Search

new orleans hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new orleans hotels

looking for help picking a hotel. first time in new orleans and looking for a french quarter local, we want to walk to most things. a nice pool is a plus as is top service. price is not a major thing. were thinking about the omni royal orleans but were still looking for some input. thanks for any help.
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:54 PM

We loved the Hotel Monteleone. Located on Royal Street, within walking distance to most everything. Fabulous service, great bar, most comfortable bed and elegant.

The Omni is a nice looking hotel from the outside...just never stayed there.
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:56 PM

Forgot to add:
http://www.hotelmonteleone.com
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:59 AM

We stayed at the Omni Royal and loved it. Perfect location, like a block and a half from Bourbon Street. We had a petite suite or junior suite. While it was on the small side, there were just two of us so it made it cozy and romantic. The hotel is beautiful, the service was wonderful, and the lobby bar is a great place to relax or start the evening.

I also really liked the Chateau Sonesta. The rooms are much bigger here, and still a perfect location a few blocks from the action. I'd recommend either of these hotels.
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Forgot to add that the Omni has a nice pool, it is small, but its on the roof. We only spent a few hours there but enjoyed it.
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:32 AM

We stayed at the Monteleone and found the service extremely poor - as well as the cleanliness of the rooms questionable at best.

I beleive they had just had some sort of event during which the hotel had been filled with college students - but IMHO you should still not be sent upstairs to rooms with wet towels on the floor and 2-day old food under the furniture.
Old May 9th, 2004, 01:50 PM

That was not our experience at the Hotel Monteleone when we were there one month ago. In fact, it was the cleanest most comfortable hotel room I have been in. The batroom was spotless, even under the bed was free of dust bunnies.

Sounds like nytraveller experienced an isolated incidence.
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

any more tips thanks
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:16 PM

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton (on Canal Street at Dauphine) last August and were thoroughly impressed. We booked an incredible deal on the internet. The hotel was converted from the former Maison Blanche Department Store and has large, spacious, beautifully appointed rooms. If the price is too high at the Ritz, try the Monteleone. We haven't stayed there since 1995, but both of the times we've stayed there we were very pleased. The location is superb, right across Royal Street from Mr. B's Bistro. The hotel has a parking lot which is entered from Iberville, the ideal street from which to enter and exit the French Quarter in a car. The Marriott is nice and is on Canal not too far from both Royal and Bourbon Sts. Just across Canal is the JW Marriott, formerly the LeMeridien. That hotel has a fabulous spa, the best we've run across in a New Orleans hotel. We stayed at the Omni Royal Orleans once, but our room was very cramped. The location is excellent, however, and the service is wonderful. Any of these places will provide you with the location you're seeking. Be sure and ride the St. Charles streetcar at some point during your stay. We love to board the car at the corner of Canal and Carondelet and ride it to the end of the line at Carrolton Avenue. The line goes through the Garden District, Uptown, and Riverbend. You'll be impressed by the gorgeous mansions along St. Charles Avenue. You can easily hop off the car and walk along any of the side streets along the way. Be careful in the Lower Garden District (particularly the streets named for the Greek muses--Thalia, Erato, etc.) because walking there can be dangerous. Beginning with Jackson and on into the Upper Garden District, any of the streets are safe. Anne Rice's house is at First and Chestnut Streets on the river side of the line.
Enjoy your trip!
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:28 PM

Also, use the search engine in this forum with the words New Orleans, N.O., NOLA and MCO. There are bunches of previous threads regarding New Orleans...
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:47 AM

We stayed at the Windsor Court last September and absolutely loved it. Gorgeous suite, great location (we walked everwhere), wonderful & personal service, lovely rooftop pool and small gym. Pool does get better morning sun than late afternoon. We did not rave about the main restaurant, but loved their Sunday jazz brunch and afternoon tea service. Have fun!
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:17 AM

If you will consider a small property, have a look at Lafitte Guest House. Only a dozen or so rooms in an 1800's mansion on the quiet side of Bourbon Street. Las week, we stayed in room 33, a large suite with eastern king bed, sitting room, pretty antiques, private balcony with beautiful views and excellent, friendly service. They made a fan for life in me!

www.lafitteguesthouse.com
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Not just with the Hotel Monteleone, but also with other properties, it is just amazing how you can get such 180 degree differences in experiences. I was very complimentary on the maids being quiet and un-intrusive during our entire three day stay....last month.

As they say, you put four people on four sides of a street corner and you'll get four different versions of how the accident happened.
Old May 21st, 2004, 11:40 AM
Dan

I stayed at the Monteleone a few years ago and it was major-league tired. I know they've remodeled since but you can't change small rooms!
Old May 21st, 2004, 03:16 PM

I stayed at the Montelone two years ago for one night while down at Jazz Fest (we ended up moving around a lot). The rooms did seem a bit tired but clean, big, and comfortable enough. They do have a nice pool on the roof. Cool bar. I know some rooms are nicer than others... I have no idea what we ended up with... hopefully the lesser rooms.

My friends love the place... then again, they always go during Mardi Gras, so they would be too drunk to notice minor details.
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:44 PM

We were at the Moneteleone last November and had a "Junior Suite" on a corner with views of the Mississippi out one side. The rooms are small-ish, but lushly appointed. The whole hotel has been totally re-done and most rooms are regular doubles, but some are the jr. suite with a living room. The bathrooms are fabulous. The maid service was very good. And the concierge, a Swedish lady who's been there over 20 years, is the best in New Orleans!
They have the Carousel Bar and a couple of nice restaurants, too. My husband used the workout room on the top floor with the pool--views of the river.
Vera
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:54 AM

We just returned from there a few weeks ago. The International House is on the edge of the french quarter. Very modern and chic place. Reasonable rates. I have also stayed at the Ritz, very nice as well but more $$$. The Wyndham in the french quarter is nice and within good walking distance.

Be sure to eat at Cafe Cuvee for a very nice meal, it is a little pricy. Also try Mr. B's Bistro and get the gumbo ya ya. Excellent food.

Have fun.