outrigger Reef on the Beach. It is less expensive than either of the other two & is still a good hotel & in a good location.

All hotels in Waikiki are in decent locations. Some better than others.

Map of most Wikiki hotels & condos.

http://www.waikiki.us/waikikimap.htm...260bb1d8c8b18a
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:16 PM

Hi:

We stayed at the Outrigger on the Beach in May and thought it was great. I booked a cityside room and we got an ocean front room without charge. The beach (remember this was May) wasn't crowded. It is Waikiki and of course there are people. That being said, I hope you will explore the rest of the island and the other beaches (North Shore etc.) which were nearly deserted and beautiful! It was nice to comeback from touring int he late afternoon and just walk downstiars to the beach and pool and grab a drink at Duke's. I haven't stayed at the other, so I can't compare.
Kristen
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

dusty - i was looking into the outrigger reef, but it appears to be under construction.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:27 AM

Hi hootiehoo01

I think the beach tower (or whatever the building nearest the beach is called) of the Outrigger Reef is under renovation at the moment, but the other buildings are open. Not sure what the disruption is like though.

We went to Waikiki in May last time, and the beach around the Outrigger/Royal Hawaiian/Sheraton was crowded and I think May is out of season. (However I didn't find it TOO crowded) I think further up the beach (towards the Hilton and Outrigger Reef) is less crowded.

It sounds like being on the beach would really make your trip. Why not take a look on tripadvisor - I find their "Candid traveler photos" can be really useful, these might help you to see how crowded it is around each of the beach hotels.

optimystic.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

thanks a lot optimystic. i will check out trip advisor today for sure. the outrigger website says the lobby of the reef will be under construction starting october 1 through next march. i don't think i want to deal with walking through a construction zone to get to my room, so we're steering clear of that hotel. it's not that much cheaper that it really makes a difference anyway. we're looking at ocean view/front rooms at all hotels and those are fairly pricey no matter where we stay.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 02:57 AM

No problem. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out - I'm interested to hear for my trip next year!

optimystic.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Well after much review and discussion, we have decided to stay at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Tripadvisor had some great traveler's pix and reviews. For our first trip to Hawaii it is well worth the extra cash to stay right on the beach and in the middle of the action.
I will definitely post a trip review with pix once we get back!
Thanks to everyone for their input.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 01:24 AM

Hootie, based on my experiences in Waikiki...you defintely made the right choice!
First trip to Hnl, we stayed at Outrigger Waikiki and loved it. It is, both literally and in atmosphere, right in the middle of the action in Waikiki.
You'll be right next door to the Sheraton Moana Surfrider. Try to go there, for a drink under the huge banyan tree, or just stroll through the lobby and upstairs to the historical room, for a feel of Waikiki's history.