New Orleans- Hotel for husband's 30th

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to surprise my husband with a getaway in Febuary....mabye the 7th-11th....to New Orleans.. The airfare is reasonable but I am looking for a few suggestions on reasonable B&B's or hotels....in the French Quarter...or just in a good location. Again I don't want this to break the budget...want to keep it reasonable..( I know that is relative)....Any suggestions would be great.

PS. I have read the temps are in the 40-50's is this true??? That seems cool?

Thanks,
Robyn
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Try the Maison DePuy on Toulouse, they have a Web site. It's in walking distance of anywhere in the Vieux Carre and along the river. The finest restaurants are in the area, too. My favorite in Bayona on Dauphine, also has a Web site.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 11:29 AM

We had a great time at the Orleans Courtyard Hotel in Metairie.

Mellow, but close to everything.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 12:14 PM

I enjoyed the Ritz Carlton. It's close enough to walk to everything and is quiet if you get an inside room. The rooms facing Canal might have traffic sounds.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 12:20 PM
ltt

check out the reviews of the chateau motor hotel. it's been several years since i stayed there but i really liked it. it was a few blocks away from the noisy area, close to the river and lots of restaurants. the room was quite small but i'd go back.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Airfare might be reasonable, but hotels might not be since you're wanting to visit at the beginning of Carnival. Even though the actual date for Mardi Gras is February 20th, the parades start on the 6th. Good luck!!
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Honeymoon, when I stayed at the Ritz it was the first week or middle week of Mardi Gras, the morning we checked out the prices were going to double. It was great for watching the parades as they went right by the hotel.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Dan

Some great B&Bs in town. Try www.neworleansinns.com or www.bbnola.com, two extensive directories.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 06:12 PM

About the weather. Early February is usually the coldest time of year in New Orleans, and 40's-50's would not be unheard of (with 20's at night being about the coldest it gets).

However, it could also be in the 60's or even 70's if you get lucky. It just depends on what weather system is affecting the area. Also, you can plan that it will probably rain at least one day while you're here (sometimes a torrential downpour).

Truthfully, early February is not the best time to visit, but if you're from up North it will seem downright balmy to you. Good times are still to be had though.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 06:22 PM

Hands down, for a reasonably priced and charming hotel, check out the Hotel Provincial. I've been to New Orleans four times, and stayed there four times -- the service is stellar, and it's in a really great part of the Quarter, walking distance to everything. Rates vary a lot there, as do all the rooms (all are different, 4 courtyards, just charming old style) We've gotten rates that have varied from $79 to $179 at different times for different roooms. Also, it's on the Fauborg Marigny side of the Quarter so easy to get up that way to check out this part of town, a great spot for music, etc... Glad to see tourists supporting Nola! I am heading down in 2 weeks.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM

Do NOT stay in Metairie! It's not close and there isn't much to do there.

If you can swing it, stay in the French Quarter/Faubourg Marigny area as that is where all of the fun jazz clubs, nightlife and restaurants are.

Another option is to stay somewhere that's on the other side of Canal Street in the CBD (Central Business District) which would still be within walking distance to the Quarter during the day, but quite a bit less expensive. You should probably take a cab home at night though, which is no big deal and not very expensive.

The Soniat House is gorgeous, romantic and would be perfect--not sure what your price range is though? The Omni Hotels are very nice too.

French Quarter
http://www.soniathouse.com/

www.omniroyalorleans.com

http://www.travelguides.com/home/cornstalk/

http://www.bienvillehouse.com/

http://www.bourbonorleans.com/

CBD
The Omni Royal Crescent (different than the other Omni) is nice but website says it doesn't open until February 1.

http://www.druryhotels.com/properties/neworleans.cfm

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:47 AM

We visit NO fairly often and have been there several times for anniversaries. Our favorites are the Windsor Court (CBD) and the Pontchartrain (Garden District). Both are extremely nice for special occasions and are convenient to the Quarter (via taxi, trolley, and we walk from the Windsor). We've found very good deals on their web sites. [The Pontchartrain screwed up our reservation one year and they ended up bumping us up to the Presidential Suite - which took up the entire top floor - that was an anniversary to remember!] We also like the suites at the Intercontinental - also very nice.

As ccolor says, you are getting into Carnival season so not sure whether you'll find many deals, but sure worth a try.

bkluvsNola pretty much pegged the weather.

Good luck.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM

My husband and I are going to New Orleans in May and have reservations at the Place d'Armes in the French Quarter. We have not stayed there before, but from the research I have done, it looks like a really good place and gets good reviews - everything we were looking for and a nice price. We have a courtyard room reserved for $123/night AAA rate, including breakfast.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:23 PM

The Windsor Court is hands down the nicest hotel in the city...BUT since Robyn said she wants to keep it reasonable am not sure this is the hotel for her. I must say though, it really is a delightful place.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM

Just returned from NOLA during Christmas....FABULOUS.

We stayed at the Monteleone and wouldn't have traded it for anything. I believe we pricelined the rooms - $109 a night. This is one of NOLA's most historic and elegant hotels. It's in the French Quarter (Royal and Iberville streets) and is a short walking distance from everything. I highly recommend it. There's also the famous Carousel Bar in the hotel, which rotates. People come visit the hotel just to see/drink at the bar. A conveniently wonderful night cap/day drink.

Very cool ghost tour that you can take via provided ipods by the hotel.

The Windsor Court is lovely, but very old-English style...doesn't remind me of NOLA culture. It's also not in the French Quarter.

Good luck!