Notices

Top gourmet restaurants in New Orleans

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top gourmet restaurants in New Orleans

There's a lot of info ot there on restaurants in the Big Easy. I'm curious if we have two dinners to do, two breakfasts (one before we leave to catch our flight) and possibly one lunch (which we tend to skip -- people just eat toooo much -- any suggestions.

I've read about some of the must do stuff. I'm very interested in the top gourmet and quality food -- especially for dinner. I missed the Gourmet Magazine and Bon Appétit issues on New Orleans so it's hard to read what they said.

Any suggestions.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:08 PM

Galatoire's - dinner
August - dinner
ACME - lunch or dinner
Pelican Club - dinner
Red Grill Fish - dinner
Breakfast/Brunch - Palace Cafe
Mr. B's Bistro - lunch

we go to new orleans every year, we tend to skip b-fast and focus on lunch and dinner.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 11:01 AM

You might want to check at chowhound.com. There's a busy New Orleans food board there. Although I've never been, if I was looking for top of the line dining in New Orleans, I'd be heading to Peristyle. Jean
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 03:29 PM

I have to cast my vote for Commander's Palace. It has been a favorite of ours for almost 25 years.Try getting reservations in the garden room. The food has always been good but the service is what has made us feel pampered.I would love to be able to go there several times a year (since we live here) but then where would I go for special??
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 05:23 PM

My husband and I are going this coming weekend for Jazz Fest. This trip, we plan to have dinner at Lilette and Peristyle. On past trips, we've enjoyed Bayona, Antoine's, Irene's, Acme Oyster House, Tujaques, Jacque Imo's... Did not enjoy Sunday brunch at Commander's Palace. Still have yet to get to August!
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks

What is Cuvée like? Do you know anthing about the Court of the Two Sisters? Touristy? Over-rated? Good?
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 08:33 PM

Swannee, I haven't been to either Cuvee or Court of Two Sisters. Cuvee is definately on our list. Court of Two Sisters is not. We've been by and, while the outdoor courtyard looks so pretty, I hear the food and service are awful. If they allow it, I'd love to go there for coffee or a drink.

I'm sure there's someone else here with more information on both these restaurants. When are you going?
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

I'm going mid-May after the Jazz fest on the way back from a sailing trip in the Caribbean -it's going to be an exciting trip

on a different note -- does anyone know how much it costs approximately for a carriage ride?

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 02:17 AM

I've written about Court of the Two sisters before here. It is a lovely patio that has dwindled over the years into a tourist swindle:

check out this fodors forum link:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34460430

Top food would be: Peristyle (I'm not a big fan but if you want the latest in NO trendy food, this is it)

Stella: a little off the tourist path but very good.

I prefer to go to Galatoires myself. I like classic French/New Orleans cuisine and traditions. It is a great restaurant that has not fallen prey to fad.

LMF
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Swannee, Haven't been on a carriage ride, but I heard the drivers offerring rides for $10.00 a person. That was to a group, I don't know if it would be more if there were just one or two people.

As an aside, one of my traveling companions won the Gumbo Ya Ya 'Guess the weight of the world's largest praline' contest last weekend at Quarter Fest. They're sending him a case of pralines! What in the world does a person do with a case of pralines????? Jean
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 06:53 AM

I was not impressed wit the service at the Court of Two Sisters, but I enjoyed the food. It was very late at night before I could eat again.....tend to stuff myself at buffets! Yes, it is touristy.

I failt to understand how anybody could "not enjoy Commander's Palace". I have only had lunch there, but it was such a pleasant experience. Really got the feeling that they would go to extremes to make you happy.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 10:33 AM

atticus, I am willing to consider that it may have been the company I was in that made the experience lackluster. Please tell me what it is that you (or others) find so exceptional about Commander's Palace. Thanks.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Whenever I have eaten at Commander's I have been treated like there was no one more important there than me. The attention to minor details & the meal presentation made me feel pampered. I enjoy the easy elegance that hints at how NO society used to be.

Sunday brunch might be different but try dinner there. My favorite is the pecan crusted fish & chocolate fudge sheba for dessert. Beware the dessert is truly death by chocolate!
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 06:04 PM

Dear Swanee: Four good choices (and there are many more): Commander's, Mr. B's Bistro, Brennen's, and Patout's.

David "The Nac" Naccari
www.hystericalhistory.com
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Went to Cuvee in Dec. It was good.
Peristyle is supposed to be good as well. DO NOT waste your time and money on Commanders. It sucks , plain and simple. Highly overrated.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 07:16 AM

I agree with benj. dita, please explain your "...it sucks" comment. What about Commander's Palace did I miss? I couldn't find a thing about the place that "sucked". You are not alone in your comment. In fact, sometimes I think your opinion is the majority, I just don't undrstand why?
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Dan

I think 95% of the people who step foot in Commander's enjoy their meal. I truly find it hard to believe that it "sucked" even if it was just a ho-hum meal by Commander's standards. I think people build it up so high it can't always succeed perceptionwise, but it's always been good the 30-40 times I've eaten there!
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 08:23 AM

Swannee,

Our old favorites in New Orleans are Galatoire's and Commander's Palace.

On recent visits we have enjoyed Lilette and Stella! .

I can't imagine a really bad meal at Commander's Palace, but to each his own!

Byrd
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 08:25 AM

For the record, I am NOT in the same camp as dita. Commander's Palace was not one of my favorite dining experiences, but in no way did it "suck".
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Wow to all of you thanks, I guess New Orleans is not the place to go to if one wants to diet!!!

All the restaurants you all mention sound soooo good -- we're not going to have time to do everything -- we'll have to come back.
On a different note -- how touristy is Emeril's Place -- and is it any good?

Also is Bayona the place with a well-known lady chef??

And where does one get the best coffee? Café du Monde or most place? I'm very used to real café au lait and coffee mixed with chicory which is how I gather the coffee is often done in NO.

We're leaving on Thurs on our trip but will be in NO in a couple of weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information