Notices

New Orleans - Top Restaurants

Old Jun 9th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans - Top Restaurants

Hello Everyone!

I am taking my wife to NO for her 40th bday and would like to take her one night to an amazing restaurant, one that has a top star chef and is an experience in atmosphere and cuisine. Money is not in question here, so it doesn't matter to me if it is $10 a plate or $50. I just want it to be amazing, such as a top named chef's restaurant, and we will walk out amazing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as neither of us have ever been to NO. I am assuming we will try to get a hotel near the french quarter. No idea on a hotel yet either. Thanks!
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 05:12 PM

You don't want a hotel NEAR the French Quarter - you want to be IN the quarter. There are some extremely high crime areas right nearby that you must avoid at all costs.
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 08:24 PM

Here are the ones we enjoyed on our trip last fall:
R'Evolution (dinner)
Bayona (dinner)
Restaurant August (dinner)
Galatorie's (dinner)
Mr. B's (jazz brunch)
Brennan's (breakfast)
SoBou (lunch)
Mureil's (lunch)
Camelia Grill (lunch)
Commander's Palace (jazz brunch)
Sucre (just for chocolates)
Emeril's (for banana cream pie)
Cafe Beignet (Beignets)
Cafe du Monde (Beignets)
I have a trip report around here somewhere if you want more details. We stayed at Hotel Monteleone. Loved it all. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 08:25 PM

oops - that's Galatoire's. Also one of our favorite experiences during an amazing 5 days of eating.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 03:12 AM

You cannot beat the Galatoire's experience. They do not take reservations, but the line moves according to what tables come up ( they don't put two people at a four top, even if thy are ahead in line). Dress up. It matters here especially but generally in NO.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 05:02 AM

Bayona. hands down.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 06:14 AM

Agree that you want to look at hotels in the Quarter. there are hotels on Canal that are fine, and some in the convention center area on the river that are a streetcar stop away from the Quarter. I've stayed in all those areas, and I still like staying right in the Quarter the best, so much to do right outside the doors.

On my last trip in April I stayed At the Four Points in the quarter. Nice pool which would be great in summer. Reasonable rates, good solid hotel with good service. On Bourbon, but side st. Is quiet and we just exited and walked down the side st. there are older hotels with much more charm in the Quarter, perp as try one of those for this special occasion. The Monteleone perhaps? It is a well-known luxury hotel. Or one of the smaller and older boutique hotels.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 06:37 AM

I would vote for Commander's Palace
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 06:51 AM

Definitely stay at the Four Points by Sheraton/French Quarter. It's centrally located in the Quarter making walking an easy choice for transportation. Bourbon or Toulouse Street rooms are VERY noisy, but the balconies can't be beat for people watching or just taking a break from NOLA. However, courtyard facing rooms are much quieter if that's what you would prefer.
I'd also suggest Muriel's for a lunch. The food and service is wonderful and they also have a great balcony to have an oh, so tasty beverage (food isn't served on the balcony) and watch Jackson Square.
Congratulations on the choice of a wonderful town to celebrate your wife's birthday!
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 01:07 PM

Go to Commander's Palace and book the Chef's Table. This sounds like exactly what you are looking for. I found this account of another couple who did this for a 40th birthday celebration: http://www.yumsugar.com/Commander-Pa...Table-23865544
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 05:18 PM

Wow iggy, that is a GREAT link. It makes me want to go to the chefs table at CP for my 60th birthday 2 yrs from now!!!!!
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 12:00 PM

We ate 4 really good dinners in 5 nights - Bayona, Mila, Commander's Palace and Emeril's. for food, we liked Emeril's best, for atmosphere, Bayona, but all of them were good. Emeril's banana cream pie is absolutely amazing. Enjoyed Johnny's Po Boy for breakfast (greasy spoon, very good food) and Camellia Grill for lunch.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 02:45 PM

We loved Nola( Another Emeril restaurant) and Coquette. Red fish Grill was quite delish too. Didn't enjoy Muriel's at all.
Coming from Canada we found the prices at all the restaurants quite reasonable.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:30 AM

We must echo all of the sentiments about Bayona - Susan Spicer does it RIGHT! Let them know that you are celebrating a special occasion and they treat you like royalty. Save room for dessert!
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:35 PM

One of the most romantic dinners ever: Bayona